2005 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
Pros and Cons
By hondaelementex on 09/11/12 11:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, great for a tall person and carrying groceries and other stuff including smaller bicycles. MPG is about 20.

Good car for the value
By laura_e_som on 08/02/12 10:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My husband and I purchased this car new and it has been a blessed experience thus far. It handles well, cleans up well and is holding it's value well. With 96,000 miles on it, we are grateful to God, that it has had no real problems, it has needed one set of breaks and a set of tires, with another one due here pretty soon. My husband drives this car almost everyday back and forth to work and it has been very reliable. AWD does seem to help it to handle well enough in the snow, and it's car we plan on keeping until it finally says no more.

15 mpg! Be warned
By crackrock on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My v6 Suzuki grand vitara true 4x4 is getting 17.5 and my 4wd element is getting 14.5. Measured both with a kiwi-mpg obd2 tool, so it's accurate. The element really awful to me. Gotta get this off my chest. Low clearance - I already came within a 1/2" of basically ruining my car, the drive shaft guard got all bent up, luckily barely missing the actual drive shaft, this was driving to the grocery store in about 8 inches of snow/ice not true 4x4 - combined with the lack of clearance the 'real time 4wd' is a joke compared to true 4h/4l, the element has to stay up on the road, whereas the gv makes it the whole scary way down to the beach and tears through the sand, downhill in snow? Ha ha

Super Element!
By Airzilla on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Incredible car! I thought my best car ever was my much loved black 1988 Honda CRX Si that I bought brand new right after college. After getting through college in a 1985 CRX, I had to have another one as I thought the CRX was the perfect little sports car. Well, eventually I needed something to haul around my drum kit and gear to gigs. I acquired a 2005 Element EX AWD with about 21,000 miles on it. It now has 138,000 and has literally NEVER been in the shop. All I have ever done is changed the fluids and filters per the recommended schedule. In fact, I have only recently put on new front brakes. Overall, an incredible vehicle and I am currently looking to sell this one and purchase another.

Love My Ellie!
By EllieFan on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All I ever wanted was a Honda Element. Finally, after my '96 Chevy Beretta gave way, I bought a used one. I have two large dogs, and this was the only vehicle I would have. Couple of things. It's everything I thought it would be and more! The dogs have harnesses that attach to the seat belts, so no sliding around. I have two big dogs, so securing two crates to the back isn't an option. Secondly, for $3.50 from a big box store we all know and love, the big blind spots have been completely removed. Most neg. reviews were about blind spots, a very easy fix. And another was the pets sliding around. Well, get a harness. All problems fixed, and I couldn't be ANY happier with my Element.

I call my 2005 red Element "Flame"
By Adrian in Dallas on 07/22/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The only color I wanted when I saw it in the Honda Element palette selection was what they call "Rallye Red." It's a beautiful, clear, bright red that's a knockout. The drab orange and the even more drab olive color that you see all over are not for me. (This review is sounding like a "Click & Clack" radio show where the first question they ask those with car problems is "What color is it?") IN ANY EVENT: This car is the best thing I've ever owned. I was born in Detroit and just turned 65, so that's saying something! It's solid as the brick it looks like, actually FUN to drive, has great head room and is E-Z to get in to and out of. I ordered it with every bell & whistle Honda offered.

Great Car--Good Cross Country Driver
By Rodster on 07/06/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Honda Element, while not considered the most stylish box by some, makes up for its styling faults in practicality, ease of operation, space, fuel economy, reliability, etc. The only problem I've had was with the ABS braking system. If the module fails, you run on standard brakes and to turn off the indicator light it will cost $1300 for a module. Nonsense. Run without it. Otherwise I'd buy another Element in a minute. It grows on you and others who get a chance to drive it on extended trips. The floor cleans up easily, the sound system works well, all controls can be read without problems and air conditioning and heating respond well in all weather.

Love my E
By Zach on 04/19/10 08:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Element from an old man with 17,000 on the odometer. Love the styling, the interior, everything about it. My only complaints are the performance ( no worries, e fans, you can find superchargers just for the element. How does 230 hp sound?) and the blind spots. If you're a careful driver, the blind spots won't be a problem.

I love my Element!
By Sami on 04/14/10 14:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased an Element after seeing how the rear seats function. The best part for us was the fact they could be removed. I purchased this vehicle entirely for my dogs, because we're constantly on the road with them for dog-related activities. The person who reviewed the Element poorly, who also purchased it for their dogs, obviously didn't tie anything down. I put a big dog bed right behind the front seats, can stow up to 6 folding kennels against one side of the vehicle (there are tons of places to use bungee straps in this SUV!), an ice chest, folding chairs, luggage, etc. More than enough room for 2 adults and 3 big dogs. You just have to use your head when it comes to maximizing space!

Want Another
By Mike on 03/31/10 22:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I will buy another element this year. The thing that I like most is the headroom and the ease of regress and egress. I have a fused neck so I cannot bend it and with the Element I don't have to bend my neck to get in or out. The car is a little noisy from the lack of carpet but you get used to it. Many nooks and crannies that coins get wedged in but not that much of a problem. All around a great car. Replaced a passenger window motor, a battery and was serviced regularly. Still have it 50k miles.