2004 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
Poor customer service/backseat danger
By Gwendolyn on 07/20/10 06:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Wrote Honda that backseats do not lock, will not take child car seats, very dangerous, was like this when we bought it but did not know as we did not use the back seats until our granddaughter was born 2rs ago when we tried to install her car seat, discovered locks do not lock, never did since purchase. Local dealer said cost would be over $700. Wrote national Honda. Got uncaring follow-up phone call, they hung up when I explained this was NOT about a part under warranty needing repair, but a life threatening problem existing since purchase. We cannot take passengers/children in backseats ever--a huge flaw. But worse was lack of concern by Honda. Probably my last Honda. Safety matters most.

I love this car!
By Lacey on 05/27/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Element LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I went to Honda to buy an accord. Some how the sales dude got me to test drive the Element and from then on I was hooked. So many cars make you feel cramped, not with this car. More than enough head room (my husband is 6'4"), great stereo. Love the iPod hookup. Fun to drive. A little more hp would be nice but it's not slow. The amount of stuff that you can fit in this thing is absolutely amazing. 900 sq ft of wood floors. Baseboards. 2 bikes. Patio table (not taken apart) the list goes on and on. It's like having a truck with the stuff I have crammed in there. Very cold a/c. I've had it now for 2 years and besides oil changes, new tire and brakes, it has been a dream car.

Quirky
By nc3e on 02/11/10 14:16 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I still can't say that I like the way the Element looks. It's ugly, and it hasn't really grown on me yet. However, it has more interior space than I expected. Rear seat passengers have tons of space and 2 cup holders, as well as 2 more for the front seat passengers. Great sound system. AWD is great in the snow! Acceleration isn't astounding, but it isn't slow. No carpeting means cleaning up spills is the best. Front pillars make big blind spots, and the "suicide doors" are a pain in a parking lot. The brakes took some getting used to for me, the pedal is a little soft and positioned strangely. Smooth and gentle steering and ride. AC began squeaking recently and cranks VERY slow in the cold.

Beautifully Used
By coachbarnes11 on 01/03/10 18:33 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 7th Honda I have owned. I was curious about the Element when they first came out and was glad to finally purchase a used one with a manual "yeah!" and 100k on it. Of course it has been flawless since I have owned it. So many possible ways to use this vehicle. As a competitive triathlete I am looking forward to this summer and using it for fun weekends. I am going to keep up on the maintenance and do a big service here in the spring (plugs, fluids, etc.). As long as I take care of it, the E should go another 100k for me easy. The skylight is way cool! Stereo is more than adequate and iPod friendly. I might even go camping with my son and sleep on the seats that make beds!

The best in a life full of great cars!
By Richard B. on 08/04/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've been a mechanic all my life. I have worked on everything from fords to Ferraris. I was the team leader of the crew that built Jay Leno's Ariel Atom. I have to tell you that I have never had as great a car as my Element! It is an '04 EX AWD in Fiji Blue, and we call it Gimli, after the steadfast, squat, ugly companion to the hobbits. Now with 56K, it is quiet, sweet to drive and has had absolutely no problems requiring repair. We get 27+ on the highway, and 24 in town, which ain't bad for a phone booth on wheels. we sleep in it when camping or skiing, and it hauls more than any vehicle I've ever owned. The Real-Time AWD is amazing. Can't say enough about this vehicle!

Love My Element Except for AC Issue
By Melissa on 06/16/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little SUV...the AWD is grippy when you need it, the performance is okay for what I need (it can get out of its own way at least), the roominess inside can only be described as CAVERNOUS. It is super fun to drive because you can turn it on a dime and put it anywhere...it's very responsive for a box on wheels, surprisingly so. It has been reliable and dependable on everyday jaunts and on long trips. The seats, while not cushy, are VERY comfortable, like sitting in a chair rather than in a car. 1000 miles doesn't even fatigue you! One bad thing...AC compressor went at 36K miles and it will cost $1200 to fix (lowest estimate). CR-Vs and E's of these years have been known for this.

Got a good deal on an excellent car
By Rick R. on 03/05/09 05:58 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car is for my wife who loved it immediately. It is roomy, easy to clean and appears to provide just what we need since we move larger objects. The driver is an artist and is always hauling stuff. The dealership was extremely nice in helping us to find a car.

Love my Element
By jasonswifey on 01/19/09 17:01 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a lot of cars and I always get sick of them quick! But I am in love with my Element and when it comes time for me to get a new car it will be a newer version! The back seat is awesome! Very spacious for long road trips and comfortable enough for 3 people without feeling crowded! I love how the back seat can either be folded up or taken out with little to no effort! And the vinyl instead makes muddy shoes and drink spills no big deal! I keep windex and paper towels in the back and when I end up with a mess it's gone quick! The front seat is also very comfortable and has lots of neat features!

Great overall
By Paul A. on 12/06/08 10:32 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Element DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun factor vehicle. I am getting about 25-26 miles per gallon with manual transmission. This is a great car that would serve the all the purposes: vacation, basic transportation, big item moving or purchasing. Mine is a DX, so the only thing I miss is the cruise control, everything else is very well thought and placed. I love my Element,and I plan to have it for a good while. Buyer beware: if you drive it, you'll like it... and buy it.

Ugly but love it
By cje on 09/30/08 10:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Element LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am happy with my Element. Took some time getting use to fine styling :-( (much like an English taxi) But it is so useful, comfortable, cleans up really well, great for hauling stuff and mine is basic beige which really hides the dirt well. I plan to drive it for at least a full 200,000 miles and forgo car payments for sometime.