Uncomfortable; I'm giving it to my twins
By husky46cc on
2013 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I can't drive this car on a trip. The headrest is tilted so far forward that I can't get comfortable. I have a neck ache for a week after a 300 mile trip. My advice: Drive this car out on the interstate for at least 15 minutes before you buy it. I wish I had. Also uncomfortable: The surface of the steering wheel is slippery plastic. It makes my hand ache after 45 minutes of highway driving. Again - DRIVE this car before you plunk down the money. Make sure you fit in it comfortably. I didn't drive it enough. I regret it. I should have gotten the Forester. It's too bad that the car is so uncomfortable. Otherwise I'd keep it forever. One more time: Do NOT test drive this ca
Favorite Features
Wonderful folding rear seats. Very, very flat cargo area. Enlarged rear door openings to fit big things through easily. Peppy engine, 5 speed transmission. Tremendous acceleration for passing cars on the interstate. Good turning radius. Astonishing gas mileage if you're willing to drive at 61 mph on cruise control on the interstate (as opposed to 80 so many others.) I've verified repeatedly that I get 43.2 miles per gallon on the interstate with the cruise control at 62 mph. I've made the same 550 mile round trip six times in the last month and each time I got 43 miles per gallon. One tank (13 gallons ) took me 550 miles.
Suggested Improvements
Make the headrests comfortable. They are pure torture. They're tilted so far forward that it's impossible to relax your neck. This is baffling to me. Why did Honda make such a mistake? Subaru did not. Improve the visibility all around. It's dangerous. Especially to the rear. Put a proximity beeper with the back up camera. If you're test driving this car, please, please drive it more than the 6 miles I did before plunking down your dough. Take it out on the highway and drive it just like you were starting out on a trip. After 10 miles, if your neck is comfortable - go for it. If not, don't get this car.
By lt1735
on 07/03/13 16:12 PM (PDT)

Headrests on all cars have been redesigned over the past years to move them further forward to reduce whiplash injuries in rear-end collisions. They want the headrest right next to your head. Your only option is to raise or lower it to try and find a comfortable front-to-back setting. (I found this out from my Chiropractor when I got a whiplash injury in an older car. He told me all about headrest design and how it has changed).

By 5seasons
on 06/28/13 15:58 PM (PDT)

I found the 2014 Forester to be very uncomfortable after sitting in the seat for 5 minutes. After the redesign, you would think Subaru would put more thought into the seating. I am 5'1 and my husband is 6'5 and neither of us have any complaints about the CRV seats. The Outback has a much nicer more comfortable seat than the CRV but it is not as smooth and intuitive to drive as the CRV. I could not get used to the noise in the CVT transmission of Subaru. I think test driving a car multiple times at different dealerships is helpful.

By giaco
on 03/28/13 20:15 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem with my '12 Accord. I hoped I would get used to it, but I haven't. Trouble is, I love everything else about the car. I made a back pad by enclosing an inch and a half thick pad of dense polyester batting in a cloth case. It's not pretty, but it makes all the difference. In Winter, wearing a jacket in the car also helps a lot. Some people have reported bending the head rest bars so the head rest is an inch or two further back. I wouldn't do that. This design is in other cars, too, and seems to be a result of the NHTSA final ruling on head restraints (49 CFR Part 571.) This is a very long and technical read, but if you want to know why the seat is so uncomfortable, you can give it a look.