Used 2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-Z model:

I love getting in my car each morning!
By kristen21

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I love this car! I bought it because I wanted a fuel efficient car that was also fun to drive. This car is definitely fun to drive and I love getting into it each morning. I've owned my CR-z for about 6 months now. This car is really comfortable-- I love that the seats hug you. I also like all the bells and whistles like blue tooth phone connection, radio adjustment from the steering wheel, and a USB port to hook up my ipod. I had to rent a Chevy Malibu and every time I got in the car I missed my CR-z. I hated the way the Malibu handled and I didn't like its responsiveness. I love this car and would definitely recommend it.

I really like the manual transmission as well as the different driving modes. This is the only hybrid I know of with a manual transmission. I usually drive in the eco mode unless I'm having a really bad or a really good day-- then I switch it up to sport which is super fun. I was worried about the size of the car at first, but actually the back of the car is really big. I can fit my bike in my car if I take off the front wheel of my bike.

The hatchback is really tough to see out of. The frame is really bulky making backing up challenging. The fuel efficiency isn't what I hoped. I thought I'd be able to get around 40+ mpg, but it's ended up being 39 in the summer and 36 in the fall. I keep the car in eco mode the vast majority of the time as well as I drive really conservatively to save gas. I can get around 43 mpg when I'm driving on the highway only, but in the city its closer to 34 or 36. I accidentally left my headlights on for about 30 minutes and my battery went dead. Once I jumped it I was able to charge the battery up again, but I feel like it doesn't last as long as a traditional battery.

Great comprimise between sport and milage
By rskdsk

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I absolutley love this car. It is sporty, has a cool 3d dash, has some power in sport mode, and has style! It is not a tire shreader ... but much 1000X better than the veloster I traded in! The car even handels decent. Yes, it does not have rear seats and the real mpg is about 35-37mpg in eco mode ... 30-32mpg in sport mode ... but it is perfect as the daily go to work car.

I love the 3D dash, handeling, and looks

More powerful electric motor capable of electric mode only would be nice.

Fun Drive!
By rzmann

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had this car for 5 months now and can't wait to drive it each day. We live in the Rockies and travel to Salt Lake Utah valley often. Love the ride up and down the mountains. No lost of power coming up. Fuel average is 40 mpg. Sport car all the way!

I love it
By dano_seattle

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I saw a couple of these running around town, but never really stopped to look. I began calculating gas costs of my 1997 gas eater and decided it was time to look around. I looked at all kinds of different models, hybrids, new, used, etc. I finally settled on the CR-Z as my first choice for test drive and once I drove it, that was it. If I wasn't convinced before I was then. Sleek, sharp, and comfortable all around would be the best way to describe. I completely agree with the other reviewers as well.

I must start out by commenting on the speed and power of this car. I definitely feel the "pro" reviewers are overly critical of this point. I've driven faster cars and while this isn't going to win many races, it has more than ample power and torque to make it quick and nimble, and very enjoyable to drive. So far on my commute around Seattle which includes heavy traffic and some fairly open highways I get roughly 43 mpg using econ mode. I haven't tested with normal or sport. Overall I love my car, it's a joy to look at and drive and it sure feels good to help the earth, save money, and not having to fill up every few days.

Not much other than bells and whistles. Would have loved a sunroof option.

Great ride, performance and fuel economy
By drewmn

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback w/Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm not a treehugger. This car caught me with it's design and road feel. The performance is available to you, and as a bonus you get some pretty amazing gas savings. I've been averaging between 43-48mpg on the highway. Everything about this car is tailored to the driver and you really feel that this is your vehicle, not the passengers. It's quick to accelerate, handles great around corners, and is a fun car. The rear of the car has plenty of storage space unless of course you have a Great Dane. Plenty of leg room, great sound system, and exceptional quality really add value to this vehicle. Not to mention it takes up so little space in the garage.

Design, Performance, Fuel Economy, Small Size

I wish that Honda had installed or had the option for a back-up camera. But without it, you still get used to where you need to look. This isn't an SUV with a fishtank view, and it can't be compared that way.