Do not purchase
By brendaf123 on
2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
Cruise control drops up to 8 mph going up a hill and gains that much going down. Dealer says the 15 mph speed variation is "normal and within guidelines". I have been driving with cruise controls since they were introduced and have never seen dramatic fluctuations like this even when the technology was new. It is too bad that Honda finds this acceptable. Side window fogs making it difficult or impossible to see side mirror. Defroster doesn't help. Seems to be a design flaw particularly in humid climates. Heater works great unfortunately I live in the south and the air conditioner is not adequate on hot days. We thought we were buying a car that we could keep for years. So disappointed.
Favorite Features
Good gas mileage. Good exterior styling.
Suggested Improvements
Redesign cruise control and issue recall. Redesign defroster so it will clear side window. It is dangerous to drive when unable to see driver's side mirror. Make effective air conditioner.
By engnr2
on 02/22/14 12:00 PM (PST)

Did you get a chance to resolve this issue? I was going to buy the CRV but now, after reading about problems that people experience, am reluctant. I just can't imagine a cop giving me any credit for Honda crappy software in cruise control when the car speeds up by 8 mph going down a hill. That's beyond the 5 mph over the limit that usually keeps you safe from cops. In many areas they'll pull you over at 72 mph in 65 mph zone.

By michaelhhlee
on 04/25/13 14:57 PM (PDT)

Brenda, Do you drive with the "econ" mode activated? There is a button to the left of the steering wheel that turns it on and off. A green tree-like icon lights up in the dash when it is activated. The reason I ask is because the cruise control and the air conditioning are both affected by the econ mode. If the econ mode is active, the cruise control slows down a lot more up hills and speeds up a lot more down hills in order to reduce fuel consumption. Similarly, the car dials back the air conditioning when the mode is activated to maximize fuel economy. I am curious because I just bought this car and where I am it hasn't been warm yet so I'd like to know if pressing the econ button would help.