2008 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2008 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

OK, but the 03 was better I think
By anghel

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I owned an 03 CRV EX, I bought the 08 model. Other than the turning radius which the CRV, and more stability with strong winds and rain, there's not much comparison. I loved my old CRV way better. First, the new CRV struggles with acceleration worse than the old one. The 6 cd changer is placed on the cup holders between the front seats and the cd holders look like old sandwich boxes. And this structure is permanently attached that if you drop something on its sides, makes for difficult cleaning. There is less head/leg room. Side mirror adjustments were moved. Trunk space is less. No picnic table. The tires gave at 30K miles. So loud too.

Favorite Features

Driver seat adjustment mechanism. GPS. Stability with strong winds. Improved with driving on wet roads. Seat warmers. Extra storage on dash. Turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

6 cd changer need to be more accessible. Cup holder between front seats need to be movable for easy cleaning. More trunk space. Other accessories like the table. Better material for dash and door. Better acceleration. Do something with the tires and they are sooo loud!

Well worth the money
By Dan

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

So far I have owned my 2008 CRV for 8 months. After my Mitsubishi Galant was totaled in a fire, I bought this baby. I was surprised how well the vehicle handled, how well the fuel economy was, and how comfortable the interior was. I achieve about 21 mpg in the city on average, while achieving an average of about 28 mpg on the highway. Overall, great vehicle and I certainly recommend it to others.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy, friendly center stack, easy to use HVAC and radio controls, nice handling, many safety features, peace of mind from solid reputation of reliability. A very solid vehicle at a good price.

Suggested Improvements

Find some way to suppress loud engine moan during acceleration. More cushioning for seats. The CRV also seems a bit underpowered. 5th speed hesitates to engage at highway speeds at times.

Great except for gas mileage
By Melanie

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm surprised in other comments that most people get much better gas mileage than I do. I get around 17 in town and 24 on the highway, and I don't drive that aggressively. At first I thought it was winter driving conditions, but it gets about the same in the summer as it does in the winter, regardless of the ethanol in the gas or the snow on the ground. I'm getting rid of it now that I'm moving to a southern state and will be doing a lot of in-town driving. It's an okay car and I do like it, but totally not worth the gas- guzzling aspect of it. One good thing I have to say is that I'm getting a better trade-in value than I had expected. At least other people think it's a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Hatch-back; stability in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

Gas efficiency!

Poor plastic choice for interior
By Bear

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The plastic used in the interior is easily scratched. The luxury model lacks many common feature such as automatic headlights or lumbar support for the passenger. The sun visor does not keep the sun out very well. My wife hates this vehicle. I do not recommend this model.

Suggested Improvements

Change interior plastic to a more durable type.

Practical but Fun
By Mike

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

MPG depends. Oregon uses 10% ethanol. Hwy=26-28. In non ethanol states Hwy=29-31 (moderate hills and 70 mph). My combined average after 3,000 is 25mpg with 70/30 mix. No race car but smooth and responsive. Visibility is actually good (I wondered). I'm a single man who is very active. It works great: surfboards on top, bikes fit inside, etc. There is really a lot of room for the MPG. For those who think it is too female, get over yourselves - it is a car that does what you want. I was looking for wagon but US has few / SUV's are too big and inefficient (and many have no inside room). The Subaru is better AWD but smaller with same MPG and this was over $1000 less. Works for me.

Favorite Features

Handling is sporty. Very comfortable including seats (firm but support is good over a longer trip). Was a good value compared to competition. Quiet if road isn't rough. Versatile for active lifestyle. Flat floors. Visibility is good. Sunroof works well (no buffeting). Many small thoughtful touches.

Suggested Improvements

Tires are hard and loud - a real weak point. The roof rack should be designed where crossbars easily come off and on. Gas tank should be 17.5 instead of 15 gal. A little more power would be nice. Low headlight cutoff too low. Would love backseats like the fit. Better sound dampening underneath.

I Love My Honda CRV
By Dr of Golf

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This has got to be the best Honda that we've ever owned. The mileage is fantastic for an SUV-type vehicle and the space is great. The mileage compares to our old Honda Accord. Our new CRV is fun to drive and we love taking it out on the highway where it gives us about 32 mpg. We average about 25 mpg in town. Can't say enough about the great gas mileage and the fun it is to drive. Best economical car we've ever owned. Like it almost as much as our Mercedes 560SL ... almost.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, great gas mileage, and lots and lots of room for golf clubs, luggage, and 5 people.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

14 months and 32k with 2008 CR-V
By peterdh2000

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have 90 mile daily commute, good mpg required, thus had to pass on any V6 SUV's. CR-V won't thrill with acceleration, but I routinely have 4 adults, a baby, and a load of Costco purchases aboard, and it handles hills and merges just fine. Nimble handling, good sight lines, excellent brakes. 2008 had several crazy snowstorms in Pacific NW. CR-V AWD handled quite well, although the stock Bridgestone tires not the greatest and at 32k are almost spent. Nary a squeak or rattle, except for a whistling sound from the A/C every so often. Rogue was a close second, having Bluetooth, Xenon, Bose, but also fixed rear seat and headrests, and a little less solid feeling.

Favorite Features

Good MPG, adjustable rear seat, spacious, comfortable, well-equipped, plastic cladding to protect from rock chips, adept transmission, build quality evident.

Suggested Improvements

Just piddly things--Wimpy seat heaters, no RDS on radio, XM display does not scroll, items like foglights, roof rack, door guards all dealer-installed at outrageous prices, should be standard.

2008 Honda CR-V
By jjh

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my CR-V for about 6 months now. In general, it's a very nice car to drive, has decent handling, good mpg for a small SUV, and is very nicely designed. The power is rather lacking, but it's only a 4 cylinder, and I find myself continuously frustrated that it is only sold as an automatic. However, the general reliability, safety, performance, and resale value of CR-Vs made this my first choice because of the arrival of our new baby. If no baby, I would never have purchased this vehicle simply due to personal taste... I'm a truck person.

Favorite Features

Nice seat adjustments. Compact yet good cargo space with fold down seats.

Suggested Improvements

Include a full size spare. Include a drain rail on the hatchback so that when it's raining and you open the back, the water doesn't come dripping down all over you. Offer it in a manual transmission!!

Features are now top notch
By Mac

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Sold a '99 CRV when the 2008 came with power driver's seat. It comes with so much more: Heated seats, tilt & telescope steering, dual a/c, TPMS, service calculation for oil change, etc. Wish it had auto headlights and auto rear view mirror. Nevertheless, this is one terrific vehicle, especially at the price of $25,000 for the EX-L. We tested all the best and the CRV was just a clear winner. My wife has subsequently bought the runner up for herself- the Nissan Rogue SL because it now comes with leather on the FWD, which was not avail. in 2008.

Sporty Chick CUV!
By Kari

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Absolutely designed for a women. Love the purse spot in front of console & steering wheel is sized right. This CUV is built vault-like solid, from solid door closures to 1st class switchgear w/ great tactile feel. CRV has the nicest interior between the Forester & Rav 4 (by far). Dual temp controls work great & is fantastic when my husband is riding along. Gas mileage is lower than expected avg 22mpg. Only complaint is you feel all road imperfections.

Favorite Features

Leather, heated seats. Shelf in back cargo. AWD works seamlessly. Tight turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Add more sound insulation, auto headlights, bluetooth.