2003 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
Practicality Rules--DO NOT IMPROVE
By MrH on 06/05/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the design, the economical materials, the cool looks, the quick handling, the adequate power, the acceptable fuel mileage, the adequate acceleration, and the big windows . This is one heck of a vehicle--there is nothing else like it. It is (relatively) cheap, the design is way cool, the practicality is unmatched by anything short of a pickup, and it will haul four passengers.

'03 Element
By JH on 05/24/09 18:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty much solid mechanically, although recently had a $900+ starter replacement. However, a squeaking suspension (even after new shocks), loose sun visors that won't stay tightened, a frozen passenger lock that Honda won't replace since it didn't begin to seize until over 60,000 miles (unlike the driver side, which was fixed for free), & map light lenses that keep falling out, are some 1st yr fit & finish issues with my 2003 Element.

Takes the Fun out of Functional
By green_ghost on 04/02/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my E for all the features and practicality. It's easy to maintain, easy to clean, and easy to own all around. It runs great with 70,000 miles, and maintenance has been minimal. I really love the waterproof seats and rubber floors. I get sand, mud and water in the car all the time from all the outdoor sports that I do. It's super easy to clean the car and not worry about the mess. I also love the versatility of seating, and cargo space. It's so easy to throw anything I want in the car. The E is Uber functional, just not very fun to drive. It's not fast, not sporty, doesn't handle well at high speed or in corners, but it gets me where I need to go and is reasonably comfortable.

2003 Honda Element EX AWD 2W (2.4L
By Cris on 04/24/08 00:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was the 1st person to have this kind of car in Texas, people looked me at as if I was from outer space or some kinda stupid to have a bread toaster looking car. But I don't mind that negative image because I was more concerned about the space and style versatility of the car. After driving this for 5 years now, I realized that I hate this car at all. I drove Nissan, Toyota, Porsche, Dodge, Chevy, Mazda and I realized the difference. There are far more better cars out there than Honda. I give credit to the reliability of this company but because of this prestige they had, they were too overconfident about their market and they made less effort of better design and worth your money to buy their car.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Christopher on 03/30/08 10:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 144,000 on my 2003 Honda. This is the only car I can honestly say I like driving more each time I get behind the wheel. I have just now had any "major" repairs done, and that was to replace the front end bushings, a normal maintenance item given the mileage. My family and I have taken trips in this car and I think my 2 teens are more comfortable in this car than my wife's Suburban.

Not what it should be
By Ken on 03/27/08 12:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car and thought it was the best for about a year, but since then i have had 3 windshields replaced, and 2 more chipped, because the windshield is to stright. My drives seat has had to be replaced, Honda said I wore it out, not so it is made out of bad material and they won't fess up to that. Now I have had to tune up the computer so the engine light would go out. The millage lights in the dash had to be replaced. Bottom line to many things are going wrong to give this car a good review, i wish i had some of the cars these other people are talking about.

2003 Turbo Toaster
By KGRoberts on 12/27/07 12:41 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Toyo 4Runner for this Element. There's a lot of room on the inside, especially in the back seat. Seats sit up high. Room for 4 people only. Zippy with the 5Manual trans. Plastic panels are utilitarian, easy care, no door dings. This engineer takes notes on every tank of fuel, 26MPG average. Honda replaced my A/C system 6k miles out of warranty (no charge to me). Happy Honda owner.

About the Windshield
By Eilleen on 10/27/07 13:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Element. Best car I have ever owned. Bought it because it was so roomy and dog friendly. Dog hair just blow out the interior. Muddy feet just get a hose.

Love my Element!!
By Sarah on 11/25/06 05:55 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am 47 years old and have always seen cars as simply a way to get places. I have never actually "loved" a car before. I love my Element!! I love the outdoors and lugging my kayak around is never a problem for me now. The seats are so versatile: I moved my daughter to and from college 3 years running by removing the back seats and loading it up- and you know how much girls bring to college! It is easy to get my elderly parents (both are 81) in and out. It is fun to drive; I have the 5 speed and love the location of the stick. I had one of the first ones in my area and was stopped on the street many times to tell people about my car. It is easy to clean as no carpets! I love my Element!!!

Roomy
By David on 08/21/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's roomy. It's tough. Most people can't believe the space available when the seats are folded up or removed. The armrest on the passenger seat should be standard. That would be a plus.