2012 Honda CR-V 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

2012 CR-V Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
OK, but features not up to high price
By jenson23

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

A bit disappointed after reading so many stellar reviews. Lots of blind spots. Doors come up higher than my older cars (can't easily rest my arm on windowsill); probably for better safety, but that makes it very hard to see the 4 corners of the car, or see potholes by front passenger side, or see where the driveway edges are when I'm backing up. Also very disappointed at the lack of lights. No light in glove box! No lights anywhere on outside door or mirror. When I open the door on a dark street at night, other cars can't see that it's open! Very dangerous. Worst is getting in car at night and can't see button to quickly lock door, and have to feel / fumbling w/ key!

Favorite Features

Love all the little compartments to store items, and the big console bin with sliding cover. Leather seats are really nice; smooth but not cold & slippery like some (tho wish the power seats could tilt down more - front edge of seat too high & cuts off circulation at thighs.) Doors stay open just where you want them when in a parking lot (so you don't bump another parked car) and then close easily with a nice solid "thud"! Perky acceleration. Seat belts not too tight. Roomy for driver & passengers. Like the high-power front window defrost button, but wish you could do both front and side windows at the same time -have to keep switching between vent & defrost buttons.

Suggested Improvements

1. Need A/C vent in back seat. 2. Need grab bar between windshield & door on passenger side. Overhead one too high for some people. 3. Bring back double glove box & make it easier for driver to open. 4. Change shift handle from thumb to easier 4 finger "pull up" for people with arthritis/other issues. 5. Allow reg. headlights to stay ON when high beams on. 6. Add option to turn OFF daytime lights to save battery. 7. Need door locks & ignition brightly lit when entering car. Need lights on door panels & outer mirrors. 8. Add curve to bottom of backup mirrors so can see parking lines. 9. Shade visor TOO small. Plus need extra ones for side windows. 10. Hate radio & climate controls.

Don't buy a Honda CR-V
By dfdinnc

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The battery does not charge and Honda cannot fix the problem. We bought this car new because I wanted my wife to have reliable transportation. It has failed to start 8 times in 18 months. The dealer seems to have given up fixing it. I will pursue compensation under our state lemon law and someone should start a class action lawsuit against Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that charges the battery.

Great family car
By bandit911

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have made 2 long trips along with the normal day-to-day driving. This is a near perfect car for us. While there is only 2 of us, we many times have 5 people in the the car. Everyone is comfortable in this car. Rear view camera turns out to be a nice convenience. The big disappointment is the rear hatch. Once it is open it is very difficult to close. There is not an option for an electric closer. You must reach fairly high in the air to grab the open door and if you have any type of shoulder or arm problem (I do) then you can not close the hatch. A car like this should have an electric closer. This is a big oversight.

Favorite Features

Reliable, comfortable car. Can seat 5 or fold down the rear seats and pile in the cargo.

Suggested Improvements

The big disappointment is the rear hatch. Once it is open it is very difficult to close. There is not an option for an electric closer. You must reach fairly high in the air to grab the open door and if you have any type of shoulder or arm problem (I do) then you can not close the hatch. A strap hanging down from the rear hatch would be the minimum improvement but a car like this should have an electric closer. This is a big oversight on Honda’s part.

First Honda, now 6 mo. old
By janemy

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first Honda and I love it. I test drove a lot of cars 6 months ago and narrowed it down to 2, the CRV and the equinox. I'd driven the Equinox on a long road trip so I knew well how it handled. I ended up with the Honda as it felt better sitting inside, more open. Also, I loved that it had more cargo room. After 6 mo. of driving I'm still extremely happy with the car. I have 15,000 mi on it so far, and no issues. I drive both city, highway and mountains. I average between 28 - 31 mpg driving about 70 mph. Less if I'm doing street driving only (22 - 24). My 6'2" husband can sit and drive comfortably.

Favorite Features

Rear camera, Satelitte radio, sit high, hands free sounds good, good gas milage. fairly quiet, cargo room

Suggested Improvements

Front coffee cup holds placed hire, not near the car seat heater buttons Always hot accessory adapter. My old Malibue had one and I miss it. Automatic rear hatch lifter. Can unlock but it doesn't autolift.

Good but not great
By jax19

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a 2012 CRV-EX L and have been driving it for about 3 weeks. So far, I like it but have found a few things that could use improvement. I test drove several SUV's such as the Chev Equinox, Mazda CX5, and the Nissan Rogue. All were good, but I really liked the Honda engine and the ride. I needed a vehicle where I could put two bikes inside (don't like bike racks), and with the back seats down, it's a very easy fit. I expect to get several years of good performnace from this Honda.

Favorite Features

Love the 3 month free subscription to XM radio!! Never had it before, and I think I'm addicted. I like the USB port where an mp3 player can be used, but I do miss my 6 disc CD player in my last vehicle. Steering wheel radio controls are very convenient and easy to use. I've been averaging about 28-29 mpg between a combination of 70%highway and 30% city driving.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are wide and somewhat flat and do not provide good support like some other vehicles. After a couple of hours of driving, it gets a bit uncomfortable. It has a very large console that you could put a cooler of beer in, but it needs much more organization..now it's just a toy box where I have to search through a pile of stuff for a pen, id card, etc. Cup holders are located above the seat warming switches and power outlet...don't spill the coffee!!

Perfect Family Car
By chapelthrill23

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the CRV because I needed a family car and it has not disappointed. It is smooth, quiet, handles like a car, is spacious, and is fuel efficient. A lot of what makes it wonderful cannot be found on a spec sheet. I cross shopped more expensive cars (TSX Wagon, XC70, etc) but the packaging is what made me buy a CRV. The interior design is fantastic. I'm not sure how they were able to build a small car with such a huge amount of space. It also has many details that make it work for families. The huge center console is wonderful, the conversation mirror/sun glass holder is useful, the easy fold seats are handy, the big buttons are nice, and I love that the rear floor is flat.

Favorite Features

Excellent passenger and cargo room. One touch folding seats. Lots of little spots for interior storage. Smooth ride. Quiet. Excellent MPG (i'm often over 30 mpg). Backup camera. Handles like a car. Price.

Suggested Improvements

I guess it could have more power but it easily keeps up with traffic and the engine is smooth. Some wanted a new power train but there is something to say for tried and true and Honda makes a smooth and bullet proof 2.4 I4/5 speed combination. It should last for years. Some of the interior surfaces could be better but the ones that you do actually come in physical contact with are good and the others look nicer than they are.

CR-V getting better with age
By karsrus

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We traded our 2007 Honda CR-V EX-L in for a new 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L after doing due diligence and exploring all the other new models. Like many others looking for a high content, high value CUV, It's really difficult to beat the combination that the CR-V offers. With 1,400+ miles on ours now, the gas mileage has averaged 31mpg both highway & city. We've seen as high as 38mpg. The 4cyl does fine, and living in TN we have a good mix of hills and valleys with no issues passing on the freeway. Both front & back seat space is really good, and we continue to marvel at how spacious it is on the inside compared to small footprint on the outside. Fit and finish are very good.

Favorite Features

Overall comfort is improved over our last model especially the front seats. Gas mileage is very good. Upgraded electronics are a big improvement. seat heaters, dual zone AC, and sunroof are great. The Reliability, Utility, and high re-sale value. (Honda Trademarks) are all in place.

Suggested Improvements

A bit quieter than our last one, but not as much as we hoped for. Honda needs to focus on the road noise issue. We miss the shelf in the back like our last one especially for carrying groceries, and for traveling. Miss the sliding seats, however the new easy folding seat handles make up for it somewhat.

What an outstanding automobile!! John of Columbus, NC.
By jaacolumbusnc

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

On 31 January 2012, I purchased a 2012 Honda CR-V 2WD EX-L and traded in a 2011 Hyundai Genesis after a year of ownership. I was able to purchase the CR-V for $26,761 not including taxes, tags and admin. fee. That price included body side molding, splash guards and rear cargo tray. It is a fantastic vehicle right from the first drive home from the selling dealer.

Favorite Features

Contrary to some owner opinions, I think the gas mileage is better then I expected. I am getting 25.2 mpg in local driving. In highway driving coupled with local, I am averaging 27-28 mpg. No complaints from me there. The exterior design is truly eye-catching. The Alabaster Silver Met paint and Gray leather interior is a great combination. Seating is very comfortable. XM radio is my favorite choice all the time. The engine is adequate power and truly quiet. The transmission is very smooth. Both my wife and I like the seating which allows a clear view of the road ahead. The back-up camera system is a great assist in backing safely. In summary, what is there not to like about this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

There is not one improvement I could even suggest for the 2012 Honda CR-V 2WD EX-L.

Nice but poor MPG
By randluke

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought a new 2012 2WD CRV EXL. The handling and Interior design aspects of the CRV are nice. But for a model that is touting its fuel efficiency it does not deliver. I am getting 16 mpg in the city. Not at all what I expected.

Favorite Features

Dash layout and interior design. The space in the back is good as well.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy. The mpg I am getting is 16 mpg. The dealership has told me the engine needs to break in and then the mileage will incease. That has not been the case for any othe new car I have had. My 2011 Camry was getting 28 - 30 mpg fom the start. I've had it fo about a year and it still gets about 30 mpg. The Camry is a 4 cylinder like the CRV and using the current winterblend fuel.

Redesigned CR-V
By jjohnw

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Examined, drove, negotiated, and bought a 2012 CR-V EX-L in White Pearl. We've been driving BMWs - X3 & 325Xi Wagon - but Mom's 2002 CR-V soldiers on with nothing but a new battery & tires along with routine maintenance over 10 years. It's still a great vehicle, right size, and enjoyable to drive. Our opinion is the new 2012 CR-V at $29k drive out instead of a X3 at $46k drive out is just as enjoyable and dare I say - a better driver as it doesn't pogo/bounce over rough roads as does the X3. Sure the CR-V won't win any drag races but 31 mpg highway is much more relevant.

Favorite Features

Size, Styling, & Utility

Suggested Improvements

Honda, don't go to a V6 instead turbocharge the 4-banger! The 2012 BMW 3 & 5-series have dropped their 6-cylinder for a turbo 4-cylinder for both better mpg & power. If it's good enough for BMW it's good enough for Honda - Honda can do a turbo 4 as well as can BMW.