Used 2009 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Buzzing when car starts
By larry

2009 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my cr-v new in 08 problem free till about a week ago, when starting , the relay switch buzzes.. Honda says its a "quirk", which to me says "problem" called the main office in CA was told to take it the dealership were my car can be checked out, but dought anything will be done about the buzzing.

Honda customer service is slipping

Nice little Honda
By Honda owner

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in 07 RAV-4 base model, wife has 07 CRV-EX; I think RAV had more passenger cabin space. MPG is good- we use BP 5% cash back card, I get 27-29 in summer, 24-26 in winter at 25-35 mph back roads/city and 55-65 mph divided highway to/from/for work. Concur re other interior comments- stains easily. Good in snow, easy to park, hauls stuff for picnics/parks, but a little crowded. With 2 car seats in back there's not enough room for adult in middle for comfort. Mine was made in USA, hers in Japan- mine showed rust on rear wheel hub(?) and hatch lift rods from purchase, not hers. Mine has squeak in steering/front shock. Continental 4x4 OEM tires bad-37K; new Cooper CS4's on hers ok at 12k.

Reliability good with Honda engineering, still feels more "solid" than RAV after almost 2 yrs on each. Good in snow- only had to shovel driveway when it was over 10" or so. Like mid-console- can stuff "things" box, etc under it. I use driver sunscreen mirror to check/talk to my child in back.

My USA-made car hints at less quality. Both cars show fingernail scratches on body under door handles. Her Walmart seat covers hide stains. Orig tires are not good- mine also bald at 35k. I was 74 Dodge Van (good), 83 Saab (ok), 96 Jeep Cherokee (ok) and 90 Toyota small pickup (great) owner.

FamilyMobile
By astrom

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The good: (a) Great for our family with the 2-year old twins. My wife can sit in the back between two car seats. At the same time, my mother can ride in the passenger seat. So it moves three adults and two kids and all the attendant stuff easily and comfortably; (b) well equipped: gray leather is great with the kids, love heated seats and mirrors, good stereo (e.g. subwoofer, 6-CD changer, MP3 playback, auxiliary input for an iPod), love the sunroof; (c) acceptable fuel economy (21 mpg overall), (d) 4WD is handy in winter; (e) trouble-free after 19,000 miles; (f) easy to live with, like a toaster, turn on/turn off, nothing more or less. Bad: (a) road noise; (b) weak engine

Interior design, ergonomics, stereo, sunroof, leather, heated seats and mirrors, reliability, practicality, fuel economy.

Hate the noise; can't stand the weak engine. I would not buy this as my personal car, but it does the job as a family mobile very nicely.

Had first oil change, still happy
By JustChuck

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had my first oil change about a month ago at 6500 miles. There was still 20% oil life left, according to the indicator. Also had the tires rotated at the same time. No issues at all with the car. The build quality is excellent. Gas mileage in crowded suburbs/stop and go driving is disappointing at 14-15 MPG, but highway mileage is consistently 26- 28 MPG. Have taken day long trips with three people and everyone comments how roomy and comfortable the back seat is. Have also taken a 2400 mile round trip NY-FL with my son who is 6'4". No issues with his height. Good luggage capacity, accommodated three people for a two day trip with room to spare, and two people for a week long trip.

The seats are very comfortable. While not overly powerful, the engine always seems to be in it's torque band. I didn't think I would continue with the SIRIUS radio after the initial three months free, but I have grown to love it and have continued the subscription.

Nothing that I can think of at this time.

Great Utility
By chitown

2009 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this last year and have put 15K miles on it. It has been absolutely trouble free. The engine performance is what you'd expect from a 4-banger in a vehicle this size: a little underwhelming. Still, it handles brilliantly for its size, has a crazy-good turn radius and is surprisingly short in length (making parallel parking in the city a snap), and gets solid fuel economy. We average about 25 mpg. Cruising on the expressway at 70, we get up to 31 mpg or so. Cargo space is fantastic. We've moved furniture boxes in this thing that we'd have never suspected could fit. It's not the most exciting vehicle on the planet, but it's super reliable and solid. Best car Honda offers for the $.

Cargo room, handling for its size, subtly brilliant ergonomics

More power. Address the minor rust issue with the steel wheels