Used 2003 Honda Element DX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Never loved a car before in my life!
By sarahkate

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cars were always simply a way to get places for me, until I bought my Element! I have 154000 miles on it. I have done basic maintenance; brakes, struts and only just did my exhaust. I do have the original clutch, tho! It does not look 9 years old, either. I only have 1 complaint and that is that Honda has stopped making it!!! I was looking forward to a second Element when I need to replace this one. I am hoping that by that time Honda will have reissued it. I love my Element so much that I convinced both my sisters to get one!

Favorite Features

Space, space, space! So much space by either folding up the rear seats or taking them out completely. For a 4 cylinder car it has quite a bit of zip, too. There is no lag getting on highways, etc. It also handles like a dream. Even after 9 years I get the same mileage as when I first bought it. I have the FWD model but with snow tires we call it my bulldozer. New England winters have given it a real workout! It is so easy to keep clean, specifically the floors.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can not think of one improvement needed. Of course, except that Honda has to start making them again!!!!

It doesn't get better
By Paul Nerenberg

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

With my very high mileage driving at mostly high speeds on all sorts of road conditions, I can truthfully say that the Element is the most pleasurable vehicle of the more than 20 I have owned. At close to 100,000 miles, I am not pleased that the struts must be replaced at extremely high cost. Other than that, I recommend this vehicle to family, friends, neighbors and strangers every chance I get.

Suggested Improvements

The driver's side front door needs electric switches to open and close the rear side windows. That's all she needs.

I am in my Element
By Sue

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought someone's deal gone bad so I got some toys I might not have added to the vehicle, but I am glad I have them now. It is fun to drive. The manual shift lever is very handy (short throw)- positioned like a sports car. I love being high off the road and everyone is AMAZED at the room inside it. I use it for moving around displays and large boxes in my business.

Favorite Features

No carpet, lots of room and the stock CD player is not bad.

Suggested Improvements

have the sun roof available in all models.

Honda Element is a great family, fun car
By Dana

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love this vehicle and would buy another. With no carpeting, tons of space, and fold up seats, we can fit the kids and all their stuff, or appliances. Gas mileage is okay - around 21 in the city and I drive 100 miles a day. It's real comfortable on long trips, though I wish a passenger front armrest was standard. MP3 compatible, and outlets everywhere. And the best is no carpet to get smelly from wet or dirty shoes; just vacuum it out, and we're ready to go. Truly fun to drive, though the back seats sit up high and adults usually think it's weird; but I love it! Already looking to see what the new ones have, and might trade it in for another. Great family vehicle.

Favorite Features

No carpet to get ruined, sits up nice and high, and it's fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a passenger armrest up front and under the seat storage bins for the front seats.

Ele is great!
By Hark12

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Element...It is wonderful for carrying my greyhound, luggage, bikes and husband all at the same time! I do wish that the rear windows rolled down- the dog misses sticking her head out of the window while we're driving. My only other qualm is the location of the moonroof- I paid for the car- I should be able to look up at the clouds!! I would highly recommend the element to anyone who wants a small SUV that gets good gas mileage and has plenty of room (we also carried our Christmas tree home in the Element last year- we stood it up and poked the top through the moonroof!)

Suggested Improvements

Roll down windows in back, moon roof up front