Used 2011 Honda CR-V SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

CRV Tires are Junk
By newmanrn

2011 Honda CR-V SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this CRV in May 2011, after 8,000 miles we got a vibration from the rear of the car. At 23,000 it was so bad I had to replace the tires with still half the tread left. When they pulled the rear tires, there were flat spots so big, the bounced up and down when they rolled them over to the tire changer machine. There was a 4" wide flat spot across the tires. It came with the Bridgestone Dueler HT470 tires. These tires are junk. Another item that disturbes me is the oil is constantly dirty. I started with using the oil life indicator for oil changes, but the oil was so black, I moved it up to 3,000 miles and it is still dirty. Even with the software update it is still bad.

Gas Mileage is Great. I used to run 87 octane fuel until I discovered that if I run 93 octane the mileage jumped up 15-23%. I used to average 26mpg highway until I put 93 octane in now I average 30-32. City mileage is about the same. I have been driving 1,200 miles a week for my job and it saves me 10-18% on fuel costs using the higher octane. All told I get 70-90 more miles per tank. Overall I am happy with the car, it drives well, especially with the new tires.

When I got the new tires, the alignment rack showed the right rear tire was toed in, which is what probably flat spotted the tires. The car has never hit any curbs so the alignment was probably off at the factory. I have never owned a new car that has such black oil. There is obviously something wrong with the rings here. Hope it doesn't show its ugly head before I am done paying for this car.

Great value for a entry level SUV!
By whchuang

2011 Honda CR-V SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have owned the CRV for about a year now and so far we are happy about it. It is NOT perfect and we still have some unresolved minor rattle sound coming from the front passenger side dash board, but again NO car is perfect, period. The car is the best selling SUV in USA, and on kbb enjoy the #7 slot for the best resale value award. Reliability history is great. With the money paid, I found that the interior design (especially the trip computer, etc.), provide excellent value. The 2012 model also improved the roof strength so I think safety wise it should be a all 5-stars vehicle. Build quality in general is good (can't compare to a Mercedes, but not bad either). We like it so far.

The trip computer (e.g. provide great info on engine oil life, which you don't even see it on a Mercedes), the roomy interior and trunk, and the sliding rear seat. For a SUV, the fuel economy is pretty good too. The ride is also the most comfortable one among the same class. And then the reliability legend of Honda

Minor rattle sound coming from dash board, road noise (in 2011, I heard that 2012 is much better now), add rear view camera as standard (again this is standard in 2012 now), better AWD system for snow driving, make the headrest and seat more comfortable for non-leather seats, and make the leather upholstery an option or make it cheaper to own (e.g. SE + leather upholstery, instead of only providing the leather upholstery option in EX-L trim)...

Honda CRV AWD 2011
By mazkaz

2011 Honda CR-V SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Researched for months, was concerned by reports of lack of power and excessive road noise. Test drove 3 CRVs; the 3rd was so quiet and fun to drive (shod with the much criticised Continental tires), both in town and on the highway. Remarkable, considering some negative reviews. No hesitation buying this CRV -- replaced my aging faithful V6 Odyssey minivan. Fuel economy of 25 mpg so far in mixed 70:30 town:highway driving, but I do have a light foot. Very pleased.

Pro's: Quiet, smooth ride on all but roughest surfaces (don't know why some report excessive road noise but I have heard it's due to rear end misalignment); fun to drive; feels solid and well built; transmission shifts smoothly; engine revs when needed but not intrusive; because the engine revs ~2,000 rpm @ 70 mph it's a comfortable highway cruiser; seats v comfortable and well supported; love the precision steering and firm but muted suspension. What's all the fuss about power? There is plenty of umph, be it in town or on the highway (I heard Honda had a TSB in December 2010 to reprogram the master computer which resolved the power/hesitancy previously reported -- seems to have worked!!

Would like a full size spare -- few makers supply this today; managed to squeeze a full size in the original well as described in the CRV owner's forum Manual shift should be available No real complaints, just "wants"

2011 CRV SE - 175 Miles - Power Steering Out
By faye7

2011 Honda CR-V SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I cannot describe my disappointment. At 175 miles, the Power Steering went out and car is at the dealer waiting for parts. It has other noises yet to be determined, excluding wind noise. I expect more from a new car and especially from Honda. This is unacceptable and a reflection of Honda's Quality Control Department. I had no problems with my 2003 CRV so I purchased another one solely for the reliability even though I liked another car better. It certainly has failed my reliability expectation. This 2011 CRV can not compare to the 2003 CRV build quality/reliability. Honda has issues and I have lost confidence. I seriously regret buying this 2011 CRV and wish I had kept my 2003 CRV.

Improve inspections by the Quality Control Department. Improve engineering quality and reliability.

Great car but LOW TECH!!!
By damjadi

2011 Honda CR-V SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Honda has some great lease deals (probably because of the low depreciation). The CRV has a car-like ride, tons of leg and head room and very comfortable seats. It is well designed and very flexible. It has an amazing turn radius and no major blindspots. The gas mileage is a little less desirable and the road noise is rather noticeable as is the idle. My biggest pet peeve is the lack of features standard in most other vehicles' base models. To get bluetooth and iPod connections you have to get the EX-L with navigation, meaning an extra $3000. We got the SE for the larger, safer tire package, but the dealer stressed the upgrade to a 6 CD disc changer. Is this 1992?

Car-like ride. Roomy and comfortable. Cargo room. Turning radius. Lack of major blind spots. Build quality. Great lease deal.

Low end technology. Lack of basic standard features (please add bluetooth, iPod hookups to the base model). Road noise.