Used 2003 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Most Helpful|
My experiences over five years
By JoeB

2003 Honda Element SUV DX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 AWD Element, bought new in '03. In my rural real estate practice, I go absolutely everywhere, and in all kind of conditions. (The Pittsburgh end of Pennsylvania is very hilly!). I have taken it through farmer fields in knee-to-waist-high grass and weeds in showing land. I also have five years experience in all kinds of winter weather, often driving on ice and up to ten inches or so of snow. (The experiences I could tell you!). I usually use an aggressive tread all- weather tire in the winter, or sometimes a mud & snow. I don't particularly overload my Element with heavy "stuff" in the rear, although I do keep lots of real estate stuff back there (for fixing "for sale" signs).

Favorite Features

Boxy design and lots of easily cleaned interior room. Handy access to passenger and back area space. Decent gas mileage.

Hard worker
By Raye

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2003 has 200100 miles on it. Still has the same rotors on the front, shock and struts, muffler system, and surprisingly the same spark plugs that have been checked frequently if they need replacement. Yeah, i have the frozen door lock syndrome and the drivers seat is ripped and uncomfortable, and noisy ride, but this little baby has been good to me. I will be replacing struts and brake pads etc. soon to be on the safe side. Best reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

sharp turning radius and the amount of storage room for a small truck is great. Reliability is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

hopefully the seat are better, and the noise level is improved in later models..

Never loved a car before in my life!
By sarahkate

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cars were always simply a way to get places for me, until I bought my Element! I have 154000 miles on it. I have done basic maintenance; brakes, struts and only just did my exhaust. I do have the original clutch, tho! It does not look 9 years old, either. I only have 1 complaint and that is that Honda has stopped making it!!! I was looking forward to a second Element when I need to replace this one. I am hoping that by that time Honda will have reissued it. I love my Element so much that I convinced both my sisters to get one!

Favorite Features

Space, space, space! So much space by either folding up the rear seats or taking them out completely. For a 4 cylinder car it has quite a bit of zip, too. There is no lag getting on highways, etc. It also handles like a dream. Even after 9 years I get the same mileage as when I first bought it. I have the FWD model but with snow tires we call it my bulldozer. New England winters have given it a real workout! It is so easy to keep clean, specifically the floors.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can not think of one improvement needed. Of course, except that Honda has to start making them again!!!!

Loved it except for windshield issue
By Jan

2003 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Super for hauling 2 mountain bikes without disassembling any bike parts - both fit fine standing up in the back with seats out or seats hanging up on the side. Loved being able to sleep in it on road trips with all seats left in/just reclined (just put mesh fabric over windows with magnets to hold fabric in place.) Super dependable in the rain and snow. Excellent turning radius. Doors became problematic when I had two toddlers and had to park next to other cars at the grocery store and get them in and out. I had to replace 4 or 5 windshields because rocks caused cracks (I think it must be a design flaw.) Honda did cover the first one when we could not find a rock pock at the crack start.

Favorite Features

Honda performance and reliability. Was rear ended at lower speed and the back end crumpled well under the spare tire and kids in back were none worse for the wear. Back seat configuration for sleeping and for hanging them up without having to remove them. Direct Ipod connection to radio.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise. WINDSHIELD cracking problem. Armrest for passenger. Handles on ceiling moved to help people climb into back seat better. A version that would hold 3 kids instead of just two. (I had to move up to an Oddysey.)

Lots of Maintanence Problems
By John Dunford

2003 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have only 64,000 miles on my Honda Element and I still enjoy its utility. However with this low mileage I have already had a blown clutch, a blown compressor for the AC, and a persistent problem with the door locks in that the keys do not work. I have been a faithful Honda owner for many years and have always had a manual transmission. I am a careful driver. To have over 5000 dollars in maintenance already with this low mileage is a serious test to my brand loyalty.

Favorite Features

Interior Utility

Suggested Improvements

Make more reliable