2009 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2009 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Fuel pump fails @60K
By rss9

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am the first owner of this car. The tires were replaced in 18K. The fuel pump fails at 62K. I am not sure HONDA is maintaining quality. Dealer is trying to sell extended warranty informing me lot things can go wrong.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve quality.

Great Utility
By chitown

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this last year and have put 15K miles on it. It has been absolutely trouble free. The engine performance is what you'd expect from a 4-banger in a vehicle this size: a little underwhelming. Still, it handles brilliantly for its size, has a crazy-good turn radius and is surprisingly short in length (making parallel parking in the city a snap), and gets solid fuel economy. We average about 25 mpg. Cruising on the expressway at 70, we get up to 31 mpg or so. Cargo space is fantastic. We've moved furniture boxes in this thing that we'd have never suspected could fit. It's not the most exciting vehicle on the planet, but it's super reliable and solid. Best car Honda offers for the $.

Favorite Features

Cargo room, handling for its size, subtly brilliant ergonomics

Suggested Improvements

More power. Address the minor rust issue with the steel wheels

Goodbye Jeep Liberty Hello CRV
By b-rice

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After driving a Jeep Liberty for 1.5 years we decided to trade up to a Honda. We constantly remind ourselves of the wise choice we made. We have now owned it for 8 months and 10k miles and still love it as much as we did when we drove it off the lot. It is very sporty, practical and for the most part comfortable. The 4 cyl engine should produce a more efficient mpg but 24-27 is almost double what we were getting in our V6 Liberty with almost as much power. The LX is very basic, but it gets you from point A to point B while having fun. I never realized how many were on the road until we bought it. Haven't regretted our purchase one bit.

Favorite Features

Easy to read dash and computer, ipod adapter, decent stereo for LX model, peppy engine, decent fuel efficiency, nice cargo space, awesome safety features, sporty look, just a pleasure to see in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

The wheels could be a little classier, not as many rubber/plastic exterior parts (including handles), would like a disc changer (like I have said ok for the LX), little better gas mileage which happened in 2010 model, seats that are a little easier to clean (my wife does hair=hair splinters in seat)

Wishful thinking.
By tom

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I live and drive in San Francisco. Our streets are not the best. We have lots of hills, stop signs, and untimed traffic lights. I guess none of this is taken into account when "they" calculate the city mpg. With about 80% city and 20% highway driving, I'm getting, with a very light foot, about 17 mpg. The turning radius is a bit too much for easy U-type-turns. The rear window is too high for easy backing into my downhill garage. Road noise at freeway speed is a bit too loud. I expected better.

Favorite Features

The ride is firm, pothole control is excellent, braking is outstanding. Wheel response is outstanding. Forward visibility is outstanding. Engine noise is very low and accelerates like a V-6. I'm a very happy camper.

Suggested Improvements

A lower rear window, and an option to unlock any door occupied by a passenger when in park and the key is removed from the ignition. Not all passengers are kids. Reduce the turning radius.

love and hate of my new CRV
By David

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just bought my 2009 Honda CRV LX 2X and got very annoyed by the driver's seat head support. It is absolutely unacceptable design. Only one hour drive already made my neck uncomfortable.It is like a bullet sitting against the back of your head! forcing your head to bent.The engine is very smooth in local but luggish and noisy on uphills.Accept these two, everything else is almost perfect.But these will cause me to sell it right away.especially the seat.The power is known to be not very good on uphills.But the front seats are not acceptable.pay good attention to it before you buy it. I regret not going to test drive the RAV4.

Favorite Features

love the exterior desin, the steering wheel, the traction and stability control, the glacier blue color.

Suggested Improvements

absolutely redesign the front seats.it is hard to image Honda engeer made this blunder.

I Like My 09 CRV LX
By Bill

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have four Hondas (one an 08 CRV) in the family, so sold on reliability. It came down between the CRV and Hyundai Santa Fe. I really liked the Santa Fe for the money, but I drive cars 10-15 years, and felt better about Honda's long term reliability. I have not noticed the road noise problem I have read about. The CRV is fun to drive, and does very well on the interstate. I like the maintenance minder, mpg display, etc. The ride and seats are a little firmer than I like (67 yrs old), but not that uncomfortable. My only problem was "rail rust" in the paint on top. I used a clay bar to help remove it. I do not understand why the top can't be covered in transit. So far, very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Considering it is a small SUV, I like the way it handles on the interstate. The four cylinder is smooth and has enough power for my driving. I like the maintenance minder and associated displays. The seating space is good in both front and back, with some rear cargo space still left .

Suggested Improvements

No real complaints, other than more protection during shipping. I was somewhat disappointed that it was not assembled in the US. I wish there had been more LX's available. I had very few colors to choose from, but didn't want to pay extra $2k for sun roof and other features I didn't need.

Love it
By Lisa

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had different types and styles of vehicles, and this one is my favorite. I have only had it a week, but love it. I think it has a better quality interior than the Rav4. I like that the center folds down and becomes a walk through. I also like that with the stick on the dash and parking brake by the pedals, you have floor space up front and can even switch seats up front if you had to, without getting out. I read that some people complain about noise, I have not noticed any so far.

Favorite Features

slight illumination in cab at night from tiny blue light on ceiling

Suggested Improvements

None so far

Engine Noise
By angelo

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased 2009 CRV LX in mid Feb. Rode excellent in test drive in cool weather. Handling is fine ..compared RAV and Tribute but CRV won out. Owned Civic manual transmission LX previously for 12 yrs and never had a problem. Only negative with CRV now is disturbing engine high pitch whine which continues seconds after engine is turned off.

Favorite Features

instrumentation, good mileage, tight steering all excellent

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not that comfortable but car is affordable; hope Honda returns CRV to a manual transmission; reduce engine noise.

It's ok, but needs much improvement
By its ok

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

So I have about 8k miles on this cr-v. It is ok so far but is begging for improvement. First off the gas mileage is no where near advertised unless you are going to drive pure interstate which I rarely do. My driving is 65% highway (at 65mph-70mpg) and I've been averaging 20 mpg. I did drive this car pure city before and got approx 18mpg. Next is the engine. Do not even think about passing someone with this SUV. The engine is very underpowered, it's almost like this car is begging for a v6. However, the engine is very smooth, and very quiet below 75mph. Ride wise this is a firm ride, Honda could have made the suspension a little softer. Finally THE ROAD NOISE! On the Highway it is very loud.

Favorite Features

Looks nice from the outside, great seating design, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Very underpowered engine, solve the road noise problem. If it is windy outside, it gets much worse. Make a smoother shifting transmission, it can be hesitant and shift roughly if you demand power from it.

All we ever wanted and more
By Vernon Bevill

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Wife wrecked her 03 PT Cruiser in January, so we car shopped 3 yrs sooner than planned. After research between a Toyota Rav4 & Honda CR-V. Test drove both, especially at night for low beam headlamps in deer country. Both tested well but felt the Honda was a bit better in comfort & mileage and details for the money. Several customers said the service at this dealership was great. We have been getting 24.8 in the commute/town driving and the one road trip of 360 miles I got 29.8 doing around 70. We loved the Cruiser, but already like this one better. It is roomy and well built and has all the appointments needed. Arm rests & visors could be wider, but that's all we see needed after 3 mo.

Favorite Features

Great mileage, comfort of ride, visibility, feel sturdy, and standard features seem to be a bit more than on most vehicles. Like the rubber tray in the rear compartment for catching spills. We are over 60 and getting in and out is real easy, and lots of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wider arm rests on front seats, and visors that have extenders to cover more sun up. Would like a thermometer to give outside temperature and a compass.