Used 2005 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

I LOVE my Element!
By Leslie

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Element is a great car all the way around. I have the EX AWD version, and it handles great in the snow. It has never left me stranded, period. My car has over 200k miles, and you can't even tell at all. The engine runs like a million bucks and doesn't leak or burn any oil at all. It gets really good gas mileage for an AWD SUV (I average 20 city, 25 highway). I think it is a very sharp-looking SUV. I will say that it does seem to be prone to dings. This is a great SUV for you if you have animals that are going to be riding in your car, since it doesn't have any carpet. I love that feature! The seats are also water and stain resistant. I think the seats are comfortable despite this feature. I have taken my Element on road trips and it has been very comfortable. This is a great SUV and I definitely recommend it.

You can pull a boat with one of these.
By Carl Redding

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned since new, 10 years. Last year I put a trailer hitch on and started pulling my 17' fiberglass fishing skiff with it. Boat, motor and trailer weigh 1600 lbs and it tows and stops well. Easy to launch and retrieve boat.

Pros and Cons
By hondaelementex

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, great for a tall person and carrying groceries and other stuff including smaller bicycles. MPG is about 20.

I like the way it looks from the front. Nice, reliable car. 6 1/2 years and 60,000 miles later it never broke down. I will own it hopefully for the next 50 years and at some point will conserve it as a collectible or an investment car. Unfortunately these were discontinued in 2011. I wonder why car manufacturers never produce a perfect car?

Sunroof in the back is of little to no use. I would love to have a sun roof in the front, at least a small one. Gasoline red light comes on when there is about 30% of gasoline still left in the tank, which is way too early. I don't like that way it looks on the bottom sides where some kind of protective frame wraps around gasoline tank, it looks ugly and picks up even smallest tree branch and weeds from he ground. The rubber "carpet" of the interior floor covering is very easy to tear, made of a very weak rubber. There is no thermometer and MPG indicator. Paid $24K and expected a bit more for this money, but it's a OK car.

Good car for the value
By laura_e_som

2005 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My husband and I purchased this car new and it has been a blessed experience thus far. It handles well, cleans up well and is holding it's value well. With 96,000 miles on it, we are grateful to God, that it has had no real problems, it has needed one set of breaks and a set of tires, with another one due here pretty soon. My husband drives this car almost everyday back and forth to work and it has been very reliable. AWD does seem to help it to handle well enough in the snow, and it's car we plan on keeping until it finally says no more.

The interior is extremely easy to clean! Being able to hang the back seats on the sides, make it an easy car to squeeze oversize purchases in.

Armrests!

15 mpg! Be warned
By crackrock

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My v6 Suzuki grand vitara true 4x4 is getting 17.5 and my 4wd element is getting 14.5. Measured both with a kiwi-mpg obd2 tool, so it's accurate. The element really awful to me. Gotta get this off my chest. Low clearance - I already came within a 1/2" of basically ruining my car, the drive shaft guard got all bent up, luckily barely missing the actual drive shaft, this was driving to the grocery store in about 8 inches of snow/ice not true 4x4 - combined with the lack of clearance the 'real time 4wd' is a joke compared to true 4h/4l, the element has to stay up on the road, whereas the gv makes it the whole scary way down to the beach and tears through the sand, downhill in snow? Ha ha

the roominess, the plastic interior is easy to clean, the subwoofer, my aftermarket armrest console

hybrid or turbo diesel, current 15 mpg is unacceptable, needs better clearance, don't market it as "4wd" because its not, lumbar adjustments in cpt chair would be nice, needs a barrier from passenger floorboard to drivers, stuff has slid over and gotten stuck behind gas and brake pedals