Used 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L SUV Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Honda continues to make great vehicles
By M. Hurst

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my '09 CRV in January 2011. It had been a leased car and only had 16,000 miles on it. The other vehicles I was considering at that time were a 2011 Hyunda Tucson, a 2011 Toyota RAV4, a Toyota Venza, and a Chevy Traverse.

I've enjoyed driving this car. It's very comfortable on long trips (it's been cross-country twice), has plenty of power, and the cargo area is much larger in cubic feet than most other small SUVs. I have dogs, and the rear easily holds 2 crates. As of date it has over 86,000 miles on it. I'll probably put another 40-50,000 on it before I trade it.

No major repairs yet. I have had it routinely serviced at a Honda dealer, replace the battery once, and all four tires.

Only complaints (which Honda has not improved/changed) are: road noise, should get better mileage for a small 4 cylinder engine, no vents to deliver air to back seat or rear compartment, the backseat does not fold completely flat.

Would I purchase another Honda CRV - yes!

alright suv
By Retired Air Force

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the CRV to replace a Town and Country. My wife wanted something smaller to use for work. It is very noisy on the Houston roads, the car has 23,000 miles and the tires are already showing alot of wear. If you put the back windows down at highway speeds, there is a deafening noise that sounds like a jet is taking off in your back seat. The mileage is also not as good as we expected. Sitting in both front seats on long trips isn't all that enjoyable

exterior look/good radio and cd player

put on quality tires

Most reliable cars on the road
By Indianapolis

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this for my wife, it has done everything I knew it would as I have owned Honda products in the past. 2-WD is more than adequate in the snow; absolutely no problems on ice/snow. Nothing breaks, everything works. Will last 20 years. Honda is quality.

The knowledge that is will always start and nothing ever breaks. Drives like a car, very easy to handle!

It indeed could use more power; but for family use it is fine.

Still Raving after 9 months ownership
By Happy CR-V Owners

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've had this car for 9 months, now, and could not be more pleased. Highway mileage from Florida to upstate NY averaged over 30 mph. Comfort and driveability are superb for this level of vehicle. (I do agree with a few others that road noise is a little above what we'd like, but who's perfect? Even with the 2-wheel drive that's standard in the south, we had no trouble driving in the snow and ice of Rochester, NY area a couple weeks ago. Overall, we're VERY pleased with our purchase and would buy another CR-V in a minute.

Handling, comfort and mileage

A little more sound insulation would help the CR-V.

Headrest and Parking Brake Defect
By Wanda

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I admired the new CR-V body style for a couple of years before buying one. I did a test drive and mentioned to the salesman that the headrest was uncomfortable. He said not to worry, it was adjustable. After purchasing the vehicle, the dealership did not provide an overview of any of the features -- all they wanted to do was make the sale. I recently drove my CR- V on a 6 hour day trip. By the time I got there, I had a massive headache. I also had a bruise on my left leg because the parking break is placed right where I normally rest my leg. Can you say buyer's remorse? I hate this car. The headrest is not adjustable and the parking break is going to stay where it is. Back to Toyota next time.

In this case the things I dislike overpower anything positive about the car.

Fix the headrest!!!! Move the parking break as far left as possible. Check out the design for the Toyota Highlander - most comfortable car I ever had.