2004 Honda Element Consumer Review: Turned my opinion of it right

2004 Honda Element - Consumer Review

DX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Turned my opinion of it right around.
By stryker91 on

2004 Honda Element DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first saw this car, I was repulsed. A front-wheel-drive SUV? What were they thinking? But my wife has one, and I was wrong about it in every way. It's stylish, comfortable, versatile, and has more "giddyup" than one would think.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior with water-resistant seats and rubber/plastic floor is great for pet owners. My dogs haven't left a mess I couldn't clean up yet. The plastic panels on the exterior really make it stand out from other SUVs. I've seen the other models without the panels, and it's just not as attractive. Fold-up rear seats? GENIUS. Much more utility than SUVs without this feature. Actually slept in an Element once. A little stuffy, but plenty of room, even for someone standing 6'1" like myself.

Suggested Improvements

The front-wheel-drive models don't handle so well in rain, snow, ice, or mud. Lot of spinning off the line at stop signs & traffic lights. The All-Wheel-Drive model handles like a dream though. Clamshell doors make rear passenger access a real nuisance. Positioning of cigarette lighter on passenger side of vehicle presents possible inconvenience for anyone looking to charge a cell phone, GPS, or other device.