Used 2003 Honda Element EX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Practicality Rules--DO NOT IMPROVE
By MrH

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the design, the economical materials, the cool looks, the quick handling, the adequate power, the acceptable fuel mileage, the adequate acceleration, and the big windows . This is one heck of a vehicle--there is nothing else like it. It is (relatively) cheap, the design is way cool, the practicality is unmatched by anything short of a pickup, and it will haul four passengers.

Favorite Features

Seat height, windows, handling, power, cargo space, rear access, color, silver and black

Suggested Improvements

Seating for FIVE

'03 Element
By JH

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty much solid mechanically, although recently had a $900+ starter replacement. However, a squeaking suspension (even after new shocks), loose sun visors that won't stay tightened, a frozen passenger lock that Honda won't replace since it didn't begin to seize until over 60,000 miles (unlike the driver side, which was fixed for free), & map light lenses that keep falling out, are some 1st yr fit & finish issues with my 2003 Element.

Favorite Features

Indestructible rubber floors & rugged upholstery, plus great hauling room for size of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter fit & finish in interior fixtures and better locks, & a smoother ride with less noisy suspension, although these issues have probably all been addressed in the 6 years since the Element's intro.

Takes the Fun out of Functional
By green_ghost

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my E for all the features and practicality. It's easy to maintain, easy to clean, and easy to own all around. It runs great with 70,000 miles, and maintenance has been minimal. I really love the waterproof seats and rubber floors. I get sand, mud and water in the car all the time from all the outdoor sports that I do. It's super easy to clean the car and not worry about the mess. I also love the versatility of seating, and cargo space. It's so easy to throw anything I want in the car. The E is Uber functional, just not very fun to drive. It's not fast, not sporty, doesn't handle well at high speed or in corners, but it gets me where I need to go and is reasonably comfortable.

Favorite Features

Very nice to have plastic fenders, I can lean a bike on them without scratching paint, and I've hit a few bushes while driving off road. The plastic fenders don't show any scratches from any of this.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound proofing. I hear a lot of wind noise on the freeway. A lot of wind noise. I think this was improved in later model years- I bought the first model year of the Element.

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 2W (2.4L
By Cris

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was the 1st person to have this kind of car in Texas, people looked me at as if I was from outer space or some kinda stupid to have a bread toaster looking car. But I don't mind that negative image because I was more concerned about the space and style versatility of the car. After driving this for 5 years now, I realized that I hate this car at all. I drove Nissan, Toyota, Porsche, Dodge, Chevy, Mazda and I realized the difference. There are far more better cars out there than Honda. I give credit to the reliability of this company but because of this prestige they had, they were too overconfident about their market and they made less effort of better design and worth your money to buy their car.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, passenger leg room, easy to clean, clam shell door, no carpet, roominess/loadability, seat versatility, wide open door, removable seats, cabinet type door opening.

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage, too boxy, very woobly driving on highway, passenger back door should independently open w/o opening 2 front doors first, cheap looking dashboard, rear seat should accomodate 3 passenger (eliminate the plastic cup holder), center of gravity too high, bad blind spot, metals easily rust

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Christopher

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 144,000 on my 2003 Honda. This is the only car I can honestly say I like driving more each time I get behind the wheel. I have just now had any "major" repairs done, and that was to replace the front end bushings, a normal maintenance item given the mileage. My family and I have taken trips in this car and I think my 2 teens are more comfortable in this car than my wife's Suburban.

Favorite Features

This car is easy and fun to drive. It is rock solid stable on two lane roads and on the interstate. The roominess is much more than one would expect, given the exterior dimensions.

Suggested Improvements

My #1 complaint . . . it is strictly a four passenger vehicle. If the rear seats could be configured in such a way to make this a five passenger vehicle that would be great. #2 - Make this vehicle in a diesel version. I'll buy the first one.