Used 2003 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Element SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

This car feels like home now
By chasitye

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When i first saw this car I thought it was the ugliest thing I had ever seen. Upon further driving and testing, it was PERFECT! The roominess has spoiled me. I can't even tell you how many times I've hauled things inside the car with the seats up and peoples jaws drop because they "had no idea". Countless times I have used the suicide doors to get the kids out and people come up to my car to check it out. It's a 2003!!! Don't act like you've never seen one. With two kids under 10 the rubber floors have been a Godsend! I can't tell you how many ice creams and food disasters have been avoided. Not to mention that after beach trips I just take my leaf blower and blow ALL the sand out of the car

The water proof seats and rubber flooring with high ceiling

Rear a/c and heating option. It can take a minute to fill the entire cube with heat or air. Also, a power rear window for those days you want all the windows down. The pop out windows mean you have to crawl back and pop them open.

Only for the Lonely/Adventurist Person
By kingkorvo

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased my Honda Element, I was enchanted with the uniqueness of the ride: it was a truck, SUV, and small car mixed altogether and it can get you where you want to go. It's a great ride for someone who doesn't have kids and likes the great versalitity of a crossover vechile. To Pros: 1) It's a Honda; its gonna retain value 2) Weather conditions/ off road- handles great 3) Plenty interior space; could live out of it 4) Crosscountry trips made easy The Cons: 1) It's only a 4 seater 2) Arm rest only for driver seat 3) A/C control of cabin is hard because of size 4) Anything on the floor rolls up to the front because of stadium seating 5) Gas mileage runs 19/22 One mancar!

Never loved a car before in my life!
By sarahkate

2003 Honda Element SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cars were always simply a way to get places for me, until I bought my Element! I have 154000 miles on it. I have done basic maintenance; brakes, struts and only just did my exhaust. I do have the original clutch, tho! It does not look 9 years old, either. I only have 1 complaint and that is that Honda has stopped making it!!! I was looking forward to a second Element when I need to replace this one. I am hoping that by that time Honda will have reissued it. I love my Element so much that I convinced both my sisters to get one!

Space, space, space! So much space by either folding up the rear seats or taking them out completely. For a 4 cylinder car it has quite a bit of zip, too. There is no lag getting on highways, etc. It also handles like a dream. Even after 9 years I get the same mileage as when I first bought it. I have the FWD model but with snow tires we call it my bulldozer. New England winters have given it a real workout! It is so easy to keep clean, specifically the floors.

I honestly can not think of one improvement needed. Of course, except that Honda has to start making them again!!!!

great car
By atorreon

2003 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

great utility car! this thing can do it all without any worries. not the geatest looking car but can fill any need. the element is honestly the best snow handling car i've ever driven

the massive storage space in such a small vehicle

bigger engine would be the only suggestion

Utili-toaster
By jlawton

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

At its heart, the Element is exactly what a small SUV should be- practical, reliable, and easy to drive. What sets the car apart is simply how over-the-top utilitarian it really is. The interior is nearly indestructible. The rubberized floors are easy to clean, the seats are waterproof, and the folding rear seats open up a cavernous cargo area that will easily accommodate mountain bikes with the wheels still attached. For a giant rolling box, it handles surprisingly well- though not a sports car, the car feels stable and relatively nimble on mountain roads. An excellent buy for dog owners, college students, or anybody with an active lifestyle.

Massive cargo room, distinctive appearance, high-quality sound system, AUX input, easy to drive, smooth powertrain, reliability, tiny turning circle, reclining/folding rear seats, fun to drive.

Could use a bit more power at times. Gas mileage could be improved just a bit. Rear blind spots are disconcerting at times but easily fixed with a wide-angle interior mirror and convex stick-on mirrors. Needs an interior hatch release.