2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Beware of posted fuel mileage.
By Jim

2014 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our CRV in November and love the vehicle with one exception. The fuel mileage isn't anywhere close to what it was sold as being. My wife has a daily commute of 30 miles each way to work, so fuel economy was a major factor in our decision. Although with 90% of our driving being interstate, the vehicle is only averaging 23.5 mpg even with the eco turned on. If you are looking at the CRV for the fuel economy, I would recommend looking at another vehicle.

Very Good SUV except for one thing
By Cliff

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The VTC actuator. During cold winter mornings a loud rattle occurs when first starting the car. Honda says it's normal and is the VTC actuator which is not causing any damage. I've had my CRV for 2 years now and Honda has not made any repairs for this. I consider this a manufacture defect. I don't like an SUV that rattles during the first cold start of the day. If this isn't fixed in the next year, I'm getting a Toyota.

Honda sells a name, not quality
By hondahater

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Navigation 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Arrived to dealer from factory with a defective windshield- replaced. Battery leaked acid after 7 months - replaced, stealership tried to charge for battery service - battery leaked acid and it had to be wiped - failed, warranty service. Uncomfortable seats, no arm rest on passenger side, impossible to vacuum debris magnet upholstery, carpet, worst materials ever, plastic is prone to scratches, no hand brake, only parking brake pedal too low, seat height adjustment lever in a bad spot, touch with the thigh every time get in and out, seat lowers and needs to be raised. The more i get in and out the more often it happens. Paint prone to scratches. Radiator is open, no grille, not possible or difficult to custom install, MPG combined stop-and-go bumper to bumper or highway normal conditions low 20's. No maintenance schedule, have to go by the stupid maintenance minder. Nothing like my previous 2004 honda. This one is my last.

enjoy this car
By Jamie Bailey

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I really enjoy this car, and here is why. 1) the transmission shifts like I think a transmission should. Nice clean shifts, no hesitation, quick to downshift. I've had GM's version (Equinox/Terrain/every other 2.4L GM car) and I hate the way their tranny shifts. 2) the seats have fold down armrests - they are perfect for me. 3) the center console with the sliding door - so easy to open and access from the driver's seat. 4) the controls for heat/ac and radio are so simple and straightforward. 5) the mileage - i regularly get 28mpg on my 65 mile roundtrip to work and back through mixed hwy/city. If I had to complain about anything there are two things. 1) on startup in colder weather, the engine makes a quick rattle that sounds like metal on metal. Many Honda 2.4s have this, apparently, but the dealer says its nothing to worry about. So i don't worry, but it sounds bad in the morning. 2) wind noise is more noticeable than in my wife's Ford Focus. Its not bad, but could be quieter. All that being said, I can't really say for sure what I like best, just that I really enjoy driving this car. And I've had a lot of cars. This is one of my faves. Got about 15,000 miles on it so far.

"Cry wolf" tire light and redundant warning screen
By Jyoti Naik

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Navigation 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the 2014 model because I needed an AWD in central NY snow. I like to wait a year to post reviews because I want to really get to know my car. PROs - Reliable, comfortable, functional, gas mileage CONS - After starting the car, it takes several screens of warnings before I get to my GPS and punch in my destination. Why? FIrst a screen about the satellite for 60 seconds. What is stupid warnings like "Driver is responsible for operation of vehicle" warning? Really? The DMV thinks so. When will you Honda? Duh! WHy don't you have me sign a release when I buy the car so I don't have to look at this every single time I start my car. Takes 30 seconds AFTER you hit OK for the next screen.T hen comes a screen saying your phone is connected for another 30 seconds. Malfunctioning tire pressure light since the day I bought it. Dealership cannot fix it. This is so stressful when you are driving in bad weather because I can't tell if this time the light is for real or just faking it. Poor radio reception. I get 2 stations while all my neighbors get 6 or 8 stations GPS navigation is not intuitive like other cars. Needs too many clicks to get your destination or to find your address book. Screen is invisible when sun shines on it. Need anti glare screen. it takes several screens of warnings before I get to my GPS and punch in my destination. Why? Salem dealership is not knowledgeable. Did not fix my shuddering brakes. Just told me to keep driving and it would go away which it has not. Cruise control has 5 - 10 miles/hr variance on hills after I have set it. This could result in a speeding ticket! Motor is very loud while driving

• SUV