Used 2004 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

The best in a life full of great cars!
By Richard B.

2004 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've been a mechanic all my life. I have worked on everything from fords to Ferraris. I was the team leader of the crew that built Jay Leno's Ariel Atom. I have to tell you that I have never had as great a car as my Element! It is an '04 EX AWD in Fiji Blue, and we call it Gimli, after the steadfast, squat, ugly companion to the hobbits. Now with 56K, it is quiet, sweet to drive and has had absolutely no problems requiring repair. We get 27+ on the highway, and 24 in town, which ain't bad for a phone booth on wheels. we sleep in it when camping or skiing, and it hauls more than any vehicle I've ever owned. The Real-Time AWD is amazing. Can't say enough about this vehicle!

Favorite Features

Seat height is great, even for people in the back. Stereo is as good as some custom units. Dog loves the room in back, and we love the rest.

Suggested Improvements

None

Love My Element Except for AC Issue
By Melissa

2004 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little SUV...the AWD is grippy when you need it, the performance is okay for what I need (it can get out of its own way at least), the roominess inside can only be described as CAVERNOUS. It is super fun to drive because you can turn it on a dime and put it anywhere...it's very responsive for a box on wheels, surprisingly so. It has been reliable and dependable on everyday jaunts and on long trips. The seats, while not cushy, are VERY comfortable, like sitting in a chair rather than in a car. 1000 miles doesn't even fatigue you! One bad thing...AC compressor went at 36K miles and it will cost $1200 to fix (lowest estimate). CR-Vs and E's of these years have been known for this.

Favorite Features

Almost everything...if I had to choose it would be the handling and the cavernous interior space. But the comfort and unique styling bring up a close 2nd.

Suggested Improvements

V-6 option Honda...come on! This thing would be a blast with more power. Dear Honda, PLEASE fix the AC compressor issues that so many people are having with these vehicles...an AC compressor should last much longer and it shouldn't pollute the entire AC system when it does stop working.

Got a good deal on an excellent car
By Rick R.

2004 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car is for my wife who loved it immediately. It is roomy, easy to clean and appears to provide just what we need since we move larger objects. The driver is an artist and is always hauling stuff. The dealership was extremely nice in helping us to find a car.

Favorite Features

It is a little too soon to tell what we most like about the car since we only have it a little more than a week.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

Love my Element
By jasonswifey

2004 Honda Element SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a lot of cars and I always get sick of them quick! But I am in love with my Element and when it comes time for me to get a new car it will be a newer version! The back seat is awesome! Very spacious for long road trips and comfortable enough for 3 people without feeling crowded! I love how the back seat can either be folded up or taken out with little to no effort! And the vinyl instead makes muddy shoes and drink spills no big deal! I keep windex and paper towels in the back and when I end up with a mess it's gone quick! The front seat is also very comfortable and has lots of neat features!

Favorite Features

The little cubby above the stereo - I have about 50 cds in there and still have room for more! I also love the beat seats. When I moved I got all of mine and my husbands stuff to the new house in 2 trips (plates, clothes, lamps, tv etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Gas mileage could be a bit better but for an SUV its great! Also the sun roof is in the back-it would be nice to have it in the front

Great overall
By Paul A.

2004 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun factor vehicle. I am getting about 25-26 miles per gallon with manual transmission. This is a great car that would serve the all the purposes: vacation, basic transportation, big item moving or purchasing. Mine is a DX, so the only thing I miss is the cruise control, everything else is very well thought and placed. I love my Element,and I plan to have it for a good while. Buyer beware: if you drive it, you'll like it... and buy it.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, the overall great versatility, looks small from outside, huge inside, not one of the most stolen vehicles, no timing belt to replace, higher seating position, easy in and out access, plenty of headroom (I m 6.1).

Suggested Improvements

A 6th speed and an available armrest, for the ones that want one (the one available is poorly thought - we need a real one that would serve the purpose).