Used 2008 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Most Helpful|
Tire and AC problems - lemon
By BH

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First problem when car was around 1.5 years old with 31,000 km I was told I needed new tires. Dealership indicated they put cheap tires on the vehicle. I have never had to put new tires on any of our vehicles until the 70,000 km mark. Next problem when car was 2.5 years old, in July, on one of the hottest days in Canada, the air conditioning stopped working. We were told after a $99.00 diagnosis problem that we needed a new part - a sensor wasn't working but there is one small problem, the part is on back order and you can't have it fixed until October and guess what it is not under warranty. Cost will be approximately $700.Our AC will work about the time the snow flies.

Suggested Improvements

Tires and AC system - when a part is so popular on a fairly new car that is on back order suggests a manufacturing defect - should be covered by warranty and is not. Will never buy another Honda

Great SUV with some exceptions
By azdesertguy

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My CR-V is great except for two issues that have really bugged me. 1. Noisy tires 2. No auto headlight turn off How in the world can a manufacture be so stupid to leave a feature off auto headlight turn off. I had the least equipped 2004 Vibe and it had auto headlight turn off. I figured the top of the model should have this feature. Talk about stupidity in the first degree!!!!!! Then noisy tires....yikes!! I have had people not wanting to ride with me due to the fact the tire noise is so high it would give one the impression the stupid wheels are going to fall off due to bad wheel bearings. Fortunately, I had this checked and all the noise is from tires....

Favorite Features

I like the response of the engine. Getting away from stops is fine. Ride is satisfactory, gas mileage is good. Interior features are good. Seating is comfortable and like the power driver's seat settings.

Suggested Improvements

1. Add auto headlight turn off 2. Better insulation or whatever it takes to quiet the road noise!! This alone is cause enough to where I wouldn't buy another CR-V. I've owned many cars as I have a lot of years on and have to say this alone is a killer for me as far as ever buying another one. In fact I don't think I will keep this noisy beast much longer!!

This CUV/SUV is great!!!
By chuckles0505

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I absolutely adore mine! I bought it a couple of years ago, and I love it -- it is 100% better than the stupid Civic I had, a definite lemon, unfortunately. However, the CRV makes up for all that!!! It handles wonderfully, is quiet, has enough power for me, and has caused me no problems whatsoever!!! What a relief to finally have such a great car!!

Favorite Features

I think it's cute, it's easy and fun to drive, I love the size, it's just right for me!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that's bad to me is the configuration of the back seats and folding up out of the way. It isn't nearly as nice as the Honda Odyssey (?) I had from 1998. Oh, the gas mileage is the pits, too. Pretty bad. I get 22mpg in the city but over 30 on the freeway, or so it says!!! Well, maybe the mileage gizmo on the dash isn't working. 33 does seem kind of unrealistic. But I don't have the AWD either. Overall I get 23 to 24.

Long Term Review of 2008 Honda CRV LX 2wd
By asuchemist

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 2008 Honda CRV LX 2wd is nearing 110K miles. Paid $17K brand new in 2008. The vehicle is a no thrill people mover. Interior material is average for the time and holding up. Oil and Transmission fluid changes are easy. Oil change interval 5K miles and transmission change intervals done every 15K miles. After a couple of years the interior has developed a rattle and at stops in drive the motor has some vibration (motor mount design). The CRV has enough power for on freeway acceleration. Kept everything standard, no upgrades. Normal things I have done: -Front and rear brakes (finally after 100K miles on them) -New rotors -New Shocks and struts (front back)

Favorite Features

--avg 28MPG --easy maintenance

Suggested Improvements

--better paint (paint chips like crazy) --better door locks (TSB fixed) --better rack and pinion (leaking) --better exterior design --decrease cabin noise

Was excited now disappointed
By desertguy2

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2008 CR-V as a certified vehicle. Based on Honda's reputation, I was expecting a vehicle to be quite reliable. That's not been the case! First problem was tires cupping so bad it was terribly noisy in the vehicle. Even after regular alignment checks by Honda dealership! Finally solved the problem by having upper control arms added to rear wheels and now have a new set of Michelin Defender tires and good wheel alignment. Power door locks have been a problem. Have had to replace two already. My first problem was discovering no automatic headlights. What a dumb decision to leave this feature off an EX-L model!!

Favorite Features

Leather interior & seats, power driver's seat, sun roof, Sirius radio, roomy interior, quality interior materials, satisfactory gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Headlights, improve power door locks, add adjustment to rear wheels to allow better alignment to eliminate premature tire wear and cupping.