Used 2012 Honda CR-V EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Where is the legroom?
By kidpolska

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I like all of the features of my CR-V, but does anyone else have a problem with the driver's side legroom? I am 6'2" and have NEVER had a problem with legroom before; I can't drive this car for more than 2 hours without severe cramps.

Excellent Choice
By jerebea

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We are very pleased with our purchase. The CR-V is comfortable with sufficient room in the driver and front passenger area to not feel confined. Instrumentation is easy to read and controls are functional and easy to use. Rear cargo area is very sufficient for our needs handling a medium size dog crate with ease. Rear seating area is comfortable and very adequate for two good sized adults. We are presently getting 29.5 MPG is mixed driving. Style and quality of build is excellent.

Favorite Features

We enjoy driving this vehicle with good visability, handling and very adequate power. The easy "one touch" lowering of the rear seats is very handy for grocery bags and coolers. We are impressed with the easy lifting and lowering of the rear tailgate. An additional comment on the power, our most recent vehicle was powered by a 5.7 "Hemi" while not a "Hemi" the passing and cruising power of the CR-V is very adequate. Also, nice to realize nearly 30MPG with regular octane gas.

Suggested Improvements

We purchased the EX model and are happy that we didn't get the LX. The additional $1,000-$1,500 is worth it. The Ex is very well equipped, we do think Honda should upgrade this model with a driver's power seat. Also, we agree with many other reviewers that the driver's side outside rear view mirror is dysfunctional with it's partial "extended view" glass. I would option for a regular full size mirror (if you focus on the 3/4 normal vision, you'll be fine).

Where's the "SU" in SUV Crossover?
By ksonnenberg

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It is a nice vehicle in that it drives & handles well, comfortable interior & some nice luxury features. However, Honda removed much the "Sport Utility" and now looks and feels more like a Hatchback/Minivan Crossover. We needed to replace our '02 CRV but we suppose got spoiled by it. The '02 w/ the tire on the back door left extra room in the spare tire compartment to store emergency supplies like blankets and tire pump, but not anymore. I miss the table that was a feature of the '02 trunk base handy for camping & picnics. The new CRV has 2" less of ground clearance & no longer lets you pop open the hatch window which was great for access to our dogs or supplies w/o open whole hatch.

Favorite Features

We like the comfort, handles and drives well, and improved fuel economy. Nice features like back seat mirror for kids and dogs. Also like the back up camera and eco assist. Nice vehicle for road trips and around the town with kids (basically what minivan are good for w/o technically being a minivan).

Suggested Improvements

Return the ground clearance to at least what it was of 8.1" or greater. Storage compartment for emergency supplies. Return the option to allow the hatch window to open. The fold open table was clever nice feature that would be nice to see comeback. While we're at it a panoramic moonroof would be nice :). An SUV crossover that has the comfort, fuel economy and drive of a Honda but the sport utility of the Subaru Forester would be perfect.

Fantastic Gas Mileage!
By lizzylou

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in my '07 Civic coupe on a White Diamond Pearl CR-V EX. I love this SUV! Can be a little sluggish with Econ mode on but saves a lot on gas and it's peppy and fun to drive with the Econ mode off. I love that the CR-V handles so well. It handles almost as good as my beloved Civic did, excellent turning radius makes it easy to park. The cabin is quiet but still hear some road noise and has minimal body roll around corners and good stability. Getting a solid 30 mpg on the highway which is my main driving ~66 miles round trip per day at around 70 mph. Has 1,500 miles on it now. I've had several people tell me it's a beautiful vehicle! No other SUV compares in features for the price.

Favorite Features

Love the backup camera, hands free blue tooth, Econ button, one touch folding rear seats, minimal blind spots, nice information center in center of console, sunglass holder, comfortable seats with soft fabric, nice tires and rims, tires are filled with nitro, excellent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The emergency brake is positioned low and kind of sticks out and sometimes I hit my shin on it while getting in and out of the vehicle. The drive by wire steering takes some getting used to as it is designed to help guide the vehicle on the road but takes some of the "feel of the road handling" out of the drivers hands.

Honda got this one right
By jhonda82

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This one softens the blow a bit for all those who just need a bigger family friendly car. I've been a sedan guy all my life but it was time to get something with some more cargo space and good on gas for those long road trips. My wife and I spent months researching both new and used vehicles in the crossover segment. Ultimately the redesigned 2012 CR-V is IMO a huge step forward over previous model years. It was certainly worth the extra few bucks to get the 2012. Many new features are now standard. My smart phone integration is flawless. Album art from Pandora/Ipod shows on display. Bluetooth quality is good too if you dont want to use the USB cable.

Favorite Features

First, the seats are much improved over the 2011. I nearly bought the RAV4 because the Honda seats stunk, but thankfully they listened to buyer feedback and fixed their seat problems for 2012. The center color information display is extremely useful. You can customize settings such as the locks behavior, see fuel efficiency, etc. The backup camera function is more useful than I ever imagined. The car handles extremely well. I'm used to driving a turbo, this obviously isn't as fast and lacks the low end torque but I was surprised by how lively the acceleration if you give it a little gas The road noise has been cut down alot. I can hardly hear the engine running. Driving is ultra smooth

Suggested Improvements

The Honda delivers everything a car in its class should, and more. If I had to pick something I would say the stock stereo is somewhat under powered, but it's not like I expect the our family car's stereo to blow anyone away. The dash materials appear to have been cheapened somewhat, don't know if this was done to save money or make the car lighter. We're getting close to 30mpg so I really can't complain about much.