Do NOT buy! Poor design, not worth the money
By purdue_flunkie on
2011 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
Car has serious engine problems. Idle is very rough and you can feel vibrations transferring to the steering wheel. Problem occurs when the engine is fully warmed up and idle drops to 700 rpm. There is an unstable operating point which causes engine to resonate. I tested 3 different vehicles and all of them have this issue. This is clearly a design flaw and Honda refuses to acknowledge existence of the problem. Every time you stop at the light, you can feel vibrations like you sitting in an old American car.
Favorite Features
Steering wheel controls are convenient and easy to use. Shifter location is nice. Good sound quality even on basic models. With optional wood trim, interior looks very upscale
Suggested Improvements
Honda, if you would fix the engine problem with rough idle, I would be probably still driving one today. Also CR-V is not stable on the highway, steering feels loose, and the car gets bounced around like a tiny civic. Forget about highway when its windy or rainy. Basic trim levels lack very basic and cheap functions such as outside temperature sensor, adjustable intermittent vipers, auto on/off headlights and center console storage. Breaking performance is also not impressive, stopping distance greater than most competition.
By whkg
on 12/19/10 11:28 AM (PST)

First do you own a 2011 CRV? Just test drive three different cars is not a fair comment. I believe most car when idle the RPM is around 700 so it is common behavior. I do not think that is a design problem and it is not a unstable operation point. When you make a review comment, please make sure you are the owner not just base on test drive some of the cars from the dealer

By jlemoine
on 12/21/10 04:51 AM (PST)

WOW! My findings couldn't be any farther than yours!! Test drove 3 different CRV's and ended up purchasing a 2011 CRV EX yesterday and never noticed anything you claim is common in the CRV. SO how long have you been selling cars for a Honda competitor? That certainly would explain your comments!

By patryk221
on 12/28/10 13:42 PM (PST)

I totally agree with the Review Im a owner of a 2008 CRV EX-L and it does what it described above, vibrate at idle.. :( been to Honda 100 times they say its normal, in my view its not...more of a bad design if u ask me, if u google honda crv idle vibration theres 100ds of people with the same issue its a great car dont get me wrong but it does vibrate during idle and u can feel it in the steering wheel (Note this happens when you are in Gear)

By tnsrvfan1
on 02/23/11 14:34 PM (PST)

I just purchased a 2011 CRV EX-L and have NO problems with a rough idle. But I was going from a Civic SI 6 sp manual transmission that has a rough sportscar ride and was extremely noisey as my niece told me on a trip to FLA last summer.

By sshirlen
on 01/05/11 19:34 PM (PST)

I had narrowed my choice for a new SUV to the CRV and the Hyundai Santa Fe. My husband had driven both cars and liked them both. I was going to trust his judgment and get the CRV because we were going to get a wonderful deal on it and it was a Honda product. Right before we signed the papers, the saleslady told me that I should drive it to make sure I liked it, too. I took her advice. I thought the rough idle was because of the cold weather, but after driving it for 10 minutes the vibration from the steering wheel made my arms tingly and weird. I thought maybe the wheels were out of alignment on this particular car, so I drove another one and it had the exact same problem. To make a long (sad) story short, I test drove the Santa Fe--no vibrations, less engine noise, couldn't even feel the idle. We are buying it at the end of this week. I loved the CRV's interior and visibility out of the windows. Maybe the problem is that it is a 4 cylinder and the Santa Fe I'm buying is a 6??? I loved the choices of colors too. Oh well. I learned a valuable lesson that it is crucial to do a test drive.

By kgreen33
on 02/26/11 17:18 PM (PST)

I just bought the 2011 CRV yesterday and unfortunately I got one that has that idle vibration. It is so bad I feel numb over my entire body. I am going to take it back ASAP and see if I can find another one that does not have that vibration. It seems from the previous posts that it does not happen with all of the CRV vehicles. So I am going to hope that I can find one at the dealer that does not do it. It is so bad though that I will ask for a refund if I can not find one that does not vibrate :(

By mike789
on 09/13/11 18:25 PM (PDT)

DONT BUY A 2011 CRV!!!! Its not the dealers fault the CRV has a chassis vibration starting at 54 MPH and making it feel the car is falling apart! No is it the dealers fault the stering has a problem called "STEERING MEMORY" where it pulls to the side you last made a turn, i.e. if you turned right to get on the freeway the car will pull to the right. Honda said they know about the problem but there isnt a fix, imagine that!!! They are selling cars with safety problems!!! Cant wait until winter to see if I lose traction when it pulls in the ice and snow!!!!