Used 2009 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

A Great Alternative
By EJS

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We test drove a lot of SUV's-a lot. The sticker shock was, well, shocking. With this Honda, though too small to classify as an SUV, was exactly what we were looking for. The interior quality really sets it apart and was not seen anywhere in this price range. It is very roomy, drives exceptionally well, is quite nimble and gets good gas mileage. However, it is woefully underpowered. This "car/suv" is a great alternative to spending mid forties on another vehicle. And what's really nice, in five years this Honda will have the same trade in value as that 45K SUV we liked and almost bought.

Favorite Features

Quality or material. It has an Excellent ride, its very tight and it has the best crash and safety rating to keep my wife safe.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a bigger engine or a turbo because this is about 100 horses underpowered. 0-60 in a week.

2009 Honda CRV
By R.Kaminski

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Not pleased with overall ride. Gas mileage excellent. Went on a 300 mile highway trip and crv was very bumpy, felt almost every bump on highway. Could hear the tires going over every bump inside the car. Outside noise extremely loud inside crv. Needs more insulation to eliminate noise. Headrest very uncomfortable. Other than that crv is ok. Will wait and see how brakes hold up. Other reviews complain about possible brake pads and rotor replacements sooner than most cars. Would not recommend this crv. Unfortunately daughter bought same car and she also experiences same loud noises.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage. Averaged 31 on recent highway trip.

Suggested Improvements

Work on eliminating outside noises.

My First Honda
By Harry

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm really enjoying the CRV. I've owned Toyotas for my last 5 vehicles and may become a long-term Honda fan. This is a well designed and built vehicle. The total package was the selling point: moonroof, stereo, privacy glass, alloys, fit and finish. These were only available in the high end Outback. I go on my first road trip tomorrow and am anxious to see what the gas mileage is. Highly recommend!

Favorite Features

Handling, stereo, moonroof. Rav4 steering is electric and feels unnatural. CRV has great steering feedback. There is enough power for conservative driving. Made in Ohio!

Suggested Improvements

Some of the EX-L options. Get rid of the center tray, add lumbar adjust to cloth seats, side moulding and door-edge moulding should be standard equipment.

Best Value & Performance
By motoguy128

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I compared the Nissan Rogue and RAV4 to the CR-V. For the price, I felt the EX 4WD trim offered the best value compared to the competition. It handles like a much smaller vehicle. Coming from a Nissan Versa, it often feels more nimble and easier to maneuver. The Rogue was a little more responsive once rolling, but the CR-V feels more responsive off the line.

Favorite Features

Excellent steering feel and response. Steering weighted just right!!! Nice interior materials, Well shaped seat, great visibility sitting high without any large blind spots, and very stable feeling on higher speed turns like on ramps. The suspension really follows the bumps in the road.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a 2.5L with a little more "meat" in the bottom end, to hold gears with a load or up hills. The transmission has to downshift on almost any hill. The tall 5th gear is great for cruising, but I wonder if it's a little too tall. A/C could be more powerful. Manual 4WD lock would be nice.

31 MPG From Albany to Riverside
By tsamoni

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am a new father and traded in my Civic Coupe for a family-friendly, but fun-to-drive CR-V. On a recent trip to Albany, NY to Riverside, NJ (250 miles) I averaged 31 MPG--not too bad for a car that is a lot heavier than my 35MPG Civic. This car is great for the guy who is in his early 30's, just starting a family, and who can't see himself in a minivan or a Sedan like the Accord or Camry (too old manish and boring). I have plenty of room for all my daughter's stuff and enough left over for my passengers--even with a car seat installed. Overall, this is a great compromise between style and fun, and necessity and practicality. The CR-V guarantees I will be a Loyal Honda Owner forever!

Favorite Features

Cruise Control is Standard--great for fuel economy. Huge trunk. Safety, Safety, Safety! It's not a minivan!

Suggested Improvements

These are NOT a big deal when you consider the whole package! 6-Disc Changer should not be optional. Not everyone likes iTunes and MP3s. Speedometer--use increments of 5 not 2. Some of the console storage is too small. Interior fabric could be a bit softer