2009 Honda CR-V LX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2009 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Fuel pump fails @60K
By rss9

2009 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am the first owner of this car. The tires were replaced in 18K. The fuel pump fails at 62K. I am not sure HONDA is maintaining quality. Dealer is trying to sell extended warranty informing me lot things can go wrong.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve quality.

HONDA FAIL
By fathom73

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

2009 CRV EX. Out of warranty with less than 100K miles. Front bumper paint on the plastic parts has been peeling the last two years. HONDA FAIL. AC System Stopped working. $1500 fix... oh wait, it was recalled so the paid it, but still, Honda FAil! Rear Door Actuator for power locks went bad. $250. Honda Fail. Steering System (rack and Pinion) needs to be replaced. Over $1100 for just the parts. Labor is another bundle of $. Honda FAIL! Now my service writer told me these are COMMON!! So Common Honda actually went through with a Recall on the AC.. lucky me. NOT THE BRAND THEY ONCE WERE. HONDA FAIL. It seems like Honda is the old Hyundai and Visa Versa... Ugh

Favorite Features

Zippy little suv.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using inferior parts and stand behind your vehicles if it's a "Common" issue.

Water Leaks in CRV interior (no moonroof)
By williamj62

2009 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Noticed longterm musty smell in our one owner , one driver 2009 CRV. Found significant amount of water in spare tire compartment and front passenger floor board. Car in excellent shape w/22k miles, no moonroof, no accidents with dealer installed roof rails. Saw several similar complaints on internet. Took to dealer, cost $600 to "seal under rear bumper" and under windshiel lower cowl area. Hopefully the problem was addressed. Was told seams were not sealed by factory. Dealer had seen this problem before and was very through looking for the problem-not a dealer issue. Honda, however, would not cover the cost of any of this, although it is clearly a factory quality control problem.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Improvement in basic workmanship to prevent leaks in the interior. Sealed seams, leak prevention, more comfortable back seats.

Checking in at 20K
By chuckfromli

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just passed 20K recently. Went on KBB a few minutes ago to see what the car is worth. Private party value for very good condition is 21K. That means I only lost about $5500 in almost three years and 20,000 miles, and I didn't even enter my mileage. Their default was like 40K miles! Car is overall very, very good. Love the heated seats and the sound system. I have not had any problems at all. Washed it by hand today and I was surprised to see the tires getting close to wear bars. I would guess there's another 7 or 8K left on them. In fact, I like it so much we may buy a 2012 for my wife.

Favorite Features

sunroof, heated seats, sound system, XM radio, resale value, and an overall feeling that is is just built right.

Suggested Improvements

The leather is still cheap and plasticky. The tires howl on concrete roads. The seats cold have more padding.

Tires and oil use
By david1237

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have 54,000 mi on a 2009 CRV we bought new. I am happy overall with the vehicle. Get 24 mph running around and have gotten as high as 30-31 mph long trip; babying it! I seem to use a quart of oil Mobil synthetic every 2000 mi or so! The dealer says anything over a quart every 1000 mi is within normal limits. The Tires that came on the vehicle are "crap". I changed them at 28,000 mi and they were nearly bald. Could have been changed several thousand miles earlier. I generally keep the vehicles for 200,000 miles. I change the oil at 15% averaging every 10,000 miles or so! A little scary, but this is OK with the dealer. I do feel better using synthetic and have used since the first oil change

At 15,000+ miles
By chuckfromli

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just had it in to Honda for a recall regarding a transmission upgrade. Also had my third oil change and tire rotation at this time. No problems with the vehicle at all. Gas mileage varies a lot though. It can get 26-27 MPG on highway if the road is level. That will drop to 22-24 if there are hills. Around the crowded suburbs I average about 21 MPG. The leather seats are cheap, no doubt. It seems only the drivers seat is actually leather. And there is a lot of wind noise if you open just one of the front windows on the highway. You need to crack open one of the rear windows too. But this is true in many cars and vans these days it seems.

Favorite Features

Still keep the XM radio-can't live without it now. The heated seats works great. The seats are comfortable to me, and I've never had a problem with the headrest position. It is just a good, reliable, maneuverable car/SUV. The resale value is phenomenal too. I see Honda dealers asking MSRP for year old vehicles, and even two year old ones they are asking for only about $2000 under original MSRP. I know those are asking prices, but still, to drive a car for 2-3 years and have it still be worth 70-80% of what you paid for is unheard of in any other brand I know of.

Suggested Improvements

Honda-Invest in some good quality leather!

The Good Ratings Are Deceiving
By hope043

2009 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I don't understand how the star rating is so high for reviews that are quite negative. READ THE REVIEWS. We've had this vehicle almost a year and regret it. Believe what the others have said about the drivers seat and headrest being uncomfortable! You don't really notice it from just taking it out for a test drive. Poor inside storage design - the double glove box and under seat storage is nice, but the other cubby holes are practically useless. And it's crazy to put cup holders in the door - your drink spills when shutting the door. The gas mileage is also quite disappointing. Wish we never traded in our 2005 Toyota Matrix.

Favorite Features

So far it seems to be dependable. Fairly nice looking.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seats and headrests! Design actually useful storage. Improve gas mileage Include an option for a cargo cover - we used this a lot in our Matrix. Improve the design of radio buttons Create storage under the center console between the seats.

Hard Ride
By ken117

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Had a 2009 CRV EX-L 4WD. Overall it was a nice vehicle. However, there are a few things which make the vehicle difficult for longer trips. First is the road noise. By far the worst I have ever had in a vehicle. Second is the lack of power. The engine is just too timid to function will at highway speeds. Third is the excessive hard interior plastics. I also felt the leather was too much like vinyl. I found the vehicle wonderful for use around town but for any long trips the ride was far too uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

The size of the vehicle for use around town. The overall quality seemed good. I didn't have the vehicle long enough to judge the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Better interior materials. USB connection. Auto dimming mirror.

Great in snow (and all year round)
By darwinzfolly

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Tested the CRV's mettle in a recent MN snowstorm (where we got 20 inches of snow). On the way home from work, the car plowed through the snow as if it wasn't there. I was impressed & felt very safe. It's great for shopping,hauling people and pets, and gets decent mileage.

Favorite Features

Great in all kinds of weather.

Suggested Improvements

Need a console (not that dumb table) between the driver and passenger. Redesign the glove compartment so it can hold more stuff.

At 9000 miles
By ChuckfromLI

2009 Honda CR-V SUV EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Gas mileage has improved tremendously since the engine is broken in. Currently getting over 22 MPG in crowded suburban driving, up from 18 or so. Still very, very happy with the car. No problems, comfortable in the front and rear.

Favorite Features

Sirius radio, sunroof, seat warmers

Suggested Improvements

Stronger bumpers. I backed into a sign post at about 5 MPH and caused some slight damage o rear bumper.