Used 2003 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Element

View reviews for a specific Element model:

In My Element
By over55

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I require a car to be more than a mode of transportation; it must be functional. As an over 55 male that purchased a new 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan and drove it 250000 miles until the mechanical problems overwhelmed it I appreciate versatility in carrying both people and objects. The Element has this flexibility: I can transport my non-driving relatives; I can carry furniture; I can carry paving stones; I can carry recyclables; I can carry building materials. The style of the car has intrigued many people: I have met numerous people while refueling; they ask if it's one of those "hybrids" and then ask to look closer. Comments have been very positive.

Favorite Features

I like being above the road while knowing that the overall size of the car is actually small.The trailer hitch option has already been useful for an utility trailer to haul dirt, bark and other home materials. The MP3 capability allows me to listen to "books on tape".

Suggested Improvements

The stereo system could be improved in the mid to high ranges because the normal road noise interferes. The carbiners that hold the rear seats when folded are awkward to hook. The roof rack rails could use some sort of attachment points for rope/bungee cords or other tie downs.

Great Ride
By sbodi4d

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love this car. Will buy another one when my truck needs replacing. Maybe Honda will add more horsepower later in the production. Power is actually good, but it would be even more fun with more horses.

Favorite Features

Styling, Seat Configurations.

Suggested Improvements

Drives fine, but could always use more power.

Rough Ride for passengers
By Richard Russell

2003 Honda Element DX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nothing but complaints from rear passengers. On windy days hard to handle steering. Only one arm rest for driver. Have to unbuckle to let out passengers in rear.

Favorite Features

People love to look and point as you drive. Great sound system

Suggested Improvements

Passenger arm rest better suspension raise counsole

I hate this thing!
By pwhit

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've always liked Hondas, they have a great reputation for quality, but I've never owned one. I thought this would be a great alternative to a minivan, and for about two days it was. The thing is about 70 percent plastic, and the looks of the interior is driving me crazy after about a month. I thought the exterior look was cutting edge at first, but I see people actually pointing and laughing at it while driving. It really IS stupid looking now that I have to see it in my driveway every day. I'm hoping someone will steal it soon.

Favorite Features

the doors, it's easy to load and unload.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the body and the interior,make it look like something that didn't come off a toy store shelf.

First gas grizzlers from Honda?
By RobertCollins

2003 Honda Element DX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Hey I have just bought the car, I love the space inside, it is like another little living room just for myself and my dog. But, wait, why does it consume so much gas???? I thought that Honda cars are better than others in terms of gas-mileage. Does anyone else has the same problem? I averaged only about 18 mpg in 90% city and 10% freeway of driving. My civic gives me 28 mpg in same driving manner.

Favorite Features

VERY GOOD INTERIOR ROOM. considered competitor of Toyota Matrix, but that Matrix is very tiny compared to this Element.

Suggested Improvements

May be a hybrid engine to improve the gas-mileage. Lower the sticker price a bit for a model without alloy wheels. Not everyone needs the alloy wheels to feel good.