Used 2009 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Smart Car for Local Driving
By niteflite

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my third Honda; previously I had owned a 99 Accord and 04 Accord, both 4 cylinders. This cr-v actually shares the same engine as the 04 Accord, so given its bigger size, it lacks some power. Yet it had the most comfortable ride of the other cars I test drove - the rav4 and rogue. This car is great for local driving to run errands and stuff but for long distance driving it lacks the horsepower to make it up the hills easily. I also feel and hear the engine having to work too hard which isn't good.

Favorite Features

sleek exterior design, tpms, decent fuel efficiency, comfortable seating

Suggested Improvements

bigger engine, longer warranty, ease of resetting service reminder indicator, fully removal back seats

Goodbye Jeep Liberty Hello CRV
By b-rice

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After driving a Jeep Liberty for 1.5 years we decided to trade up to a Honda. We constantly remind ourselves of the wise choice we made. We have now owned it for 8 months and 10k miles and still love it as much as we did when we drove it off the lot. It is very sporty, practical and for the most part comfortable. The 4 cyl engine should produce a more efficient mpg but 24-27 is almost double what we were getting in our V6 Liberty with almost as much power. The LX is very basic, but it gets you from point A to point B while having fun. I never realized how many were on the road until we bought it. Haven't regretted our purchase one bit.

Favorite Features

Easy to read dash and computer, ipod adapter, decent stereo for LX model, peppy engine, decent fuel efficiency, nice cargo space, awesome safety features, sporty look, just a pleasure to see in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

The wheels could be a little classier, not as many rubber/plastic exterior parts (including handles), would like a disc changer (like I have said ok for the LX), little better gas mileage which happened in 2010 model, seats that are a little easier to clean (my wife does hair=hair splinters in seat)

Love my CR-V
By Vicki

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Love it! What a fun ride. This is our first CR-V. Initially we weren't looking for an SUV but after I test drove the CR-V I was hooked. The all wheel drive is awesome on the snow. Love the handling and the functionality. The gas mileage is pretty decent. I get about 25-26 MPG highway and about 23-24 MPG city. It really depends on how you drive it. MPG indicator gauge can help with that. It could have a little more pickup. I notice it mainly on the highway but you can put it in D3 by pushing the button on the side of the gear to give you extra pick up. Overall, great car.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, digital indicator for engine oil life, handling, luggage area and extra compartments, cup holders in the back seat (absolute necessity with the kids, MP3 port, there are 2 other ports to charge phones or whatever.

Suggested Improvements

Heated side mirrors to defrost ice. It can be a little bumpy of a ride, maybe change the suspension. Headrests are different than what I am used to.

Reliable, but LOUD
By gpzman

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Have about 15K on the CRV now. Plenty of power, smooth shifting and very high reliability. My only compliant is that the road noise in this vehicle is almost unbearable. I can't speak on the cell phone (even with headset) and the stereo has to be so loud to overcome the noise. Honda needs to address this issue. I think as American cars improve, they will be really hurt Honda by increasing cabin comfort. Just took 800 mile road trip only got 23.5 MPG-disappointing.

Favorite Features

Reliability, great, simple design

Suggested Improvements

Make it quieter, add a dome light to second row seats, look at adding 5th gear to improve highway MPG.

Handling and braking are excellent
By ChuckfromLI

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just returned from a 2500 miles trip to Florida and back, and have no serious complaints. My son is 6'4", did half the driving, and never lacked headroom. The car is quiet most of the time, except on rough concrete roads. The power level is fine, storage capacity is fine, handling and braking are excellent. Have also driven it on some snow covered roads and it felt very secure. I love the XM satellite radio. The leather still feels plasticky, but it is breaking in. My only "real" complaint is that the fan cycles on and off frequently when the car is idling, and that it is very noticeable and even sets off a vibration that is felt through the steering wheel. Current mileage is around 4500.

Favorite Features

Seat heaters work excellent, as does the climate control system. The seats heat up quickly and the car produces heat quicker than any other car I have ever owned. Also, the defogger, defroster, and heated mirrors all work quickly and work very well. I love the XM satellite radio.