2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
Pros and Cons
By hondaelementex on 09/11/12 11:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, great for a tall person and carrying groceries and other stuff including smaller bicycles. MPG is about 20.

15 mpg! Be warned
By crackrock on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My v6 Suzuki grand vitara true 4x4 is getting 17.5 and my 4wd element is getting 14.5. Measured both with a kiwi-mpg obd2 tool, so it's accurate. The element really awful to me. Gotta get this off my chest. Low clearance - I already came within a 1/2" of basically ruining my car, the drive shaft guard got all bent up, luckily barely missing the actual drive shaft, this was driving to the grocery store in about 8 inches of snow/ice not true 4x4 - combined with the lack of clearance the 'real time 4wd' is a joke compared to true 4h/4l, the element has to stay up on the road, whereas the gv makes it the whole scary way down to the beach and tears through the sand, downhill in snow? Ha ha

Super Element!
By Airzilla on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Incredible car! I thought my best car ever was my much loved black 1988 Honda CRX Si that I bought brand new right after college. After getting through college in a 1985 CRX, I had to have another one as I thought the CRX was the perfect little sports car. Well, eventually I needed something to haul around my drum kit and gear to gigs. I acquired a 2005 Element EX AWD with about 21,000 miles on it. It now has 138,000 and has literally NEVER been in the shop. All I have ever done is changed the fluids and filters per the recommended schedule. In fact, I have only recently put on new front brakes. Overall, an incredible vehicle and I am currently looking to sell this one and purchase another.

Love My Ellie!
By EllieFan on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All I ever wanted was a Honda Element. Finally, after my '96 Chevy Beretta gave way, I bought a used one. I have two large dogs, and this was the only vehicle I would have. Couple of things. It's everything I thought it would be and more! The dogs have harnesses that attach to the seat belts, so no sliding around. I have two big dogs, so securing two crates to the back isn't an option. Secondly, for $3.50 from a big box store we all know and love, the big blind spots have been completely removed. Most neg. reviews were about blind spots, a very easy fix. And another was the pets sliding around. Well, get a harness. All problems fixed, and I couldn't be ANY happier with my Element.

Ugly... but Fun, Reliable, and Handy
By Student on 01/02/06 19:24 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Sure it's ugly, but I got used to the odd shape, and I'm even starting to think it's pretty cool looking. I am in a band and I originally wanted a car that I could easy stow my gear in. I looked at all the options, but I was intrigued by the Element. I wasn't impressed by the engine, but soon found that it was definitely enough power for day to day driving, as well as hauling some loads. The stain resistant and water resistant interior is a HUGE plus, and has saved me on more than one occasion. I have seen complaints over the clamshell doors, but who can really complain about getting in? Once you're in the rear seating is great with, dare i say, FUN theatre seating and plenty of room. A+ Car!

A Fabulous "F"-Rating All Around!
By SLPerry on 12/18/05 21:54 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This past summer I decided to buy myself what I referred to as "the last vehicle I'll ever buy." So I bought the '05 EX AWD 4dr (4cyl-4A) Element, moved everything into storage, loaded up the luggage, two cats, and just "took off" driving around the country for several months. In less than 4 months I have driven almost 19,000 miles at all speeds (yes, over 100mph up a steep grade, without incident or issue!), and in most all road (and some off-road), traffic, and weather conditions; it excels in handling, power (that's one gutsy 4- cyl, V-tech engine!), comfort and fuel- efficiency, let alone functionality and just plain fun! It also makes a great pet and people transport vehicle. I love it!

I Love my Element
By Rick H on 12/18/05 14:35 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Cons of the Element are few but may be a killer for some. There is not a abundence of power. The 4 cyl gives enough power to survive, but not to thrive in high speed take offs in very busy traffic. Pick up & go is best when swiching off overdrive and running thru the gears(Auto version). This is an old school trick almost nobody uses any more. The plactic (just like out side panels) under the seat belts wears from the belt connector rubbing against it. There is no way to make it look new again or bring the color back to normal.

Versatile and functional
By mthorn on 12/13/05 20:14 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Element is the most adaptible vehicle I have ever owned. It allows me to use it for any task. It also allows me to have access to the rear seat comparment with having to move. This was critical to me because I use a wheelchair. For this reason alone the EX was the vehicle for me. Since my prior vehicle was a MB I have certain standards for quality and finish and I found the element offered these at a reasonable price.

E is Excellent Everyday SUV
By RAMZOHIO on 12/10/05 00:03 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After 6000 miles in 5 months. I love it, but it is not sporty enough or fun to drive with the automatic transmission. The Element is an excellent work vehicle if you need cargo room and ease of use and loading/unloading for delivery. The Element is great if you have small children, or dogs, or get messy, because it is easy to clean...I recommend it, but not for everyone. I carried a 7-foot sofa without removing the rear seats, just folded them up. WOW! Hey, it is a HONDA!!!!

Excellent vehicle for mothers.
By honda element on 11/09/05 20:36 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Who knew someone thought about mothers and their babies. I love the water proof seats and floor and ready made bed for those long days at the park and the mall. Thank you Honda for thinking of us. Now I do not have to worry about my car smelling like Similac or trying to scrub those juice stains.