2009 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Fuel pump fails @60K
By rss9 on 03/16/14 17:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am the first owner of this car. The tires were replaced in 18K. The fuel pump fails at 62K. I am not sure HONDA is maintaining quality. Dealer is trying to sell extended warranty informing me lot things can go wrong.

HONDA FAIL
By fathom73 on 05/14/13 19:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

2009 CRV EX. Out of warranty with less than 100K miles. Front bumper paint on the plastic parts has been peeling the last two years. HONDA FAIL. AC System Stopped working. $1500 fix... oh wait, it was recalled so the paid it, but still, Honda FAil! Rear Door Actuator for power locks went bad. $250. Honda Fail. Steering System (rack and Pinion) needs to be replaced. Over $1100 for just the parts. Labor is another bundle of $. Honda FAIL! Now my service writer told me these are COMMON!! So Common Honda actually went through with a Recall on the AC.. lucky me. NOT THE BRAND THEY ONCE WERE. HONDA FAIL. It seems like Honda is the old Hyundai and Visa Versa... Ugh

Water Leaks in CRV interior (no moonroof)
By williamj62 on 01/13/13 14:43 PM (PST)

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Noticed longterm musty smell in our one owner , one driver 2009 CRV. Found significant amount of water in spare tire compartment and front passenger floor board. Car in excellent shape w/22k miles, no moonroof, no accidents with dealer installed roof rails. Saw several similar complaints on internet. Took to dealer, cost $600 to "seal under rear bumper" and under windshiel lower cowl area. Hopefully the problem was addressed. Was told seams were not sealed by factory. Dealer had seen this problem before and was very through looking for the problem-not a dealer issue. Honda, however, would not cover the cost of any of this, although it is clearly a factory quality control problem.

Checking in at 20K
By chuckfromli on 04/01/12 18:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just passed 20K recently. Went on KBB a few minutes ago to see what the car is worth. Private party value for very good condition is 21K. That means I only lost about $5500 in almost three years and 20,000 miles, and I didn't even enter my mileage. Their default was like 40K miles! Car is overall very, very good. Love the heated seats and the sound system. I have not had any problems at all. Washed it by hand today and I was surprised to see the tires getting close to wear bars. I would guess there's another 7 or 8K left on them. In fact, I like it so much we may buy a 2012 for my wife.

Tires and oil use
By david1237 on 11/15/11 07:27 AM (PST)

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have 54,000 mi on a 2009 CRV we bought new. I am happy overall with the vehicle. Get 24 mph running around and have gotten as high as 30-31 mph long trip; babying it! I seem to use a quart of oil Mobil synthetic every 2000 mi or so! The dealer says anything over a quart every 1000 mi is within normal limits. The Tires that came on the vehicle are "crap". I changed them at 28,000 mi and they were nearly bald. Could have been changed several thousand miles earlier. I generally keep the vehicles for 200,000 miles. I change the oil at 15% averaging every 10,000 miles or so! A little scary, but this is OK with the dealer. I do feel better using synthetic and have used since the first oil change

At 15,000+ miles
By chuckfromli on 09/03/11 05:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just had it in to Honda for a recall regarding a transmission upgrade. Also had my third oil change and tire rotation at this time. No problems with the vehicle at all. Gas mileage varies a lot though. It can get 26-27 MPG on highway if the road is level. That will drop to 22-24 if there are hills. Around the crowded suburbs I average about 21 MPG. The leather seats are cheap, no doubt. It seems only the drivers seat is actually leather. And there is a lot of wind noise if you open just one of the front windows on the highway. You need to crack open one of the rear windows too. But this is true in many cars and vans these days it seems.

The Good Ratings Are Deceiving
By hope043 on 07/30/11 11:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I don't understand how the star rating is so high for reviews that are quite negative. READ THE REVIEWS. We've had this vehicle almost a year and regret it. Believe what the others have said about the drivers seat and headrest being uncomfortable! You don't really notice it from just taking it out for a test drive. Poor inside storage design - the double glove box and under seat storage is nice, but the other cubby holes are practically useless. And it's crazy to put cup holders in the door - your drink spills when shutting the door. The gas mileage is also quite disappointing. Wish we never traded in our 2005 Toyota Matrix.

Hard Ride
By ken117 on 02/22/11 04:49 AM (PST)

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Had a 2009 CRV EX-L 4WD. Overall it was a nice vehicle. However, there are a few things which make the vehicle difficult for longer trips. First is the road noise. By far the worst I have ever had in a vehicle. Second is the lack of power. The engine is just too timid to function will at highway speeds. Third is the excessive hard interior plastics. I also felt the leather was too much like vinyl. I found the vehicle wonderful for use around town but for any long trips the ride was far too uncomfortable.

Great in snow (and all year round)
By darwinzfolly on 12/31/10 10:55 AM (PST)

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Tested the CRV's mettle in a recent MN snowstorm (where we got 20 inches of snow). On the way home from work, the car plowed through the snow as if it wasn't there. I was impressed & felt very safe. It's great for shopping,hauling people and pets, and gets decent mileage.

At 9000 miles
By ChuckfromLI on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Gas mileage has improved tremendously since the engine is broken in. Currently getting over 22 MPG in crowded suburban driving, up from 18 or so. Still very, very happy with the car. No problems, comfortable in the front and rear.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda CR-V in VA is:

$117 per month*