CRV Tires are Junk
By newmanrn on
2011 Honda CR-V SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I purchased this CRV in May 2011, after 8,000 miles we got a vibration from the rear of the car. At 23,000 it was so bad I had to replace the tires with still half the tread left. When they pulled the rear tires, there were flat spots so big, the bounced up and down when they rolled them over to the tire changer machine. There was a 4" wide flat spot across the tires. It came with the Bridgestone Dueler HT470 tires. These tires are junk. Another item that disturbes me is the oil is constantly dirty. I started with using the oil life indicator for oil changes, but the oil was so black, I moved it up to 3,000 miles and it is still dirty. Even with the software update it is still bad.
Favorite Features
Gas Mileage is Great. I used to run 87 octane fuel until I discovered that if I run 93 octane the mileage jumped up 15-23%. I used to average 26mpg highway until I put 93 octane in now I average 30-32. City mileage is about the same. I have been driving 1,200 miles a week for my job and it saves me 10-18% on fuel costs using the higher octane. All told I get 70-90 more miles per tank. Overall I am happy with the car, it drives well, especially with the new tires.
Suggested Improvements
When I got the new tires, the alignment rack showed the right rear tire was toed in, which is what probably flat spotted the tires. The car has never hit any curbs so the alignment was probably off at the factory. I have never owned a new car that has such black oil. There is obviously something wrong with the rings here. Hope it doesn't show its ugly head before I am done paying for this car.