Used 2003 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Element

View reviews for a specific Element model:

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 2W (2.4L
By Cris

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was the 1st person to have this kind of car in Texas, people looked me at as if I was from outer space or some kinda stupid to have a bread toaster looking car. But I don't mind that negative image because I was more concerned about the space and style versatility of the car. After driving this for 5 years now, I realized that I hate this car at all. I drove Nissan, Toyota, Porsche, Dodge, Chevy, Mazda and I realized the difference. There are far more better cars out there than Honda. I give credit to the reliability of this company but because of this prestige they had, they were too overconfident about their market and they made less effort of better design and worth your money to buy their car.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, passenger leg room, easy to clean, clam shell door, no carpet, roominess/loadability, seat versatility, wide open door, removable seats, cabinet type door opening.

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage, too boxy, very woobly driving on highway, passenger back door should independently open w/o opening 2 front doors first, cheap looking dashboard, rear seat should accomodate 3 passenger (eliminate the plastic cup holder), center of gravity too high, bad blind spot, metals easily rust

Element Toaster
By Charles Gilbert

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling and economy for an SUV. Parking is never a problem and the Element turns on a dime. Performance is adequate and it runs as smooth as a sewing machine. We can haul our two dogs with ease and the cargo area is very versatile.

Favorite Features

Boxy, military look.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have more driver's seat adjustment and a front sun roof.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Christopher

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 144,000 on my 2003 Honda. This is the only car I can honestly say I like driving more each time I get behind the wheel. I have just now had any "major" repairs done, and that was to replace the front end bushings, a normal maintenance item given the mileage. My family and I have taken trips in this car and I think my 2 teens are more comfortable in this car than my wife's Suburban.

Favorite Features

This car is easy and fun to drive. It is rock solid stable on two lane roads and on the interstate. The roominess is much more than one would expect, given the exterior dimensions.

Suggested Improvements

My #1 complaint . . . it is strictly a four passenger vehicle. If the rear seats could be configured in such a way to make this a five passenger vehicle that would be great. #2 - Make this vehicle in a diesel version. I'll buy the first one.

Not what it should be
By Ken

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car and thought it was the best for about a year, but since then i have had 3 windshields replaced, and 2 more chipped, because the windshield is to stright. My drives seat has had to be replaced, Honda said I wore it out, not so it is made out of bad material and they won't fess up to that. Now I have had to tune up the computer so the engine light would go out. The millage lights in the dash had to be replaced. Bottom line to many things are going wrong to give this car a good review, i wish i had some of the cars these other people are talking about.

Favorite Features

I love to drive it, for its style, and the way it handles, this part is nice and the way it opens and closes the doors are great.

Suggested Improvements

I can only talk about the 2003, and they may have improved on it already but the glass in the windshield needs to be of a tougher quality, as not to brake. The seat material needs to be improved on. Just to put some better quality material into the car.

2003 Turbo Toaster
By KGRoberts

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Toyo 4Runner for this Element. There's a lot of room on the inside, especially in the back seat. Seats sit up high. Room for 4 people only. Zippy with the 5Manual trans. Plastic panels are utilitarian, easy care, no door dings. This engineer takes notes on every tank of fuel, 26MPG average. Honda replaced my A/C system 6k miles out of warranty (no charge to me). Happy Honda owner.

Favorite Features

Maneuverability and fuel economy are great for a utilitarian vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Design the rear doors as "barn door sliders", rather than "suicide" doors. Disembarking the vehicle with rear seat passengers requires and advanced math degree.