Used 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

alright suv
By Retired Air Force

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the CRV to replace a Town and Country. My wife wanted something smaller to use for work. It is very noisy on the Houston roads, the car has 23,000 miles and the tires are already showing alot of wear. If you put the back windows down at highway speeds, there is a deafening noise that sounds like a jet is taking off in your back seat. The mileage is also not as good as we expected. Sitting in both front seats on long trips isn't all that enjoyable

Favorite Features

exterior look/good radio and cd player

Suggested Improvements

put on quality tires

Most reliable cars on the road
By Indianapolis

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this for my wife, it has done everything I knew it would as I have owned Honda products in the past. 2-WD is more than adequate in the snow; absolutely no problems on ice/snow. Nothing breaks, everything works. Will last 20 years. Honda is quality.

Favorite Features

The knowledge that is will always start and nothing ever breaks. Drives like a car, very easy to handle!

Suggested Improvements

It indeed could use more power; but for family use it is fine.

Still Raving after 9 months ownership
By Happy CR-V Owners

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've had this car for 9 months, now, and could not be more pleased. Highway mileage from Florida to upstate NY averaged over 30 mph. Comfort and driveability are superb for this level of vehicle. (I do agree with a few others that road noise is a little above what we'd like, but who's perfect? Even with the 2-wheel drive that's standard in the south, we had no trouble driving in the snow and ice of Rochester, NY area a couple weeks ago. Overall, we're VERY pleased with our purchase and would buy another CR-V in a minute.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort and mileage

Suggested Improvements

A little more sound insulation would help the CR-V.

Headrest and Parking Brake Defect
By Wanda

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I admired the new CR-V body style for a couple of years before buying one. I did a test drive and mentioned to the salesman that the headrest was uncomfortable. He said not to worry, it was adjustable. After purchasing the vehicle, the dealership did not provide an overview of any of the features -- all they wanted to do was make the sale. I recently drove my CR- V on a 6 hour day trip. By the time I got there, I had a massive headache. I also had a bruise on my left leg because the parking break is placed right where I normally rest my leg. Can you say buyer's remorse? I hate this car. The headrest is not adjustable and the parking break is going to stay where it is. Back to Toyota next time.

Favorite Features

In this case the things I dislike overpower anything positive about the car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the headrest!!!! Move the parking break as far left as possible. Check out the design for the Toyota Highlander - most comfortable car I ever had.

Compact with a mid size feel...
By Turp

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have driven this CRV for about 1,000 miles and taken a few trips. This design is very refined with road and wind noise very well controlled. The engine is very smooth and quiet. The typical 4 cyl rev can be heard when accelerating, but is not intrusive or loud. It has very responsive handling and power. While we have yet to do one of those "pedal to the metal" passes, the engine does allow very good pick-up with surprising torque. In comparison to the 2010 Forester, Rav4, and Venza, only the Venza beat it in ride refinement and quiet. However its 2.6 was slightly sluggish with the larger vehicle. The CRV feels more like a midsize in the passenger area than a compact.

Favorite Features

Interior room. Ride. Performance.

Suggested Improvements

The seats. The back seats are rather firm and could be a little more plush. This may improve with break-in. We went with leather because I, 5'11" 200lb+ male, could not get comfortable in the cloth model on the driver or passenger side. The leather pkg was worth the $$$$ for the increased comfort.