Used 2005 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Please give me a 6th gear!!
By Copywrites

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

If you like the sound of a high-revving engine, you will love the Element. If you like good gas economy, you will hate the Element. After 3 years of ownership, it is a love-hate relationship. I love the versatility - I can carry almost anything from bicycles inside the cargo area, to washing machines. But the high pitch whining of the engine drives me crazy knowing that a 6th gear or revised gearing would probably deliver me an extra 4-5 MPG. It has been one of my most favorite vehicles to own, but I won't buy another unless it breaks the 30 mpg barrier. Next car will be a Nissan Cube - similar quirkiness and functionality, good gas mileage. That is the magic combination in my opinion

Favorite Features

Cargo area versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Add a 6th gear for gas economy! Don't need that instant response at highway speeds.

In My Element
By skinnerp

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. AWD only kicks in when front tires slip and works perfectly, tons of interior room, sporty handling, and averages 24 mpg on the highway. Only maintenance required is changing the oil and filter. Everything works! One warranty repair of a seat belt buckle sensor in 40K miles.

Favorite Features

AWD, rear opening side doors, fold down tailgate, sound system w/input for ipod, seat comfort, washable floor.

Suggested Improvements

Switched power outlet is only on when the ignition is on, making it impossible to charge gadgets when parked.

I love my Element
By hppywife

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband bought me my Element for our anniversary. I love it. I drove a Cavalier and I am more then happy with the trade. My kids have so much room and it is a fun family vehicle. It doesn't have the get up and go like I am use to but it has a lot more room and a lot more reliable. My kids love their sun roof. I just love this ride.

Favorite Features

The roomy interior. The look. The view you get.

Suggested Improvements

It could use more get up and go power. It could also be a little more fuel efficient.

I love this car!!
By Jaymi

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2007 Civic brand new last year and, while I loved it, it was terrible once winter hit. I traded it in for a 2005 Element and regretted it. Now, after owning the Element for about 6 months, I wouldn't give this car up for anything. I recently had to buy another Civic because of a new job with a long commute (the gas mileage is a lot better) and I feel terrible leaving the Element in the garage while I go to work. This is truly the best car I have ever owned. The Element has an incredibly smooth ride, is easy to park, has a ton of room and is great for dog owners. I can spill things and not worry about them at all!

Favorite Features

no carpeting, lots of room, smooth ride, interesting look, stadium seating, AWD

Suggested Improvements

better acceleration

Good reliable car
By Ross

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car initially b/c of it's roominess. I am 6'4 and I don't think there is any other small SUV with this much room. I would also put it to the test even with the large SUVs. Easy to get in and out of. Gas mileage is better than most SUVs. Easy to keep clean. And, it's the perfect car for city driving and parking. Just enough performance on the road to keep up with everyone. I will own this car likely until it dies. 40,000+ miles in two years and no problems whatsoever (except for chipped windshield).

Favorite Features

Great sound system, tons of room, thanks to it's boxy frame. Decent gas mileage for an SUV. Relatively comfortable, but could be better.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is pretty bad.