Used 2005 Honda Element EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

I love my Element!
By Sami

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased an Element after seeing how the rear seats function. The best part for us was the fact they could be removed. I purchased this vehicle entirely for my dogs, because we're constantly on the road with them for dog-related activities. The person who reviewed the Element poorly, who also purchased it for their dogs, obviously didn't tie anything down. I put a big dog bed right behind the front seats, can stow up to 6 folding kennels against one side of the vehicle (there are tons of places to use bungee straps in this SUV!), an ice chest, folding chairs, luggage, etc. More than enough room for 2 adults and 3 big dogs. You just have to use your head when it comes to maximizing space!

Favorite Features

The tons of room that's available once the seats have been removed.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with other owners. The MP3 jack is awesome...but where the heck do you put it? I wind up draping it over the gear shift when I'm not driving and tucking it under my leg when I am. I'd love to see a slot for this and better windshield resistance. Chips and digs in the window are pretty common

The Element is just OK
By rubio1010

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my dogs. I bought it for all of my activities. It's just OK. Driving is fine, not fun, just fine. Take every turn slowly as stuff slides back and forth over the entire plastic interior easily. This is not a "Dog Car." The rocking back and forth and sliding makes them car sick. Cleaning is not nearly as easy as it sounds. "Hosing it out" is not an option. Comfort? On short drives, less than 100 miles, it's ok. Anything longer and the plastic seats get stiff and sticky. I've had two windshields replaced from highway pebbles. That's annoying. The two reverse doors are awkward for passengers in the rear, and getting in and out of the back seats is very awkward.

Favorite Features

Simplicity. That's why I bought it. No bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

Make it comfortable with new seats. Put some insulation or something in the doors so they don't sound so cheap and "Tinny." Some rubberized surfaces, like the cargo floor area, would be nice. The mats don't work, and just slide over the floor. Configure the rear doors differently so exit is not odd.

I'm a fan for life
By E. Hall

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Element is a dream for tall people! I've more head room than any other vehicle I've every been in. Safety wise I give it outstanding marks. I was rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe doing 90mph+, I was driving 50 mph, and walked away without a scratch or bump. Also a dream for someone with shedding dogs. The Element cleans very easily.

Favorite Features

Safety, head room, easy of cleaning.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be a bit more comfortable.

I love toast!!
By lstallberg

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is without a doubt the coolest vehicle I have ever owned!! I had not even seen the inside of one until the day I bought it. I bought the 2nd one I drove. It has a ton of room, great response for a 4 cyl engine, and a lot of cool features.

Favorite Features

Roomy, aux jack, XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Better center console.

My 5th and best Honda
By Sold on Honda

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Honda Element is functional and great to drive. With XM radio, I have lots of music choices, too. I've hauled furniture and boxes and taken people on sightseeing rides in the area. Great visibility for all, since the back seat is raised. Enough power and stability for me, too. And only 6 inches wider than my last Honda Civic. I especially like the molded pieces on the front and back fenders. Gas mileage is okay for a heavy vehicle. I traded in my 2000 Honda Civic Coupe and find the Element seating to be more comfortable. Good maneuverability.

Favorite Features

Red. Back seats easy to put up against the windows. It is easy to get things in and out of the back with both side doors open. Back door opens down so that heavy things can be slid out. Fun to drive. Driver sits high with good front and side visibility. Good value for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Sidesteps make it easier to get into vehicle. Would suggest a redesign of the center console for more storage for small articles.