Used 2009 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Most Helpful|
As advertised
By hack

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We recently drove from Minnesota to Maine via Canada, down the East Coast and back to the Midwest with our two kids. Most of what you hear about the CRV is true. There is pronounced road noise on rough pavement, though smooth pavement is fine. The engine has pep in city driving, but acceleration can be sluggish and the engine can feel over-matched on highway merging and some hills - passing is fine. The suspension and seats are a bit stiff, the low-beam lights are poor, but the driver's view, cabin lay-out, and the responsiveness of the steering are excellent. Easily fit a month's worth of gear. Biggest surprise? Very good mileage 28 - 32 at 70+ on the highway. Not a luxury vehicle.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission, cabin lay-out, responsive steering and room. Pleasantly surprised with fuel efficiency thus far on the highway. I am careful, but not slow, and it's been much better than advertised.

Suggested Improvements

Even with the upgraded stereo/speakers on the EX, low-end sound is very tough to pick up and the sound quality hurts my ears. I wish I could have gotten a better stereo w/out trim upgrade. Engine is mostly fine, a bit more horsepower would be better. Even so, felt it was much better than the RAV.

2009 FWD EX-L with Navigation
By doffer

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is a well-engineered, solid vehicle at a reasonable price. The vehicle provides better road visibility as it sits up higher than a sedan, decent mileage, and is flexible enough if we need to transport small stuff (e.g., chairs, boxes, etc.). The ride is kind of rough, not sure if a change of tires would help, or that's the way it is supposed to ride.

Favorite Features

leather seats are comfortable with seat warmer for winter; navigation system is handy and easy to use; decent mileage (21 mpg in town and 28 on highway); trunk hatch opens straight up instead of sideways; looks better than competing vehicles that have spare tire sitting on back hatch.

Suggested Improvements

include seat memory function and fog lamps as standard features on the higher end models; design a seat fold down that provides a flat surface and eliminates the funky side straps; improve the daytime visibility on the gas gauge; conform the navigation system to the Acura's (less buttons)

Disappointment
By rajinny

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my Dodge Caravan that I had for 17 years for the Honda CR-V. The ac works intermittently and I took it back within the first week and it was not fixed. I had to take it back and the clutch, temp sensor and thermal protector were replaced and it still had the problem after being 3 days in the shop. Now I took it back and the dealership is troubleshooting. It is day 3. I contacted Honda Corporate- disappointed- one more layer of mgmt. I am looking into the lemon law process. I have had the vehicle for less than 2 months and less than 300 miles and it has been in the shop 3 times already. I would suggest that before buying test the SUV and ac sufficiently.

Favorite Features

The CRV is a 4-cyl but handles like a 6-cyl. Easy steering and smooth acceleration. I am happy overall with the SUV except for ac.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are rigid and uncomfortable, Air conditioning temp readings should be on the panel since ac intermittently, road noise is very noticeable, back hatch control should be on remote key and inside the vehicle, too early to tell other improvements.

Just Another
By Boring

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Well I was sold on all the hype of reliability. My wife is really upset we traded a Chevy that has zero issues to one that has us at the Honda Dealer every week. All little stuff from rattles to AC not working. Oh yeah my second transmission in 18000 Miles. Did I get a lemon? Don't think so, lots of others in the waiting room at Honda thinking what did I do. Oh the new body style will be better; seems they are doing a redesign to modernize it like the Nissan, Chevy , Ford and Mitsubishi.

Favorite Features

Well after the problems it's hard to see anything good. It looks like every other grocery getter out there. No fear driving this as it can't do much as far as performance.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better rear visibility, better stereo, Bluetooth option, Smart or Pass Key Option, better brakes - Honda, better brakes are an option (LX vs EX)?? Safety should never be an option.

Seats from Hell
By Bob

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Love the 2009 Honda CR-V I just bought with one glaring exception, the seats are from hell. After about a 100 mile trip they are so uncomfortable I just about traded it in with less than 500 miles total on the CR-V. Probably will not keep this vehicle much longer, cannot stand to be so miserable. Am asked "How do you like your new car?" I answer "I hate it, want to buy it!" That just about sums it up!!

Favorite Features

Style, handling, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

COMFORTABLE SEATS!!!!