Used 2003 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Most Helpful|
GinLaguna
By G. Miles

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love my Honda Element and would buy another one but am waiting for them to do another design so it doesn't look just like the one I am driving now which is a 2003. I like the green of the 2003 but not the 2007 green.

Favorite Features

Carry my dog all around town so like to have the one back seat up so he can walk around

Suggested Improvements

Get better sun shades for the front and sides to block out sun.Better lighting for the control panel so you can see the gas left and the mileage better.

My experiences over five years
By JoeB

2003 Honda Element DX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 AWD Element, bought new in '03. In my rural real estate practice, I go absolutely everywhere, and in all kind of conditions. (The Pittsburgh end of Pennsylvania is very hilly!). I have taken it through farmer fields in knee-to-waist-high grass and weeds in showing land. I also have five years experience in all kinds of winter weather, often driving on ice and up to ten inches or so of snow. (The experiences I could tell you!). I usually use an aggressive tread all- weather tire in the winter, or sometimes a mud & snow. I don't particularly overload my Element with heavy "stuff" in the rear, although I do keep lots of real estate stuff back there (for fixing "for sale" signs).

Favorite Features

Boxy design and lots of easily cleaned interior room. Handy access to passenger and back area space. Decent gas mileage.

Hard worker
By Raye

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2003 has 200100 miles on it. Still has the same rotors on the front, shock and struts, muffler system, and surprisingly the same spark plugs that have been checked frequently if they need replacement. Yeah, i have the frozen door lock syndrome and the drivers seat is ripped and uncomfortable, and noisy ride, but this little baby has been good to me. I will be replacing struts and brake pads etc. soon to be on the safe side. Best reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

sharp turning radius and the amount of storage room for a small truck is great. Reliability is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

hopefully the seat are better, and the noise level is improved in later models..

Never loved a car before in my life!
By sarahkate

2003 Honda Element DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cars were always simply a way to get places for me, until I bought my Element! I have 154000 miles on it. I have done basic maintenance; brakes, struts and only just did my exhaust. I do have the original clutch, tho! It does not look 9 years old, either. I only have 1 complaint and that is that Honda has stopped making it!!! I was looking forward to a second Element when I need to replace this one. I am hoping that by that time Honda will have reissued it. I love my Element so much that I convinced both my sisters to get one!

Favorite Features

Space, space, space! So much space by either folding up the rear seats or taking them out completely. For a 4 cylinder car it has quite a bit of zip, too. There is no lag getting on highways, etc. It also handles like a dream. Even after 9 years I get the same mileage as when I first bought it. I have the FWD model but with snow tires we call it my bulldozer. New England winters have given it a real workout! It is so easy to keep clean, specifically the floors.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can not think of one improvement needed. Of course, except that Honda has to start making them again!!!!

Love this car
By goldschmid

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

There is no better car if you, like I, need to haul furniture or just more than you intended to buy at Costco. I have had the car for four years and almost 60,000 miles, and there have been no major repairs needed. As a result, this Element has cost far less to own and maintain than I ever expected. Although some people dislike the way the back doors open, it is a real advantage when you are trying to reach items or move bulky furniture in or out. On occasion, I have removed the back seats and used the element as a small van when moving our adult children to college or a new apartment. There is almost as much room as a small UHaul. In short, I am very satisfied with this car.

Favorite Features

Boxy shape that maximizes hauling capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension. Sometimes the ride in the back seat can be a bumpy. The front-seat ride is fine.