2004 Honda Element EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2004 Element Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Sort Reviews by

Totaled my Element. I barely felt a thing.
By mudgell

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was cruzin around Denver, not paying enough attention and WHAMO! I nailed a solid concrete barrier and totaled the car but I came out without a scratch. The only thing that hurts is that I don't have my Element anymore. I never had one maintenance problem with it while I had it and when I wrecked it, it very well could have saved my life or saved me from getting injured. If you have the money, get one.

Got a good deal on an excellent car
By Rick R.

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car is for my wife who loved it immediately. It is roomy, easy to clean and appears to provide just what we need since we move larger objects. The driver is an artist and is always hauling stuff. The dealership was extremely nice in helping us to find a car.

Favorite Features

It is a little too soon to tell what we most like about the car since we only have it a little more than a week.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

Love This Thing!
By kminimax

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We just purchased this vehicle as our primary vehicle. We love it. My husband is 6'3" and has more than adequate room for him and our growing son without kicking the backs of the seats anymore. Now neither of them are eating their knees anymore like in our old sedan. I certainly would like to buy another one!

Favorite Features

Easy to clean, fun to drive, great amounts of room!

Suggested Improvements

The suicide doors could be a little easier to access but they are still fun

Love my E - Great Dog Car
By DogAddict

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Element and am actually about to trade it in on a 2008! I have removed the back two seats and have turned into a "dog car" with crates for my 4 dogs, my Quik Shade tent, chairs and everything else I need for our weekend outings at agility trials or disc dog competitions. Its versatility is phenomenal and a friend and I kid that "Everything can fit in the E!". It drives great, has been 100% reliable. Gas mileage has been good for an SUV. I looked around a little before deciding on another E but couldn't find anything that suits my needs like the E does.

Favorite Features

Space, versatility and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Center console for the LX and EX models.

Like driving a go-cart
By cleanqueen

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so fun to drive! I got a manual transmission which makes it even more fun to drive! I find that with the stick, it has more pep than an automatic transmission. Since the car has no carpet, it's great for hauling my dog who sheds around in it. It has a tremendous amount of knee room in the back even for tall people. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who wants an affordable SUV style car that has a lot of room in it without paying big bucks!

Favorite Features

Stick shift on the dash, leg room in back.

Suggested Improvements

Roll down windows in the back.

Beauty Within
By George

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I thought it was the ugliest car on the planet until I opened the door and looked in. It's enormous inside! I fell in love with the interior. The exterior grows on you over time. I now joke that "When it grows up, it wants to be a Hummer." Either way, it's well built. Not a problem in almost 2 years, and it gets decent gas mileage to boot.

Favorite Features

Removable rear seats and rubber floor covering. It basically turns it into a pickup truck.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would make a hybrid version. That would allow the owners to drive in the carpool lane here in CA with only one passenger.

Great car so far
By mjones

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For a 4 banger it moves! This is a very practical SUV with ok gas mileage. My son and I camp in it every summer and have plenty of room and plenty of fun. After driving Subaru's for over 20 years switching to the element was the perfect choice. I feel this is a very well engineered and reliable vehicle that I fell is going to be the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Nothing like being toasty warm in my sleeping bag and watching the northern lights dance though the rear skylight. I love camping in this car!

Suggested Improvements

Design the windsheild better, Cracks seem to be a problem. Make the spare wheel cover more sturdy and table legs standard. There is very little mid-range in the sterio sound, to much bass.

Atlanta Driving
By Benji'z

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most utilitiarian vehicle I have owned. Much more interior space than my other Jeep Cherokee. I have moved everything from big TV's to a pullout sleeper sofa in it. It has adequate power and mileage. I do mostly highway driving. Avg HWY MPG 25. Love the vehicle, could use minor improvements then PERFECT..

Favorite Features

Short wheelbase, easy turning, sound system, caverness interior, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Larger Gas Tank!! 13.5 gall too small for this size vehicle. I Fill up 2x per week. Swing doors make hard exit with cars on either side. Back window 1970'ish. Need 3rd seat in back. Back seats VERY heavy in removal. Wife can't do.

Not the perfect Mommies Car
By Abril

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I thought the E would be perfect for a newborn baby, it is in the sense that if you spill something it wipes right up. The ease of cleaning is my favorite feature. But I hate the suicide doors. If someone parks close to you, it's a dance to get the carrier in the car and not hit the other car with your doors or trap yourself inside. Not that you should be messing with the baby while your driving but I can't even reach his car seat to pat him on the head when he's upset.

Favorite Features

Easy clean up. I love the leg room, nothing else compares to the roomy feeling you get from the E. Road trips were very comfy and the extra leg room stored lots of stuff. The turning radius is AWSOME I have fun turning U 's

Suggested Improvements

I have got 8 rock chips (1 split the entire width of windshild) in the 1 year ive owned it. Design flaw? or Bug guard? Extreme loss of power when towing.

ride
By Chris

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

the only negatives I have found with this car is the choppy ride and it could be a little quieter.

Favorite Features

Great handling, air, stereo, interior/exterior.

Suggested Improvements

smoother ride/better suspension