2013 Honda CR-V Consumer Review: Excellent balance of design el

2013 Honda CR-V - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Excellent balance of design elements--update
By flicker25 on

2013 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I previously posted that initial 2013 CRV gas mileage was good, not great. I may have underestimated Honda. Just returned from a 300-mile round trip to Ocean City, Md., with 4 adults and cargo area piled up to rear window with food and clothing. With engine warmed and driving a flat stretch of US 1 between Newark, DE, and OC--and keeping a steady 60 mph in eco mode--computer said I was getting 34.2 mpg (no stops or hard accelerations). To make sure there was no advantage in descending elevation, I ran the same route in reverse. Computer said I was getting 33.9 mpg. If computer is accurate, this mileage suggests very high engine efficiency --and better-than-EPA estimates. Impressive.

The area below the headlights is raked sharply to the rear and prevents smacking into cement curbs and parking lot ground barriers. Yay. With instantaneous mpg bar graph on speedo dial, you can quickly learn just how much to pick up momentum on down slopes and ride up hills with foot backed off of gas pedal so as to keep mpg up. I expect gas to be $5.00 a gallon nationwide within 5 years, so this kind of fuel efficiency will be critical. Another poster said that cruise control didn't kick in right away. For us, it engaged immediately and never dropped below the speed at which I engaged it.

We had been looking at a hybrid. With the above mpg numbers, the hybrid has about a 10 mpg advantage--but a $3,000 higher price tag. The math suggests we would have to drive over 100,000 miles to negate the higher upfront layout--and by then, the cost of hybrid replacement battery packs arises (a hybrid dealer scoffed and said this concern was a non-issue, but I don't have the technical expertise to gauge this cost seven to twelve years out). This is our first Honda vehicle and I don't work or shill for Honda. I just think this vehicle is (so far at least) showing us real value in all areas of design and function.