Used 2012 Honda CR-V LX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great Small SUV
By spin24

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased June 2012. Driven over 10,000 miles. Fun to drive, comfortable, safe, reliable, with good gas mileage and lots of storage room for tools and spare parts.. I use it for personal transportation and as a work vehicle for real estate maintenance. Back up camera and maintenance minder are nice features. Replaced weak OEM headlight bulbs with X-treme power Phillips bulbs and @ 10,200 miles replaced surface cracked rear brake rotors with new , manufactured in Italy, brake rotors and new brake pads.

powerful engine great air conditioning back up camera maintenance minder lots of room in rear with seats down great gas mileage short hood and engine compartment wide doors tilt steering wheel all instrumentation visible smooth transmission

brighter headlights roof rails and crossbars standard on all trims alloy wheels standard on all trims larger battery higher quality brake rotors

2012 CRV -- Good basic car.
By bruder

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My girlfriend bought a 2012 CRV LX 2WD last summer. I've been driving it recently so I decided to share my experience. The CRV is comfortable and easy to drive. The seats are supportive and very comfortable. The engine provides adequate power and the transmission shifts are smooth. The brakes work well and stops are confident. The CRV handles reasonably well but the steering is somewhat disconnected. For most people it's fine. Visibility out the front and sides are good but the rear window is very small and the visibility out the rear is terrible. Fortunately the back up camera is standard on all models. The sound system is good. We're getting 27-29 mpg in mixed rural driving.

Excellent fuel economy, very comfortable seats, standard bluetooth and USB audio/charging, plenty of space inside. The sliding center console is very convenient and provides extra storage on top of the console when closed.

The rear window is tiny severely limiting visibility out the back. The mechanical key can only open the drivers door (there is no externally accessible lock on the passenger door, or the hatch). To open the hatch you need to use the remote, or unlock the front door with the key and use the controls on the door (a disadvantage for me). I prefer the 60/40 folding seats in the opposite configuration, with the 60 on the passenger side (like Subaru). It's not easy to shift the automatic transmission manually. I live in a hilly area and would prefer and easy to use manual shift mode. The roof rails are an expensive option.

Do not purchase
By brendaf123

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Cruise control drops up to 8 mph going up a hill and gains that much going down. Dealer says the 15 mph speed variation is "normal and within guidelines". I have been driving with cruise controls since they were introduced and have never seen dramatic fluctuations like this even when the technology was new. It is too bad that Honda finds this acceptable. Side window fogs making it difficult or impossible to see side mirror. Defroster doesn't help. Seems to be a design flaw particularly in humid climates. Heater works great unfortunately I live in the south and the air conditioner is not adequate on hot days. We thought we were buying a car that we could keep for years. So disappointed.

Good gas mileage. Good exterior styling.

Redesign cruise control and issue recall. Redesign defroster so it will clear side window. It is dangerous to drive when unable to see driver's side mirror. Make effective air conditioner.

Very very bad experience with Honda CRV
By julieca

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Severe Break Issue!!! We got our Honda CRV this July and currently we drove 4000 miles mainly for commute. However two weeks ago, we heard the big and scary noise from our CRV while we were driving to our parents home where is the peaceful and clean residential area. The noise sounded from the break in the rare wheels. But from our eyes, we couldn't find anything stuck there to make the noise. We didn't dare to drive until my parents said that we have to drive it until the issue really appeared so that we could repair. Fortunately the terrible crash sound disappeared after we drove a few blocks. But the car break does have issue from then on. Once we step on the pedal, it has "KA" noise.

It's a 4 month new car. But unfortunately we got such trouble. Hope HONDA can improve your quality and make the customers feel safe to drive it on the road!!!!

First Honda
By jarsenal

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2009 Scion XB for the 2012 CRV a month ago. So far I'm loving the upgrade. Power is lacking but gas mileage is beyond what I expected in this vehicle. I'm averaging about 29mpg mixed City and Hwy. Nice to make it more then a week between fills. The ride is very smooth compared to my XB could be the "regular" tires vs the low profile tires on the XB. I can't get used to the back up camera and rarely look at it. I don't trust it lol.

I love the temperature gauge on the dash near the speedometer and most of the option on the information panel i.e. Radio/Mpg oh and the integrated blue tooth.

Better comfortable seats, they are a bit hard and lack back support. I'm not sure how they'd do in a long road trip.