Used 2005 Honda Element EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Element

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Most Helpful|
Super Element!
By Airzilla

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Incredible car! I thought my best car ever was my much loved black 1988 Honda CRX Si that I bought brand new right after college. After getting through college in a 1985 CRX, I had to have another one as I thought the CRX was the perfect little sports car. Well, eventually I needed something to haul around my drum kit and gear to gigs. I acquired a 2005 Element EX AWD with about 21,000 miles on it. It now has 138,000 and has literally NEVER been in the shop. All I have ever done is changed the fluids and filters per the recommended schedule. In fact, I have only recently put on new front brakes. Overall, an incredible vehicle and I am currently looking to sell this one and purchase another.

Favorite Features

Cargo space - Awesome stereo with subwoofer - No carpet - Reliability, reliability, reliability...

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them...

Pros and Cons
By hondaelementex

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, great for a tall person and carrying groceries and other stuff including smaller bicycles. MPG is about 20.

Favorite Features

I like the way it looks from the front. Nice, reliable car. 6 1/2 years and 60,000 miles later it never broke down. I will own it hopefully for the next 50 years and at some point will conserve it as a collectible or an investment car. Unfortunately these were discontinued in 2011. I wonder why car manufacturers never produce a perfect car?

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof in the back is of little to no use. I would love to have a sun roof in the front, at least a small one. Gasoline red light comes on when there is about 30% of gasoline still left in the tank, which is way too early. I don't like that way it looks on the bottom sides where some kind of protective frame wraps around gasoline tank, it looks ugly and picks up even smallest tree branch and weeds from he ground. The rubber "carpet" of the interior floor covering is very easy to tear, made of a very weak rubber. There is no thermometer and MPG indicator. Paid $24K and expected a bit more for this money, but it's a OK car.

15 mpg! Be warned
By crackrock

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My v6 Suzuki grand vitara true 4x4 is getting 17.5 and my 4wd element is getting 14.5. Measured both with a kiwi-mpg obd2 tool, so it's accurate. The element really awful to me. Gotta get this off my chest. Low clearance - I already came within a 1/2" of basically ruining my car, the drive shaft guard got all bent up, luckily barely missing the actual drive shaft, this was driving to the grocery store in about 8 inches of snow/ice not true 4x4 - combined with the lack of clearance the 'real time 4wd' is a joke compared to true 4h/4l, the element has to stay up on the road, whereas the gv makes it the whole scary way down to the beach and tears through the sand, downhill in snow? Ha ha

Favorite Features

the roominess, the plastic interior is easy to clean, the subwoofer, my aftermarket armrest console

Suggested Improvements

hybrid or turbo diesel, current 15 mpg is unacceptable, needs better clearance, don't market it as "4wd" because its not, lumbar adjustments in cpt chair would be nice, needs a barrier from passenger floorboard to drivers, stuff has slid over and gotten stuck behind gas and brake pedals

Ugly... but Fun, Reliable, and Handy
By Student

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Sure it's ugly, but I got used to the odd shape, and I'm even starting to think it's pretty cool looking. I am in a band and I originally wanted a car that I could easy stow my gear in. I looked at all the options, but I was intrigued by the Element. I wasn't impressed by the engine, but soon found that it was definitely enough power for day to day driving, as well as hauling some loads. The stain resistant and water resistant interior is a HUGE plus, and has saved me on more than one occasion. I have seen complaints over the clamshell doors, but who can really complain about getting in? Once you're in the rear seating is great with, dare i say, FUN theatre seating and plenty of room. A+ Car!

Favorite Features

Fold up seats, water and stain resistant interior, surprisingly comfortable, tons of room for both passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine, more off-road capability.

Love My Ellie!
By EllieFan

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All I ever wanted was a Honda Element. Finally, after my '96 Chevy Beretta gave way, I bought a used one. I have two large dogs, and this was the only vehicle I would have. Couple of things. It's everything I thought it would be and more! The dogs have harnesses that attach to the seat belts, so no sliding around. I have two big dogs, so securing two crates to the back isn't an option. Secondly, for $3.50 from a big box store we all know and love, the big blind spots have been completely removed. Most neg. reviews were about blind spots, a very easy fix. And another was the pets sliding around. Well, get a harness. All problems fixed, and I couldn't be ANY happier with my Element.

Favorite Features

Power ports, cup holders, driving is so fun, flexible interior and LARGE space. The ease of cleaning it! DOG FRIENDLY, via water/stain resistant seats, broom friendly, and space, space, space! With harnesses the dogs can move around, but when I stop suddenly, so do they. Safely. NO CARPET!

Suggested Improvements

Little heavier? You get blown around a lot if the wind is strong. Cover for the moon roof, and/or move to the front for traditional sunroof. Better gas mileage, but it is like throwing a Saltine box into a fan! More horsepower for that giddy-up! But I do LOVE my Element!