2012 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Good value for the price
By atobz on 07/12/14 08:21 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am halfway through my 2012 CR-V LX AWD lease; my commute is ~7m RT and I rarely travel long distance for work. I live in hilly NE where AWD is a must for us. As this is the primary commuter car (second car is an around-town minivan) I wanted the safety and all-purpose features of an SUV with the mileage and comfort of a sedan. On the whole I am impressed given what I see is a lack of strong competitors in this price range. As a former Honda/Subaru/Saab owner, I preferred the build of Honda over Kia and Hyundai, find the fit/finish/layout of the RAV-4 (and most Toyotas in general) a bit wonky, don't trust the reliability or build quality of Ford quite yet, and don't have the $ for an MDX.

Don't buy a Honda CR-V
By dfdinnc on 03/26/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The battery does not charge and Honda cannot fix the problem. We bought this car new because I wanted my wife to have reliable transportation. It has failed to start 8 times in 18 months. The dealer seems to have given up fixing it. I will pursue compensation under our state lemon law and someone should start a class action lawsuit against Honda.

Battery and AWD issues
By sdhanson on 01/01/14 22:23 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have two cars - a RAV4 and a CRV. Pretty much identical vehicles except - The AWD handles like rear wheel drive when driving in snow. The rear end wants to come around when cornering on snowy roads. The RAV doesn't do this. I much prefer the RAV when driving on snow. The battery goes dead about twice a month. I had the battery and alternator checked by the dealer and was told everything is "OK." The alternator does not charge at idle and if all your trips are short your battery will go dead. Carry a battery pack and put it on a trickle charger once a month. This is a HUGE shortcoming to me! PS I live in a very cold region where we can go months below 32 degrees.

First and Last Honda
By milkshake on 11/29/13 18:03 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a loved but worn out 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Drove a 2012 Kia Sorrento, a 2012 Chevy Equinox, and a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (which was really my 1st choice) in addition to this. Settled on this because of the price and because it had the most space of any of those cars. This was my first-ever brand new car purchase. I've never loved this car, and I was never truly excited about it, but I've come to totally hate it due to how uncomfortable it is. You feel every bump, pebble, and crack in the road. My dad has been a truck driver for 40 years and has complained about how uncomfortable it is. Owned less than 2 yrs, looking to trade or push off a cliff soon. Mistake.

Great Small SUV
By spin24 on 11/27/13 23:34 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased June 2012. Driven over 10,000 miles. Fun to drive, comfortable, safe, reliable, with good gas mileage and lots of storage room for tools and spare parts.. I use it for personal transportation and as a work vehicle for real estate maintenance. Back up camera and maintenance minder are nice features. Replaced weak OEM headlight bulbs with X-treme power Phillips bulbs and @ 10,200 miles replaced surface cracked rear brake rotors with new , manufactured in Italy, brake rotors and new brake pads.

Bad electrical system.
By shinhoo on 11/07/13 16:37 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car has had a lot of issues with recurrent dead batteries. Strange since the car otherwise works fine, but having to jump start car every 2-3 weeks. Found out that there was a software glitch that affected the way the car was charging the battery, required an update under Honda service bulletin 12-041, this has apparently been a common issue. However, even since the update, have had to jump start 3 times. Have taken to 2 different Honda dealers, they have no idea what to do. They are telling me to drive with the radio, lights, fan, etc. all off. Quite absurd.

Noisiest car I have ever owned
By heli_driver on 08/08/13 16:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased brand new (14 Months ago) with every option Honda offers. This vehicle is the noisiest car I have ever owned. My Honda convertible S2000 was quieter than this CRV. Road/tire noise, wind noise, engine noise and even noise from passing vehicles are not attenuated. Being mostly mid to higher frequency noise, this gives us both a headache. I question if Honda forgot the soundproofing in my car. The Head Lights are very weak & easy to over drive. At Hwy speeds the steering input is far too sensitive, making it squirrelly and dangerous feeling. Even as a commercial helicopter pilot, the Navigation/stereo is not easy to use and key features do not work with the iPhone.

Mostly love it but there's an issue with the battery
By jefferson2014 on 08/02/13 23:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 3rd CRV so I'm sold on Honda and I mostly love this one. However, there was an issue with the battery - had the car seven months when the battery died. Very strange but it was the middle of winter where we had a string of below zero days. Replaced it and went along until 6 months after that when the battery died again. Triple A could not even jump it so had it slow charged and then took it to the dealer. There is a battery drain issue with these models (Honda Service Bulletin 12-041). Dealer upgraded software and so far so good.

Close to perfect!!
By quintus1 on 05/27/13 13:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We absolutely love this car. I bought the touring edition and had the sport mats and a tow package installed on it. Went with black on black leather and I am SO glad I bought this car over the many many others I tried out. After test driving all of the other SUV's in it's class, this car is absolutely the best choice. It looks really cool and serves it's function as being a family/dog carting/get me to work/hauling vehicle. The fold down seats and the handling were what sold me. Once you take it out of eco mode it actually has some fairly good power. Great job Honda!!

Where is the legroom?
By kidpolska on 05/24/13 07:16 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I like all of the features of my CR-V, but does anyone else have a problem with the driver's side legroom? I am 6'2" and have NEVER had a problem with legroom before; I can't drive this car for more than 2 hours without severe cramps.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda CR-V in VA is:

$114 per month*