2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Review: 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD Real World

2014 Honda CR-V - Consumer Review

EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic)

2014 CR-V EX-L AWD Real World Review
By gpdpdoo on

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I just bought the car a little over a week ago. Before purchasing I had narrowed down my search to Toyota, Mazda and Honda. I chose the Honda because I really liked the roomy interior and it was fun to drive. The gas mileage was also a deciding factor, although all three car makers were very close in that category. I also chose the Honda for its reliability and resale value.

Favorite Features

The Good: Very nice, large interior spaces. I think a small family would love this car. Also, the little 2.5 4 cyl engine is peppy, which makes it fun to drive. The interior is well appointed, although in its class it is struggling a little behind the other models in terms of technology. I'm not super techy though, so it's not a big deal to me. More Good: It handles like a dream. The car is very smooth and easy to drive. I've read complaints about road noise, but so far I have not noticed it.

Suggested Improvements

The Bad: Gas mileage is falling short of what the window sticker promised. I'm getting about 19 mpg on average. I mostly drive a mix of highway/city. Bad thing #2: The windshield wipers. I wish I had read or watched a review that brought this up. The CR-V has 2 different sized wipers on it. One side short, the driver side long. The short one leaves a water mark across the windshield, then the big one comes back across and leaves another one. I know you are thinking, "who cares?", as I did, but after 3 days of rain it's getting really annoying. It's a design flaw that Honda obviously ignored. I will now and forever always test drive cars in the rain because of it.
By kieran0325
on 05/13/14 09:11 AM (PDT)

Have you tried replacing the wipers with "non-Honda" items from a parts store? Might just be that Honda put crappy blades on their CR-Vs? I know you shouldn't have to buy wiper blades just after buying the car; but if the issue is that frustrating I would try it for peace of mind during the upcoming Summer with T-storms! Good Luck! :-)