2012 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2012 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Honda Denying Electrical Problem
By Enrico T Bruschi

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Despite overwhelming evidence of an electrical system issue causing the cars battery to die a slow death between two and three years, including a recall to address the software causing the problem, Honda will not do the right thing and replace the battery that their design destroyed. I have never had to replace a battery in a new car at 33 months. I am finding this is Honda's typical approach to problems - denial until forced otherwise by the government. Ridiculous. This was my very first Honda, and possibly my last. It's not that I hate the car, but I definitely did not observe the reliability I had heard about do much.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling and size.

Suggested Improvements

Own up to technical problems and stop sticking it to customers that bought your vehicle. Be more accurate with expected gas mileage. Consider making it a six speed.

Thoroughly Dissappointed
By wh_labrador

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle for my Wife to replace a 2005 Chevy Equinox. We live in a very cold climate and since the Equinox had failed to start a few times, I thought I'd get her the "Best of the Best" to replace it. It's now on it's third battery, the steering wheel locks up so that you have to fight to get the key to turn, the electric power steering fails at cold temperatures and last week, it blew the oil pressure sensor out of it when it was being warmed up. All the oil pumped out and now the engine is ruined. My F150 starts fine as does the Neighbor's new Chevy Equinox. It may be okay in Florida but it fails miserably here. I will say though, that their roadside assistance is great.

Favorite Features

Liked the style but might not be a good time to do any rating.

Suggested Improvements

Make it reliable.

OK, but features not up to high price
By jenson23

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

A bit disappointed after reading so many stellar reviews. Lots of blind spots. Doors come up higher than my older cars (can't easily rest my arm on windowsill); probably for better safety, but that makes it very hard to see the 4 corners of the car, or see potholes by front passenger side, or see where the driveway edges are when I'm backing up. Also very disappointed at the lack of lights. No light in glove box! No lights anywhere on outside door or mirror. When I open the door on a dark street at night, other cars can't see that it's open! Very dangerous. Worst is getting in car at night and can't see button to quickly lock door, and have to feel / fumbling w/ key!

Favorite Features

Love all the little compartments to store items, and the big console bin with sliding cover. Leather seats are really nice; smooth but not cold & slippery like some (tho wish the power seats could tilt down more - front edge of seat too high & cuts off circulation at thighs.) Doors stay open just where you want them when in a parking lot (so you don't bump another parked car) and then close easily with a nice solid "thud"! Perky acceleration. Seat belts not too tight. Roomy for driver & passengers. Like the high-power front window defrost button, but wish you could do both front and side windows at the same time -have to keep switching between vent & defrost buttons.

Suggested Improvements

1. Need A/C vent in back seat. 2. Need grab bar between windshield & door on passenger side. Overhead one too high for some people. 3. Bring back double glove box & make it easier for driver to open. 4. Change shift handle from thumb to easier 4 finger "pull up" for people with arthritis/other issues. 5. Allow reg. headlights to stay ON when high beams on. 6. Add option to turn OFF daytime lights to save battery. 7. Need door locks & ignition brightly lit when entering car. Need lights on door panels & outer mirrors. 8. Add curve to bottom of backup mirrors so can see parking lines. 9. Shade visor TOO small. Plus need extra ones for side windows. 10. Hate radio & climate controls.

Good value for the price
By atobz

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am halfway through my 2012 CR-V LX AWD lease; my commute is ~7m RT and I rarely travel long distance for work. I live in hilly NE where AWD is a must for us. As this is the primary commuter car (second car is an around-town minivan) I wanted the safety and all-purpose features of an SUV with the mileage and comfort of a sedan. On the whole I am impressed given what I see is a lack of strong competitors in this price range. As a former Honda/Subaru/Saab owner, I preferred the build of Honda over Kia and Hyundai, find the fit/finish/layout of the RAV-4 (and most Toyotas in general) a bit wonky, don't trust the reliability or build quality of Ford quite yet, and don't have the $ for an MDX.

Favorite Features

AWD; size; RV camera; Bluetooth/phone connectivity; split rear seat; instrument cluster; storage; awesome reliability; good fuel economy for a small SUV; fit and finish is very good but not perfect.

Suggested Improvements

My #1 caution to prospective buyers, regardless of trim level, is the extremely (almost shockingly) limited visibility. Merging or changing lanes requires you to crane your neck almost to the extent as if you were backing up - hence the reason the RV camera was an essential standard feature given how the CR-Vs seem to decrease in visibility each generation, according to other reviews. My fault, but I highly recommend moving up to the EX-L. The front seat of the LX had extremely limited adjustability and I really miss the leather interior in the Outback. Also, moving up to the EL-L gets you dual zone climate control, heated seats, and fog-lights, things I took for granted in the Subaru.

Don't buy a Honda CR-V
By dfdinnc

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The battery does not charge and Honda cannot fix the problem. We bought this car new because I wanted my wife to have reliable transportation. It has failed to start 8 times in 18 months. The dealer seems to have given up fixing it. I will pursue compensation under our state lemon law and someone should start a class action lawsuit against Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that charges the battery.

Battery and AWD issues
By sdhanson

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have two cars - a RAV4 and a CRV. Pretty much identical vehicles except - The AWD handles like rear wheel drive when driving in snow. The rear end wants to come around when cornering on snowy roads. The RAV doesn't do this. I much prefer the RAV when driving on snow. The battery goes dead about twice a month. I had the battery and alternator checked by the dealer and was told everything is "OK." The alternator does not charge at idle and if all your trips are short your battery will go dead. Carry a battery pack and put it on a trickle charger once a month. This is a HUGE shortcoming to me! PS I live in a very cold region where we can go months below 32 degrees.

Favorite Features

This is a Honda. It is well made. Everything is tight and works as designed.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the battery system so it doesn't go dead all the time in cold weather. Upgrade the heater so it can heat the car.

First and Last Honda
By milkshake

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a loved but worn out 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Drove a 2012 Kia Sorrento, a 2012 Chevy Equinox, and a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (which was really my 1st choice) in addition to this. Settled on this because of the price and because it had the most space of any of those cars. This was my first-ever brand new car purchase. I've never loved this car, and I was never truly excited about it, but I've come to totally hate it due to how uncomfortable it is. You feel every bump, pebble, and crack in the road. My dad has been a truck driver for 40 years and has complained about how uncomfortable it is. Owned less than 2 yrs, looking to trade or push off a cliff soon. Mistake.

Favorite Features

The backup camera is great, and I love the variable angles on it; the straight-down view is fantastic for parallel parking. Gas mileage is great; the worst I've ever gotten on it is 24 mpg, but I've also gotten up to as high as 32 mpg on the interstate. The space in the back is amazing: I've been able to get a wheel barrow in and a treadmill, neither of which would ever have been able to fit in the Tiguan. Backseat leg room is ample. The fact that you can pull a handle and get the back seats to completely lay down has been my absolute favorite thing about the car: completely effortless.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth phone is a pathetic joke; you can hear the caller but have to scream to be heard. Power outlet in the center console is a major failure. At least front passenger's window should be auto up/down, if not all 4 windows. Gas lever is in a horrible location. Ride is horribly rough. Front seats are miserable: all-manual adjustments; the bottom part of the seat tilts down, putting constant pressure on the hips and tailbone. Lumbar support is non-existent. Worse yet, the sides of the seat curve up around your legs, "hugging" you. Seats have got to be hard plastic with the cheapest foam material ever. Back glass should lay flat instead of curving; is horrible for accurate depth-perception.

Great Small SUV
By spin24

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased June 2012. Driven over 10,000 miles. Fun to drive, comfortable, safe, reliable, with good gas mileage and lots of storage room for tools and spare parts.. I use it for personal transportation and as a work vehicle for real estate maintenance. Back up camera and maintenance minder are nice features. Replaced weak OEM headlight bulbs with X-treme power Phillips bulbs and @ 10,200 miles replaced surface cracked rear brake rotors with new , manufactured in Italy, brake rotors and new brake pads.

Favorite Features

powerful engine great air conditioning back up camera maintenance minder lots of room in rear with seats down great gas mileage short hood and engine compartment wide doors tilt steering wheel all instrumentation visible smooth transmission

Suggested Improvements

brighter headlights roof rails and crossbars standard on all trims alloy wheels standard on all trims larger battery higher quality brake rotors

Bad electrical system.
By shinhoo

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car has had a lot of issues with recurrent dead batteries. Strange since the car otherwise works fine, but having to jump start car every 2-3 weeks. Found out that there was a software glitch that affected the way the car was charging the battery, required an update under Honda service bulletin 12-041, this has apparently been a common issue. However, even since the update, have had to jump start 3 times. Have taken to 2 different Honda dealers, they have no idea what to do. They are telling me to drive with the radio, lights, fan, etc. all off. Quite absurd.

Favorite Features

Stylish on the inside, and practical.

Suggested Improvements

This car is quickly becoming a big paperweight.

Noisiest car I have ever owned
By heli_driver

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased brand new (14 Months ago) with every option Honda offers. This vehicle is the noisiest car I have ever owned. My Honda convertible S2000 was quieter than this CRV. Road/tire noise, wind noise, engine noise and even noise from passing vehicles are not attenuated. Being mostly mid to higher frequency noise, this gives us both a headache. I question if Honda forgot the soundproofing in my car. The Head Lights are very weak & easy to over drive. At Hwy speeds the steering input is far too sensitive, making it squirrelly and dangerous feeling. Even as a commercial helicopter pilot, the Navigation/stereo is not easy to use and key features do not work with the iPhone.

Favorite Features

Looks great. I have achieved 36 mpg using the cruise control. Like the rear compartment access & how the seats auto fold down. Great interior color combo Mocha/Tan/black Great back up camera Good visibility and wipers Not easy to use, but the trip/fuel mpg computer info works great.

Suggested Improvements

Sound attenuation Sound attenuation Sound attenuation Variabel assit steering or lower the input ratio. Improve headlight projection.