Used 2004 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

LOVED MY ELEMENT
By humphrey27

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2004 Honda Element for 6 years and recently traded it in ONLY to get a car that got better gas mileage since we moved to the country and needed a gas miser. It had 78,000 mile on it when I traded it, and I have to say that I just loved that vehicle and I am so sorry I ever traded it. I never had a car with that many miles on it so I was worried that it would start requiring expensive repairs so I traded it and now I am so sorry. I LOVED THAT HONDA and it was perfect in the snow and drove well. It was so dependable and I only replaced brakes and battery and tires in the car the whole time I had it. I cannot say enough good about this vehicle. Should have kept it!! A+ rating

Favorite Features

Space and Room to Carry things and versatility in the vehicle. Dependability. Great in Snow

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint I had was the back doors were a nuisance to open in a parking lot and limited space. Would not be a good car with children since very hard to access back seat. ONLY problem with vehicle I could see.

best little car ever
By cj62

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

i have had my element for 8 years i have 173,000 miles on it and have had NO major repairs!!! Only normal wear and tear repairs,tires ,battery, starter and misc. It has been the best little car so handy and practical , i haul alot even my grass clippings and leaves, its a work horse !! I will hope to get 300,000 miles out of it ,im gonna try.

I simply love the reliability and low maintenance
By djevanstn

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love to drive it It's extremely easy to maintain It has very low cost to maintain Brakes are great It's tow-able (behind an RV) and I've towed it quite a bit with not even the slightest issue I don't think I mentioned reliable - it is! EXTREME head clearance easy to add towing package with lights (simply plug in for trailer lights)

Favorite Features

towable (and tows suprisingly well) fun to drive A/C begins putting out cool air almost instantly and very cold air within minutes (I love that) Heat is very good as well I can't get over the low cost of maintenance auto AWD stereo (with SUB Woofer) in the EX models isn't too shabby and has IPOD/IPHONE/EXT music input "integrated" in to the stereo

Suggested Improvements

I feel it should get better mileage (18 to 20 mpg) It definitely needs a bigger fuel tank (abt 250 miles to empty) It's a bit "too fast" in it's steering - definitely precise, but "twitchy" (you do get used to it ) The rear doors are not convenient for the way we us it and it's really inconvenient for grocery shopping esp. between other cars The plastic panels should never have been used in my humble opinion

My Element saved my life.
By kariscolley

2004 Honda Element DX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm writing this review in respect for Ellie, my Element. The accident wasn't my fault, I was hit by a man that ran a stop sign at a 2 way. I didn't have a sign, so we were both going around 40. My driver's side hit his passenger side. Both air bags were deployed. The whole front left side of Ellie was crushed. The part underneath the wheel that connects it to the dash was cracked in half. I had my little sister in the front seat, 14, im 16. Didnt feel a thing. Neither of us were injured. My Ellie stayed right where we had hit, though it was raining really hard and i turned ridiculoulsy fast when we hit. He was knocked into a neighbor's house. Thank you Ellie, love you and miss you <3

Favorite Features

I bought her with 162000 miles. She has been like new this whole time (though it was a short amount of time) i'm positive I could have had her for at least a few more years, at LEAST. People say they don't like the outside, you either love it or you hate it, sure. It's different. But anyone that got in my car was amazed at the inside. It's the roomiest car I've ever seen, it looks so small on the outside.

Suggested Improvements

an extra seat maybe.? :)

Totaled my Element. I barely felt a thing.
By mudgell

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was cruzin around Denver, not paying enough attention and WHAMO! I nailed a solid concrete barrier and totaled the car but I came out without a scratch. The only thing that hurts is that I don't have my Element anymore. I never had one maintenance problem with it while I had it and when I wrecked it, it very well could have saved my life or saved me from getting injured. If you have the money, get one.