Used 2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Cr-z - Consumer Reviews

2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback

View reviews for a specific CR-Z model:

I came from a 430HP M3. And I couldn't be happier!
By crzducatiman

2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Yes, I sold my 08 BMW M3, which was a beast. But I got sick of spending $73 for gas 2.5 times per week on my 55 miles to work. I got the CR-Z because I wanted a hybrid but still have some fun. The car teaches you how to drive efficiently. It's like playing a video game while driving. My 1+ hour commutes are over in NO TIME now. Not because I'm going faster, but because I'm having more fun. It's awesome. (This is also because the CR-Z EX has an AMAZING stereo. Sound is unbelievable. The EPA estimates on MPG are WAY off. I just got over 53 MPG the other day in economy mode! I love that I can drive in econ mode but hit the S+ button for full electric power to pass!

Favorite Features

Fun performance (you can actually get HPD or aftermarket upgrades to increase HP to make this a serious sports car), hot looks, interior is so high tech everyone loves it, comfort, actual MPG is amazing - I am saving so much money, fun to upgrade (carbon fiber parts, etc.), S+ button on 2013+ models, killer stereo with the EX package, Manual Transmission is awesome and fun to drive, very good looking exterior and interior.

Suggested Improvements

1. Make the passenger window auto like the drivers (you can get an aftermarket part to do this but it should be stock IMHO). Small gripe though.

way more them they give credit
By moody17

2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

when you look at the stats and specs that this car is givin its misleading. saying its not fast enuf or the gasmilage isnt what its supost to be, i must disagree i got the 6mt and was told 31-38 thats not what im getting im up to 43 avg. and the 0-60 they claim im blowing it away and i havent even givin it all its got its about 6 sec witch is faster then any car in its price range the sport and eco buttons make a huge diffrence and the s+ gives you something extra too. i think if honda and other companies would have tested it properly they would have sold more. i wasnt going to buy it after looking up online reviews but after testing it i couldnt refuse its far more then they give it credit

Favorite Features

its by far the best looking car made in a long time not counting high priced cars that nobody can afford. the manual transmission the only proper way to drive a car. that cvt and flappy paddles are a joke on all cars. all hail the stick!

Suggested Improvements

give it the 60 mpg we know it can get, the 1988 crx gets 51 mpg what happend? kinda feels ur cheating us

An awesome blend--
By 20gauge

2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a 2006 Mini. Same MPG as my CRZ but used premium. The CRZ has proven to be more practical for stuff than the Mini was for me. Traded the Mini in 18 months on an Prius. 50 MPG--but--BORING !! No driver connection at all. Makes the CRZ feel like an Elise! My CRZ is base with a CVT-- BUT paddle shifters and sport mode and this buggy can zoom down a twisty country road with great aplomb and put a smile on an road course instructors face too. I have been getting 38-42 MPG per tank as well. I've tested the Fiesta, Focus and some Asian itty-bittys. The CRZ is much sportier as a momentum car, not a point and squirt car like most car magazine reviewers want. I just wish it was RWD.

Favorite Features

MPG, solid-no glass in roof, sports car feel, attractive

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility. I know there is a camera now, but if I can't have it on when I want to change lanes, I need more ! The seatback latch for access to the rear area needs to be up on top of the seat. What was they thinking ? The seat itself should slide forward as well when you move the back forward. I would like to be able to see the odometer all the time. Make it so we can lower the drivers seat more. Make the rear windows operable vents. All windows one touch close. Ventilated/AC seat option.

Great little car!
By mom2tigger

2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

My son needed a new car. After test driving the Ford Fiesta and checking out the Veloster and Civic SI, he decided on a cr-z and we are happy he did. The car gets very good gas mileage for around town (average 34.1 with a/c running most of the time and usually in normal mode). You can't go by the EPA mileage rates because that doesn't take into consideration the option to drive in Econ mode to increase fuel efficiency. Look up what actual drivers are posting for what they are getting and you will be surprised. We have the 2014 ex with the lithium ion batteries. Car has plenty of pep in normal mode and is really fun to drive so I don't know what the reviewer is comparing it to.

Favorite Features

Sport mode is addictive but you lose some of the fuel efficiency. I have driven manual for 42 years and this car has the smoothest shifting of any car I have driven. My son test drove the Ford Fiesta stick and was not impressed with it at all but really likes this one. The dashboard is impressive and easy to operate. The backup camera is great. Don't know why the reviewer said it is only available on the EX with navigation. Our regular EX came with it. Nice cargo space. Don't understand the reviewers comments about no back seat. If you want a 4 or 5 seat car then that is what you should look at. If you want a 2 seater then this is a great little car! Love borrowing this car for errands

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility takes a little getting use to so you need to use the side mirrors. I usually position the passenger seat so I have a good view out of the rear side window. Wish the passenger seat had the ability to raise it like the driver's seat. I am short so have no problem in the driver's seat but the passenger seat is a bit low for me.

Replaced my CRX
By karr3

2013 Honda CR-Z Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Purchased the CRZ to replace my old CRX which had 400,000 miles on it. I drove the CVT model and it was very dull. However, the Manual transmission is tons of fun to drive. I look for reasons to drive this car because it is so much fun to drive and the gas cost practically nothing. Price of the car was a bargain and with the 3 different driving modes I get the feeling like I purchased 3 different cars. I can drive fast and reckless in sport mode, or slow and fuel efficient in ECO. Overall this car is extremely fun to drive; the instrumentation on the dash board makes me feel like I’m flying a space ship. But don’t expect the Porsche like handling that the CRX delivered.

Favorite Features

Front end looks Race style seats Dash board Long list of amazing standard features on base model.

Suggested Improvements

Low power at high speed. Gas and performance are not as good as the 20 year old CRX's. Too much roll