Used 2009 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Excellent
By Mohan

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research on similar cars from various manufactures along with the CRV, before opting for the CRV. It is primarily driven by my wife (who loves it to bits). She drives 120miles round trip to work every day and says the drives it great. It has lots of room in the front and back. Regarding the fuel consumption, well she is averaging around 29miles/gal. We did a round trip on Labor day from Chicago to Cincinnati to Twinsbury and back to Chicago. An amazing car. I loved the drive as a driver and a passenger (in the front and back). Both my son and daughter love the drive and the comfort the CRV has to offer. There was lots of room in the trunk for all our legs. Well designed.

Favorite Features

What can I say "COMFORT" all round, front and back. Excellent drive. Super fuel consumption. Ideal for a large family.

Suggested Improvements

The CRV like many other cars has the front lights turned automatically when the engine is started. It would be nice if the "rear" would do the same. (MINOR issue)

Compact with a mid size feel...
By Turp

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have driven this CRV for about 1,000 miles and taken a few trips. This design is very refined with road and wind noise very well controlled. The engine is very smooth and quiet. The typical 4 cyl rev can be heard when accelerating, but is not intrusive or loud. It has very responsive handling and power. While we have yet to do one of those "pedal to the metal" passes, the engine does allow very good pick-up with surprising torque. In comparison to the 2010 Forester, Rav4, and Venza, only the Venza beat it in ride refinement and quiet. However its 2.6 was slightly sluggish with the larger vehicle. The CRV feels more like a midsize in the passenger area than a compact.

Favorite Features

Interior room. Ride. Performance.

Suggested Improvements

The seats. The back seats are rather firm and could be a little more plush. This may improve with break-in. We went with leather because I, 5'11" 200lb+ male, could not get comfortable in the cloth model on the driver or passenger side. The leather pkg was worth the $$$$ for the increased comfort.

I love me a Honda
By dave

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After test-driving everything in the segment, I found the CRV to be the best choice for me. Very comfortable ride, lots of functionality and interior room. Good fuel economy, about 30 highway and 23 in town. Plenty of pep in town, gets right up to speed on the highway. It is very similar to the Rav4 and the current Forester. I was coming out of a Civic and I finally decided on the CRV because I am used to the feel and layout of Honda's.

Favorite Features

Instrument panel is sweet, AWD is handy.

Suggested Improvements

A V6 option would be great for those who do more towing than I do. Better padding on the ends of the armrests would be nice. I would have liked the roof rack to come standard, but I guess Honda is trying to keep the sticker price down.

I love my CR-V
By SandraK

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was extremely hesitant about purchasing a 4 cylinder, but after 2 weeks of ownership in hilly country, there has been no problem with power. It cruises comfortably, the seats are fabulous, and there is definitely enough power to pass a car when necessary. The car is sporty and fun to drive, easy to turn, and easy to convert for large items (I brought a huge self-propelled lawnmower home in the back of the car last week). My mileage is averaging 24.5 mpg. The car is quiet and the radio/CD sounds terrific.

Favorite Features

Love, love, love the entire car!

Suggested Improvements

My only improvement recommendation to Honda would be to redesign the little window in the back. It does not aesthetically match the contour of the slope of the roof. In an artist's eye, it just doesn't do justice to the overall appearance of the car.

You Want This Vehicle
By RobertM

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I owned a 2006 Chevy Equinox and I traded up for this vehicle. I definitely traded up! The Chevy's interior left a lot to be desired and after a while I grew tired of the exterior as well. With my new CR-V I feel like I'm definitely driving in style. My main goal was to increase my mpg average without sacrificing space and comfort. I have a very large dog and thought a car might get better mileage, she would not have her own space. With the CR-V I get car style mileage and SUV style space. The perfect combination. If you're looking for that combination as well as great interior and exterior style and finish, then you've found the one to get. I've had it for two weeks now and have ZERO regrets.

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather seats, great dual climate control, plenty of cargo space and flexibility, excellent mpg (have been averaging about 26 mpg), and stylish interior/exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Stick shift might be a little more "fun" to drive. All 4 window auto up/down would be nice. A compass would be a nice finishing touch to the otherwise excellent trip computer.