09 CRV EX (compare to 02 CRV)
By ALK on
2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
Upgraded from an 02 CRV EX to an 09 CRV EX. The 09 "seems" smaller in the cargo area - but upon putting the cargo tray from the 02 into the 09 - it's actually the same size. The difference is that the 09 has support shelves for the cargo shelf that stick out into the trunk area. The hatch also slopes - so you lose some space. In addition, the EX is missing the hooks that the 02 had (to hang grocery bags). The 09 is missing dash storage - but the dash is much better designed - I can reach the radio controls without leaning forward. Note - the Honda supplied floor mats are junk! After 1500 miles, I've worn out the carpet pile. The mats on my 02 looked brand new after 7 years. Overall, B+.
Favorite Features
Dash layout, real time MPG readout (helps you adjust your driving habits to maximize fuel economy). MPG is better than my 02 - averaging around 23/24 with a mix of city/hwy. City driving - 21 MPG.
Suggested Improvements
Include body side molding and quality floor mats. Plastic interior door handles scratch very easily. Add hooks to the center tray so you can hang a trash bag (like the 02 had.) Add a dash cubby for a garage door opener. The 02 had one at the top - the 09's cubbies are low and you have to bend.