Used 2012 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Honda Denying Electrical Problem
By Enrico T Bruschi

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Despite overwhelming evidence of an electrical system issue causing the cars battery to die a slow death between two and three years, including a recall to address the software causing the problem, Honda will not do the right thing and replace the battery that their design destroyed. I have never had to replace a battery in a new car at 33 months. I am finding this is Honda's typical approach to problems - denial until forced otherwise by the government. Ridiculous. This was my very first Honda, and possibly my last. It's not that I hate the car, but I definitely did not observe the reliability I had heard about do much.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling and size.

Suggested Improvements

Own up to technical problems and stop sticking it to customers that bought your vehicle. Be more accurate with expected gas mileage. Consider making it a six speed.

Thoroughly Dissappointed
By wh_labrador

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle for my Wife to replace a 2005 Chevy Equinox. We live in a very cold climate and since the Equinox had failed to start a few times, I thought I'd get her the "Best of the Best" to replace it. It's now on it's third battery, the steering wheel locks up so that you have to fight to get the key to turn, the electric power steering fails at cold temperatures and last week, it blew the oil pressure sensor out of it when it was being warmed up. All the oil pumped out and now the engine is ruined. My F150 starts fine as does the Neighbor's new Chevy Equinox. It may be okay in Florida but it fails miserably here. I will say though, that their roadside assistance is great.

Favorite Features

Liked the style but might not be a good time to do any rating.

Suggested Improvements

Make it reliable.

OK, but features not up to high price
By jenson23

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

A bit disappointed after reading so many stellar reviews. Lots of blind spots. Doors come up higher than my older cars (can't easily rest my arm on windowsill); probably for better safety, but that makes it very hard to see the 4 corners of the car, or see potholes by front passenger side, or see where the driveway edges are when I'm backing up. Also very disappointed at the lack of lights. No light in glove box! No lights anywhere on outside door or mirror. When I open the door on a dark street at night, other cars can't see that it's open! Very dangerous. Worst is getting in car at night and can't see button to quickly lock door, and have to feel / fumbling w/ key!

Favorite Features

Love all the little compartments to store items, and the big console bin with sliding cover. Leather seats are really nice; smooth but not cold & slippery like some (tho wish the power seats could tilt down more - front edge of seat too high & cuts off circulation at thighs.) Doors stay open just where you want them when in a parking lot (so you don't bump another parked car) and then close easily with a nice solid "thud"! Perky acceleration. Seat belts not too tight. Roomy for driver & passengers. Like the high-power front window defrost button, but wish you could do both front and side windows at the same time -have to keep switching between vent & defrost buttons.

Suggested Improvements

1. Need A/C vent in back seat. 2. Need grab bar between windshield & door on passenger side. Overhead one too high for some people. 3. Bring back double glove box & make it easier for driver to open. 4. Change shift handle from thumb to easier 4 finger "pull up" for people with arthritis/other issues. 5. Allow reg. headlights to stay ON when high beams on. 6. Add option to turn OFF daytime lights to save battery. 7. Need door locks & ignition brightly lit when entering car. Need lights on door panels & outer mirrors. 8. Add curve to bottom of backup mirrors so can see parking lines. 9. Shade visor TOO small. Plus need extra ones for side windows. 10. Hate radio & climate controls.

Good value for the price
By atobz

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am halfway through my 2012 CR-V LX AWD lease; my commute is ~7m RT and I rarely travel long distance for work. I live in hilly NE where AWD is a must for us. As this is the primary commuter car (second car is an around-town minivan) I wanted the safety and all-purpose features of an SUV with the mileage and comfort of a sedan. On the whole I am impressed given what I see is a lack of strong competitors in this price range. As a former Honda/Subaru/Saab owner, I preferred the build of Honda over Kia and Hyundai, find the fit/finish/layout of the RAV-4 (and most Toyotas in general) a bit wonky, don't trust the reliability or build quality of Ford quite yet, and don't have the $ for an MDX.

Favorite Features

AWD; size; RV camera; Bluetooth/phone connectivity; split rear seat; instrument cluster; storage; awesome reliability; good fuel economy for a small SUV; fit and finish is very good but not perfect.

Suggested Improvements

My #1 caution to prospective buyers, regardless of trim level, is the extremely (almost shockingly) limited visibility. Merging or changing lanes requires you to crane your neck almost to the extent as if you were backing up - hence the reason the RV camera was an essential standard feature given how the CR-Vs seem to decrease in visibility each generation, according to other reviews. My fault, but I highly recommend moving up to the EX-L. The front seat of the LX had extremely limited adjustability and I really miss the leather interior in the Outback. Also, moving up to the EL-L gets you dual zone climate control, heated seats, and fog-lights, things I took for granted in the Subaru.

Don't buy a Honda CR-V
By dfdinnc

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The battery does not charge and Honda cannot fix the problem. We bought this car new because I wanted my wife to have reliable transportation. It has failed to start 8 times in 18 months. The dealer seems to have given up fixing it. I will pursue compensation under our state lemon law and someone should start a class action lawsuit against Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that charges the battery.