Used 2012 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great Value
By William Wilson

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got what I paid for with my CRV, safe/reliable/efficient transportation, with great resale value. It's my third Honda, but after driving the new Mazda CX-5 recently I'm tempted to defect to Mazda.....

great vehicle until it's not
By mark weiss

2012 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 2012 CRV developed a very common widespread problem in Honda 4 cylinder engines, at about 49000 miles. A defective vtc actuator which causes a loud grinding noise at start. This is clearly something that should be covered by Honda's 5 year 60k power train warranty. Honda claims they having been researching how to repair it for four years without success. Meanwhile my vehicle is worthless in trade. just google crv makes noise at start

Saved My Life
By a nn

2012 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car was smashed by a truck and totalled. And I lived.

After 3.5 years, finally realized I like this car
By Michelle

2012 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had a Mazda CX-7 prior to this purchase and had SO many mechanical issues. They all seemed to happen right after I went over 60k, so they weren't covered by the warranty, go figure. I was anxiously waiting for the 2012 Honda CR-V to come out so I could get rid of it and say hello to reliability! I bought the CR-V in January 2012 and have just finally realized that I REALLY like it. Took me long enough! Coming from a turbo-charged engine, it was somewhat disappointing to drive at first. Very little pickup and I felt like I couldn't even get out of the way. Had to adjust driving style, but I just kept reminding myself that I no longer had to worry about it not starting or breaking down on the side of the road...trade-offs. I had Bose speakers in the CX-7, and the sound system was also less than par comparatively, although decent for what it is. The bluetooth was a nice new addition and the back-up camera is awesome. I had the battery issue everyone else seems to have, but it never completely died on me. It took a while to turn over a few times, which worried me because of the CX-7 fiasco, but it always started. We make periodic long drives so maybe the battery was able to get a good charge then? When I took it to the dealership for regular maintenance last winter, they told me I needed to replace the battery because the charge was really low. I didn't replace it b/c I thought they were just trying to upsell me something I didn't need. I mean really, who needs to replace the battery after only 2.5 years and 40k miles?! I wasn't aware of the battery issue 2012 CR-Vs were having at the time... At my last oil change they did a software update to fix the issue. I haven't had any problems, but then again, it's summer, I guess we'll what happens as it gets cold again. That brings me to the AWD...or rather, the RWD, since that's what it feels like. I haven't gotten stuck in the snow yet, hopefully never will, but when driving in the snow it feels like the rear-end wants to come around and it's a little scary having to compensate. And, DO NOT drive it in sand...we DID get stuck in sand, even after letting air out of the tires. We finally had to almost completely deflate them before we got traction and were able to get out. Overall, this is not an AWD vehicle, I tried. :) If you want that, I suggest buying something known for that, just be prepared for the gas mileage to adjust accordingly. The cargo space with the seats folded down is incredible. My family moved this past summer and I was able to do much of the small stuff on short trips. It fit so much stuff that I was more concerned about the weight limits than I was on the space available. Overall, this is perfect for what we need and the gas mileage is pretty good. On long trips we get 30-31 mpg and city I get about 24-25. Just what's advertised. I plan to keep it at least until our 10-year old starts driving...she can take it and then I will probably get something with real AWD capability and low gas mileage. :) Hope this review helps in the decision making!

Battery/air conditioner is problematic
By Carol

2012 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've already replaced my battery one at year two. The mechanic said something about my driving, idling, extra usage of phone charging. I've not changed my driving style in 40 years, and I've never had to replace a battery before 4-5 years. The air conditioner has gone out every year. They don't say it's a normal occurrence, but they don't admit that something may be wrong either. I've always been a Honda girl, but after this car...I will research other cars.

• SUV