Good value for the price
By atobz on
2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I am halfway through my 2012 CR-V LX AWD lease; my commute is ~7m RT and I rarely travel long distance for work. I live in hilly NE where AWD is a must for us. As this is the primary commuter car (second car is an around-town minivan) I wanted the safety and all-purpose features of an SUV with the mileage and comfort of a sedan. On the whole I am impressed given what I see is a lack of strong competitors in this price range. As a former Honda/Subaru/Saab owner, I preferred the build of Honda over Kia and Hyundai, find the fit/finish/layout of the RAV-4 (and most Toyotas in general) a bit wonky, don't trust the reliability or build quality of Ford quite yet, and don't have the $ for an MDX.
Favorite Features
AWD; size; RV camera; Bluetooth/phone connectivity; split rear seat; instrument cluster; storage; awesome reliability; good fuel economy for a small SUV; fit and finish is very good but not perfect.
Suggested Improvements
My #1 caution to prospective buyers, regardless of trim level, is the extremely (almost shockingly) limited visibility. Merging or changing lanes requires you to crane your neck almost to the extent as if you were backing up - hence the reason the RV camera was an essential standard feature given how the CR-Vs seem to decrease in visibility each generation, according to other reviews. My fault, but I highly recommend moving up to the EX-L. The front seat of the LX had extremely limited adjustability and I really miss the leather interior in the Outback. Also, moving up to the EL-L gets you dual zone climate control, heated seats, and fog-lights, things I took for granted in the Subaru.