Great SUV, but underpowered
By jhesselbein on
2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
The 2012 CR-V has a lot to offer. Ergonomically, it is very practical - everything is within the driver's reach, including climate controls, radio controls (which are redundant on the steering wheel), bluetooth, etc. The instrument cluster is a fresh design and its fuel economy is certainly respectable for a small SUV (I average about 26-29 depending on type of driving: city v. highway). There is ample room in the rear seats for average-sixed adults. The powertrain operates very smoothly and the vehicle, overall, have a very car-like driving demeanor.
Favorite Features
iPod connectivity; bluetooth capability (this feature only works 100% with Blackberry phones); sunroof;
Suggested Improvements
I used to own a 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer model. While comparing the CR-V to an Expedition is like comparing apples to oranges, I can honestly say I am disappointed with the lack of power and torque. In all reality, my Expedition was no quicker to 60 MPH than the CR-V, but it certainly felt more promising when accelerating. The CR-V lacks torque, which is necessary when merging on to the highway, taking off from a stoplight, etc. In addition, the transmission only offers five ratios; most of the CR-V's competitors offer six speeds or even continuously variable transmissions. Overall, it's a great vehicle but the powertrain needs to be updated.