Used 2003 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

About the Windshield
By Eilleen

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Element. Best car I have ever owned. Bought it because it was so roomy and dog friendly. Dog hair just blow out the interior. Muddy feet just get a hose.

All the room. The versatility of the interior.

Have had issues with the windshield. Once I found out the windshields for 2003 and 2004 are under recall. There is a tech service bulletin on what to do to fix the issue. It was fixed. There was also a class action lawsuit to cover the windshields.

Nice Little Green Machine
By DG

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Versatility and reliable powertrain are biggest attributes of this EX model AWD vehicle. Removing the rear seats turns it into a cargo van. No carpeting a plus, cleans up easily with vacuum and a wet sponge. Won't win races, but it wasn't designed for that purpose. A few defects, but were covered under warranty. 21 mpg mixed highway and city miles not great, but no surprise due to curb weight, AWD, and lack of aerodynamics. Tight turning radius is impressive. Stress on front "A" pillars may have resulted in windshield cracking. Hard to believe this vehicle is shorter bumper- to-bumper than the Civic in the same model year.

Hauls everything from bags of mulch to furniture. Handles well on highway, city, and in mild off road conditions. Stereo is great. Green color is hard to miss in a parking lot. Price point decent for the EX model.

Reinforce front pillars and improve dashboard padding/insulation to prevent windshield cracking. Cupholder positions should be reconsidered.

Best Baseball car ever!
By bballmom

2003 Honda Element DX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a vehicle without carpeting and the Honda Element was the only one I could find besides a truck and I did not want a full size truck. The Honda Element has been a wonderful vehicle to drive for the last 4 years. My son is an avid baseball player and, with dirt and mud and cleats and baseball bags, having this vehicle has been a real blessing. He can have his buds ride with us anywhere and we do not have to worry about dirty carpet or spills that may happen. Just wipe it down with cleaner and it is good as new. I love it! It drives so easy and is very comfortable on long trips. My son also loves the fact the seats recline so he can rest before games.

No carpet, easy clean up, cool look and very comfortable ride. Seats can be taken out for an open back to transport big items.

Other than better gas mileage this vehicle has been perfect for me. I plan to drive it for 3 more years and then give it to my son to drive.

Excellent alternative to an all-out-SUV
By Lawrance

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my E for about 2.5 years now and haven't had any problems worth taking to the dealer for. The drivers seat needs new bushings to keep it from shifting, and every 10 minutes or so, the headlights go dim for a second before returning to normal. Both of these items are inherent to the 2003 model. The cabin does have some wind noise, and the suspension is rather jarring. Otherwise, this vehicle has been 100% reliable. It has a very tight turning circle, and is very fun to drive. The lack of carpeting makes for easy cleaning and the seat configurations make it one of the most versatile vehicles on the road. I usually get 21 MPG on average. Wish Honda made an upscale version.

Fun to drive. Versatile interior is great for dirty projects. Clamshell tailgate is ideal for loading. Decent MPG next to traditional SUV's.

Need an upscale version with: Vanity mirrors, indoor/outdoor temperature gauge. Power/Leather/ Heated seats. Carpeting. V6. Compass. Mileage computer. Higher load than 750 pounds. Loose the suicide doors. Move the sunroof to the front. Less plastic. Less grey color.

Love this car
By goldschmid

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

There is no better car if you, like I, need to haul furniture or just more than you intended to buy at Costco. I have had the car for four years and almost 60,000 miles, and there have been no major repairs needed. As a result, this Element has cost far less to own and maintain than I ever expected. Although some people dislike the way the back doors open, it is a real advantage when you are trying to reach items or move bulky furniture in or out. On occasion, I have removed the back seats and used the element as a small van when moving our adult children to college or a new apartment. There is almost as much room as a small UHaul. In short, I am very satisfied with this car.

Boxy shape that maximizes hauling capacity.

Better suspension. Sometimes the ride in the back seat can be a bumpy. The front-seat ride is fine.