2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
2005 Honda Element AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl)
By Scott on 11/12/09 12:02 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever purchased. I originally purchased it for myself till my wife drove it one day and it's been hers ever since. We are getting 24-25 mpg out of it. Tire wear has been excellent and performance is within reason. (It is a small SUV with a 4cyl. that is shaped like a brick.) The only regrets she has is she wishes it was the new orange instead of Red. I would recommend this car for anyone, it has been a real blessing. I, like everyone else, would like to see a little more gas mileage but it is a box going down the road. Overall it is completely functional.

A true utility vehicle
By roger on 10/01/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Element is now 4 years old with 60k miles and haven't had one problem. I have shoved so much stuff inside of it 2x4's, bikes, cabinets, firewood etc. It's a great vehicle for my family of four, plenty of room and easy for the kids to get in and out of. I am an avid snowboarder/mt biker and the Element is perfect for my outings. It tracks really good in snow, no problem doing 55mph in five inches of fresh snow. I have talked two (and working on the third) friends to buy one and they all say the same thing "I can't believe I waited this long to buy one". So go buy one.

Love it, but it fails for reliability
By JZZDNCR on 07/07/09 04:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2005 well maintained and cared for Honda Element. It's my favorite all time car...that is until now. It's a manual transmission just over 50,000 mi and it's popping out of gears. I'm being told that I need a new transmission! Can this be? I bought this car new because after being a long time Volkswagon owner I decided I wanted a RELIABLE car. It's out of warranty, I'm out of work, and a new transmission will put me under. Reliability=Bad

The Element is just OK
By rubio1010 on 06/16/09 05:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my dogs. I bought it for all of my activities. It's just OK. Driving is fine, not fun, just fine. Take every turn slowly as stuff slides back and forth over the entire plastic interior easily. This is not a "Dog Car." The rocking back and forth and sliding makes them car sick. Cleaning is not nearly as easy as it sounds. "Hosing it out" is not an option. Comfort? On short drives, less than 100 miles, it's ok. Anything longer and the plastic seats get stiff and sticky. I've had two windshields replaced from highway pebbles. That's annoying. The two reverse doors are awkward for passengers in the rear, and getting in and out of the back seats is very awkward.

2005 Honda element best vehicle ever..
By HondaBaxter on 05/24/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle drives so smooth for an SUV, it handles so well around turns. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is so good on gas to have all the room it has.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Copywrites on 05/07/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

If you are expecting perceived Honda quality, you will be very disappointed in the Element. It will start at about 3000 miles when your rear brakes will start grinding, Then at about 20,000 they will literally explode. Make sure you are always near a repair shop. At 45,000 miles you will need a new manual transmission because yours will pop out of gear at low speeds and require two hands to shift it into 1st or 2nd gear. Have no idea what to expect at 50K because I'm dumping it at 48K. Goodbye to the worst built car I have ever owned. (I have owned more than 30 cars BTW)

Awesome vehicle
By Gary P on 04/29/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. I had always thought I wanted one, but it was not until I drove it that I had to have it! I think it is the most comfortable seats and I drive all over the country on long trips of more than 10 hours at a stretch. If you go from an American van to this, you will be in heaven! The only knock is the gas mileage, too many stops to refill. I do get in the twenties, generally 300 miles on a tank full, but I have run it to 360 miles. My ACN business keeps me on the road, and I practically live out of it.

Rocks!!!!!
By DownUnder on 04/26/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for 5 years and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. 125,000+ miles and the only think I ever have to do is oil changes, tire rotation, and 1 set of new tires and brakes. VERY, VERY reliable and goes great in snow.

Adore it
By pgray on 04/20/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I've driven Mercedes and Volvos, but nothing is as fun as this vehicle. The cargo capacity is great and it is good for hauling dogs, landscape materials, and antiques. Also, it gets good mileage. I adore it!

Best Vehicle We've Had
By hillbilly on 03/14/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We live at the end of a dead end road and our Element spends a LOT of time off road and on bad roads. Downsides are that the seats are a bit uncomfortable on long trips, the visibility is sometimes difficult with the side pillar, the gas mileage could be better. Also, the moon roof is way too difficult to replace after removing. Wish the rack spacing on the roof was longer. The wipe down seats and interior are wonderful for a canoe paddler that also hauls his dogs around. Have had it for going on 4 years and no problems except for drivers seat problems. Our Element has never been stuck except after a 6" ice storm. Routinely cross creeks et al on the farm and it rarely kicks into 4WD.