2012 CRV -- Good basic car.
By bruder on
2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
My girlfriend bought a 2012 CRV LX 2WD last summer. I've been driving it recently so I decided to share my experience. The CRV is comfortable and easy to drive. The seats are supportive and very comfortable. The engine provides adequate power and the transmission shifts are smooth. The brakes work well and stops are confident. The CRV handles reasonably well but the steering is somewhat disconnected. For most people it's fine. Visibility out the front and sides are good but the rear window is very small and the visibility out the rear is terrible. Fortunately the back up camera is standard on all models. The sound system is good. We're getting 27-29 mpg in mixed rural driving.
Favorite Features
Excellent fuel economy, very comfortable seats, standard bluetooth and USB audio/charging, plenty of space inside. The sliding center console is very convenient and provides extra storage on top of the console when closed.
Suggested Improvements
The rear window is tiny severely limiting visibility out the back. The mechanical key can only open the drivers door (there is no externally accessible lock on the passenger door, or the hatch). To open the hatch you need to use the remote, or unlock the front door with the key and use the controls on the door (a disadvantage for me). I prefer the 60/40 folding seats in the opposite configuration, with the 60 on the passenger side (like Subaru). It's not easy to shift the automatic transmission manually. I live in a hilly area and would prefer and easy to use manual shift mode. The roof rails are an expensive option.